• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Apple's Iphone

Lalithster

So Devinda was asking about the iphone and how it stacks up. First of all

Sorry for the delay but I've been really busy these few weeks and got a chance to play with it a lot more so I could give a better opinion.

Well first impressions were that it is very skinny and not that big compared to other phones. It is very thin very nice looking, as all apple products are. But lets first start with the bad. The phone does not support 3G and is on the slow EDGE network which only has speeds of 130kps for the internet. But on the other hand it does connect to Wifi networks so it is fast when u are near a hotspot. 3rd party applications are not allowed. Only apple approved applications are allowed for the phone. The phone is GSM quad band but it is locked to the US ATT network. However there are plenty of unlock software for it now. People are using the phone all types of GSM networks. I've unlocked mine so I should be able to use it on the dialog network in SL. According to Devinda dialog is using the EDGE and will upgrade to 3G soon. Now the good. The touch screen is simply amazing I have never used anything like it and its easy to type on especailly if ur used to the qwerty keyboard. Email access is really easy as well as going online. The web browser is just like the one on ur desktop. The widescreen ipod is great for watching videos and looking at websites. The 2 megapixil camera on the phone is not that good I took some samples and they are posted below. The technolgy built into this phone is phenomenal the ease of use is also amazing. There is a proximity sensor, an ambiet light sensor, heat sensor, and a gyroscope to tell which way the phone is being viewed. IF you turn it on its side the page flips to the side view. All in all thought the EDGE network is slow, the other techno add ons make it a pretty cool phone.

Capacity

* 8GB flash drive1

Display

* 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display

* 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 160 dpi

* Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Operating system

* OS X

GSM

* Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Wireless data

* Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)

* EDGE

* Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Camera

* 2.0 megapixels

Audio

* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

* Audio formats supported: AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 1, 2, and 3), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Video

* Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second,

My 30gig Ipod vide, Iphone, and ipod nano

DSC09320.jpg

DSC09334.jpg

autolanka.com on the iphone

DSC09337.jpg

A native app for stocks

DSC09338.jpg

Cover flow for the iphone's music

DSC09346.jpg

Thickness compared to the nano

DSC09347.jpg

Camera Phone comparison

Photo taken on Iphone

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

Taken on Sony Digital Camera

6-2007046.jpg

Edited by Lalithster

Nice review.. however I gotta disagree with the ease of use part.. while the phone has a wonderful UI the typing system implemented does not suit most of the people. The reason being that most of them are used for a feel of the keypad rather than having to really know the location of the letters on screen. I have used the IPhone a bit and whereas it excels most in attractiveness, it has plenty of drawbacks. Firstly being the 2 MP camera, extremely limited range of application compatibility (apple). Though it suits people who love styling and attractiveness, when it comes to functionality it is a real let down :(

More phones are added now to the market to directly compete with the IPhone and work on its weaknesses, so I suppose an era of touchscreen mobile interface s are just beginning lol. Only time will tell..

Zz

heard from a friend of mine that there is a chap who unlocks these phones in SL...

Anyone can unlock the phone as long as you have an internet connection cause the software is free and online. The App is really simple and easy to use.

there are some let downs but overall I think its got some innovative apps.

I too need help in unlocking a Softbank phone....model is 810sh....ne one who cn hlp...

nice phone. i like the new touch screen Ipod. that look simmilar to the iphone. anyways i can see you a big fan of apple. can see the white macbook behind you is it intel base one the one before. good on you mate.

nice phone. i like the new touch screen Ipod. that look simmilar to the iphone. anyways i can see you a big fan of apple. can see the white macbook behind you is it intel base one the one before. good on you mate.

i kno most folks in SL r xited ab tthe iPhone!! well it;s kwel.. i use it for many stuff.. VNC, SSH, ect.. blah..blah… it can have dozens of third part applications installed to easy my work.. n i was one of the first ppl to stay in da freakin line for 2 hours on the first week to buy a iPhone.,. bottom line.. it;s awesome..AMEN! D

so far manage to unlock 23 iPhone to my folks as a hobby n i tried on my roaming DIALOG SIM n it;s work.. this aint bullshyt.. i kno most folks may wonder who da F*** is this.. hahahaaa.. so if u owns a iPhone in SL, let me kno i can guide u easily to unlock..

• 2 months later...

i'll have my iphone in 2 days, a friend will bring one from the USA. In Germany they cost 999 euro's, in New York only 300. Maybe I miss a feature or two, but I think I can live with that :)

• 8 months later...

I always like apple products. Clean unique design of UI and Hardware. but worst part is if you wanna ever to upgrade iPhones firmware (Due to bugs, latest addon features) you gonna have to pay for the upgrade which doesn't happen with Nokia or any other major mobile brands. and other bad (Very Bad) thing is you cant replace the batteries on them. (sure there are ways, but for regular user it's impossible) i think these problems are common for most Apple products like iPods. Compared with Features and above cons, i Always like my Nokia.

I always like apple products. Clean unique design of UI and Hardware. but worst part is if you wanna ever to upgrade iPhones firmware (Due to bugs, latest addon features) you gonna have to pay for the upgrade which doesn't happen with Nokia or any other major mobile brands. and other bad (Very Bad) thing is you cant replace the batteries on them. (sure there are ways, but for regular user it's impossible) i think these problems are common for most Apple products like iPods. Compared with Features and above cons, i Always like my Nokia.

Apple's products these days sell more on PR than product superiority ! The new iphone certainly stands out for its user interface which is superior to anything else in the market, but the same probably cannot be said for their other products which I feel is more PR than substance.

For example the new MacBook Air is simply impractical, and the pc options available in the guise of the Lenovo X Series and Toshiba U series are actually more usable machines as they are complete PC's with nothing needing to be docked on while only marginally being heavier than the air, and also being a bit more robust !

