• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mini As A Family Car

Yasith

Hi,

I am searching to buy a Mini to be used as a family car. I need to clarify few things before making my final decision.

1.Some says that Classic Minis are more difficult to maintain than Modified Minis; is it true?

2.I have checked few 3 Sri, 4 Sri, and 5 Sri Mini Minors; but I haven’t come across no newer Mini cars for Sale (e.g. 7 Sri – 11 Sri), even though I have seen them in Mini events. Is it very difficult to find a newer Mini (for Sale) in Sri Lanka OR Are they very expensive?

3.What is the usability of Mini Car for long distance travels (say I have to travel Colombo to Bandarawela once in every 3 months, and Colombo to Galle once in every 2 months)?

4.My Budget is 7k; will I be able to find a decent Mini for that price?

Edited by Yasith

I think you will be better off buying a newer Japanese car to be used as a family car, and will give you more comfort in long distance journeys. That said there are certain Minis that have frequented the Colombo - Jafna A9 many times.

A Mini will make a great weekend car in my opnion.

Miniace over to you... :rolleyes:

Edited by madmax

Personal opinion, its not really the best tourer to use on a long trip like Bandarawela, specially if any member of your family are large. And if your family is more than 3, there is also luggage space to consider.

That said, as a fun car to drive on that road.... :D

Hi,

I am searching to buy a Mini to be used as a family car. I need to clarify few things before making my final decision.

1.Some says that Classic Minis are more difficult to maintain than Modified Minis; is it true?

2.I have checked few 3 Sri, 4 Sri, and 5 Sri Mini Minors; but I haven’t come across no newer Mini cars for Sale (e.g. 7 Sri – 11 Sri), even though I have seen them in Mini events. Is it very difficult to find a newer Mini (for Sale) in Sri Lanka OR Are they very expensive?

3.What is the usability of Mini Car for long distance travels (say I have to travel Colombo to Bandarawela once in every 3 months, and Colombo to Galle once in every 2 months)?

4.My Budget is 7k; will I be able to find a decent Mini for that price?

Most of the older ones on sale for higher prices have been re-furbished using parts imported from Japan and Uk (Usually from broken up models.) these are much easier to use as a daily runner run because the parts used are more modern...(disk brakes, dashboard gauges, carburettors, radiators, electric fans and if you're lucky an aircon too.) - such an example would be within your budget.

The un-modified ones of the same vintage would be little more difficult to run and you could expect to have to do things like - check the radiator water level daily, replace brake washers once in 6 months and also stall frequently in heavy rain (if your electrical system is not maintained perfectly) -

Also if you don't do the majority of your running on carpeted roads, I wouldn't recommend one as a daily runner because the car would literally shake itself to pieces on account of the limited suspension travel and low ground clearance. Basically a mini would need a lot of TLC. For a daily runner I would recommend a used jap car like a starlet or March.

Edited by nira74

Hi Yasith!

Mini is an Ideal daily runner especially in Colombo. when traveling with young children, the two door restriction offer an idyllic safety. My garage always fleeted one or more Minis. When I was based in Vavunia my Mini consistently took me safely up and down nearly thrice a month in A9 covering more than 1500km a month for more than a year. Yet never gave me snags.

I know many from Mini club return trips to hill country repeatedly. Minis need to run regularly, or else superfluous holdups occur. The only secret is regular servicing and attending faults/snags (irrespective of toleration offers) hurriedly.

Most of the SL Minis are now rebodied ,re-engined and emerge as switched steadfast runners. No truth behind high maintenance costs and reliability issues. An Ideal car for Colombo runs, no traffic conquering complexities, no parking space issues, hardly stopped at road blocks or by cops (instead they admire).

Agree with the high tags and Minis always stayed high and market keeps on rising. Its not difficult to find a good Mini and Autolanka marketed few good ones recently.

MINIACE

I totally agree with mini ace. me and my other half with our two boys use our mini daily for last three years or so. and she has not given us any trouble. the key thing is you MUST lookafter her more closely. i.e dont wait for some sound to occur to check the if the break pads are ok or not. etc., just maintain her regulaly. thats all.

for me mini is not a car, it's more than that which i still stuggle to understand. ! so if you want to buy a mini and use it just like other jap car, then dont do it.

what i'm trying to say is if you dont have a feeling for a mini then it will not work out no matter how good it is.

A little OT, but this is true....Minis are similar to Land rovers in many ways...

K89 u r right..

-------

"for me mini is not a car, it's more than that which i still stuggle to understand. ! so if you want to buy a mini and use it just like other jap car, then dont do it.

what i'm trying to say is if you dont have a feeling for a mini then it will not work out no matter how good it is. "

-------

This is just for the interest of LR enthusiasts....K89s phrase is true and generic for most of the english vehicles....

mini, moke, Land rovers, MG owners...replace the word MINI with the word you prefer accordingly

Edited by lakshank

what you travelled on the A9 in a Mini? man that road was in an awful state when i last drove in 2004,full of potholes!,have you ever travelled all the way to jaffna in your Mini? heard that there were a few Minis running in war torn jaffna too but i didnt see any in 2004

Hi Yasith!

Mini is an Ideal daily runner especially in Colombo. when traveling with young children, the two door restriction offer an idyllic safety. My garage always fleeted one or more Minis. When I was based in Vavunia my Mini consistently took me safely up and down nearly thrice a month in A9 covering more than 1500km a month for more than a year. Yet never gave me snags.

I know many from Mini club return trips to hill country repeatedly. Minis need to run regularly, or else superfluous holdups occur. The only secret is regular servicing and attending faults/snags (irrespective of toleration offers) hurriedly.

Most of the SL Minis are now rebodied ,re-engined and emerge as switched steadfast runners. No truth behind high maintenance costs and reliability issues. An Ideal car for Colombo runs, no traffic conquering complexities, no parking space issues, hardly stopped at road blocks or by cops (instead they admire).

Agree with the high tags and Minis always stayed high and market keeps on rising. Its not difficult to find a good Mini and Autolanka marketed few good ones recently.

MINIACE

what you travelled on the A9 in a Mini? man that road was in an awful state when i last drove in 2004,full of potholes!,have you ever travelled all the way to jaffna in your Mini? heard that there were a few Minis running in war torn jaffna too but i didnt see any in 2004

No I have never travelled to Jaffna in a Mini but travelled upto Mannar and Trinco once .(I'll get killed if I go beyond Omanthai :lol: )

Never seen but heard about two Jaffna Minis (third one is an Austin 1100).One a red and other one a white.A9 beyond Medawachchiya is not that good.Duplication road is much worse even without pot holes!!

MINIACE

Many thanks to all of you guys! Your speedy responds very useful as well as illuminate the level of dynamism of this forum, and supportiveness of Mini lover’s community in Sri Lanka. This gives me more confidence to buy a Mini as I am pretty sure that I will be able to get some help if needed in maintenance.

Let me explain a bit of history behind my enthusiasm about Mini Cars…

It started few months back where I started search for a Car. As a person with somewhat different mindset, I wanted to buy not just a Car, but a car with attitude and personality. That’s how I started fallen in love with Minis. Especially I love Mini Coopers (yes! I know; many of them in Sri Lanka are not real Jonny Cooper Minis). I also should confess that the Film “Italian Job” had some impact. Last few months l gain some knowledge about Mini Cars (many thanks to this forum and other internet resources).

Fortunately or unfortunately, once I get started knowing about Minis, the passion for the car exponentially increased. At the moment I badly want to drive a Mini. However, my wife is not fully convince about my decision (she also like Minis, but not much as I; talking about my family size….it’s 2… hopefully it will be 3 in next few years). The reason behind the about questions to avoid potential “I told you…..” kind of comments from my wife in the future (say when we are stuck in some where in between Balangoda to Beragala).

As many of you commented, Mini is car which is very hard not to fallen in love with. Hopefully I’ll be one of proud owner of a one in next few months.

By the way I need another help from you guys…. (I don’t whether this is ethical to ask or not in this forum)…. Can you please let me know if any of you come across a Mini (Cooper like) for sale?

He was supplying “Karathakolamban” to Jaffna from Colombo. :action-smiley-060:

However, my wife is not fully convince about my decision (she also like Minis, but not much as I; talking about my family size….it’s 2… hopefully it will be 3 in next few years). The reason behind the about questions to avoid potential “I told you…..” kind of comments from my wife in the future (say when we are stuck in some where in between Balangoda to Beragala).

You can get a cue from MRM or Madmax, of how to handle your wife and the Mini together. They succeeded. :grinning-smiley-043:

You can get a cue from MRM or Madmax, of how to handle your wife and the Mini together. They succeeded. :grinning-smiley-043:

take her to mighty mini get togethers , explain the mini will not go out of fashion like other jap cars . little bit of marketing here & there will do

after you buy the car dont let her drive it untill you get the car fully done & dont get her to compare it with jap cars in the same budget as miniace & lakshan told and explain this is not only a car ,

my car has been with me just more than a year & still certain things to be done, but i drive it with her as if the car is perfect, :rolleyes: but she love it

& have no plans of selling it

as everyone said take care of it, if i dont have money to do a cetain repair i dont run it untill i get it done .

thanks alot MRM,

take her to mighty mini get togethers , explain the mini will not go out of fashion like other jap cars . little bit of marketing here & there will do
I did that; in fact I took her to the Formula World Exhibition and show her the Minis (outside; at the Car park), and now she also like the Car.

The only problem I have is, she works for a company where there are many car expert guys….she has told them that we are going to buy a mini. And they have given some feedback (including some negative feedbacks such as, High maintenance cost; lesser comfort…etc ). However, at the moment situation is under control….specially after seen those mini coopers at the BMICH.

after you buy the car dont let her drive it untill you get the car fully done & dont get her to compare it with jap cars in the same budget as miniace & lakshan told and explain this is not only a car ,

my car has been with me just more than a year & still certain things to be done, but i drive it with her as if the car is perfect,

This is a very good point; I should keep this in mind

One of my friend told me about the Garage in Nawinna which sells as well as modifies, develops minis. He said it is own by a person called Saman.....Does anybody know about this garage....and can somebody give me the directions to it

Yasith...another point

When you own a mini your wife doesnt need to be worried about you gong after girls...you will be busy looking after your mini...dandifying it..etc..Your wife will realize that.

just a joke machan...but this is true...when u own something classy there develops a big bond with that.

Yasith...another point

When you own a mini your wife doesnt need to be worried about you gong after girls...you will be busy looking after your mini...dandifying it..etc..Your wife will realize that.

just a joke machan...but this is true...when u own something classy there develops a big bond with that.

Definitely a good point; she will recognize that Mini will be the solution to my Video Game and TV addition. Seriously guys…after hearing these adoring stories I can not wait till I get my hand on a Mini.

• 1 month later...

hi you guys well alot of mini talk,for me to contribute to this i must say owning a mini is just fab, i hv got three of them ,minis are great and they are just head turners on the road if its in great nik.as you may say amini is similar to wearing a denim as it could be worn to any function .