Since failing to secure the Sony Cell processor for their new line of MacBooks and Power PC's these machines have become PC equivalents ! and if not for the Mac OS would more or less be a bog standard over priced, PC !

What they have successfully done is re engineer their image and associate themselves with the term "cool" and most people who buy Apple products these days buy them for the image factor than for substance !

What they have successfully done is re engineer their image and associate themselves with the term "cool" and most people who buy Apple products these days buy them for the image factor than for substance !

Hmm.. cool part is true but "most people who buy Apple products these days buy them for the image factor than for substance !" is not necessarily true me thinks...

say a quad core G5 with a good studio display is a formidable platform for lotsa content developers...

I prefer apple over PC anyday due to it's far superior graphics capabilities and color accuracy....

and unlike windows...OSX hardly quits on you...

In my windows days...i would have to restart windows 4-5 times during a days work cos it hangs up...

with OSX and even classic... turn the machine on in the morning and turn it off after you're done... no crashes, no viruses and no system hangups...

so at least IMHO... there is SUBSTANCE :P i think it really depends on what you use it for... :)

as you can see... I'm a brainwashed apple use who doesn't even know the fact that i'm "brainwashed"

On ipods... i own a creative Zen and a Ipod Nano... prefer the Zen cos to me it sounds way better than the ipod... But pioneer have a deal with apple and made their stereos work with ipods so for the car, ipod works lot better cos you can browse through you ipod library right off the pioneer headunit...

btw... the Zen is a lot cheaper than the Ipod.. :) design doesn't look bad either

Hmm.. cool part is true but "most people who buy Apple products these days buy them for the image factor than for substance !" is not necessarily true me thinks...

say a quad core G5 with a good studio display is a formidable platform for lotsa content developers...

I prefer apple over PC anyday due to it's far superior graphics capabilities and color accuracy....

and unlike windows...OSX hardly quits on you...

In my windows days...i would have to restart windows 4-5 times during a days work cos it hangs up...

with OSX and even classic... turn the machine on in the morning and turn it off after you're done... no crashes, no viruses and no system hangups...

so at least IMHO... there is SUBSTANCE :P i think it really depends on what you use it for... :)

as you can see... I'm a brainwashed apple use who doesn't even know the fact that i'm "brainwashed"

On ipods... i own a creative Zen and a Ipod Nano... prefer the Zen cos to me it sounds way better than the ipod... But pioneer have a deal with apple and made their stereos work with ipods so for the car, ipod works lot better cos you can browse through you ipod library right off the pioneer headunit...

btw... the Zen is a lot cheaper than the Ipod.. :) design doesn't look bad either

Ripper was reflecting on the hardware than Mac OS

But to be fair Windows have a much more difficult task to achieve as it needs to achieve compatibility with a wide range of hardware devices, and this is really where this inherent instability comes about (cos it requires a hardware abstraction layer HAL.dll ?? rings a bell ? to provide this sort of compatibility) Apple on the other hand needs to achieve compatibility with a very limited number of configurations and it doesn't take a lot of brain cells to realise this is a much easier job !

Ever wondered why Apple doesn't release Mac OSX for PC's ? when all of their new "Intel Macs" are PC's !

It was different when Apple used Power PC's and their hardware architecture was very different from a PC. But things have moved on. If they managed to secure supply of Sony Cell processors for their latest generation of macs, things would have been different and we would have truly had a breed of Macs miles ahead of PC's but this did not happen.

And as you know Mac OSx in the end of the day is based on Unix. But then again so is Linux, and versions of Ubuntu are coming very close to achieving the level of user friendliness which at some point will challenge Mac OSx as its already inherited the inherent stability of Unix (this is because of better process isolation in the Unix system compared to Windows so one failure doesn't bring the whole thing down !).

Windows haven't done themselves any favours with Vista, which is just plain annoying !

I mean I take on board what you said about stability and performance, and as a Mac owner I enjoy the same ! but there are still compromises to be made !

But I do still think Steve Jobs and Apple have a very good PR team which has placed their products in the EXACT way they needed to and approached different markets at exactly the right time and in doing so built the brand which now sells the products ! And there is a lot of image engineering which has gone in to this, as their products have somewhat lost the technical superiority they once used to have !

I mean a lot of MP3 players are built better and sound better than Ipods, but look around and all I see are Ipods ! And apparently the new Mac Books are selling like hot cakes and apple has increased their market share in the PC market.

I would say this as well though, the new IPhone 3G is a very good product, and hopefully other manufacturers will take note. The only thing annoying about it is lack of a proper num pad as I and a lot of people prefer to type blindly and this cannot be done without feed back to your fingers! But things like their web browser are phenomenally good and so is their big screen ! I'm not going to abandon my Nokia N series yet though, cos there are still advantages to using a Symbian S60 phone, notably the applications!

Ripper was reflecting on the hardware than Mac OS

But to be fair Windows have a much more difficult task to achieve as it needs to achieve compatibility with a wide range of hardware devices, and this is really where this inherent instability comes about (cos it requires a hardware abstraction layer HAL.dll ?? rings a bell ? to provide this sort of compatibility) Apple on the other hand needs to achieve compatibility with a very limited number of configurations and it doesn't take a lot of brain cells to realise this is a much easier job !

Ever wondered why Apple doesn't release Mac OSX for PC's ? when all of their new "Intel Macs" are PC's !

It was different when Apple used Power PC's and their hardware architecture was very different from a PC. But things have moved on. If they managed to secure supply of Sony Cell processors for their latest generation of macs, things would have been different and we would have truly had a breed of Macs miles ahead of PC's but this did not happen.

And as you know Mac OSx in the end of the day is based on Unix. But then again so is Linux, and versions of Ubuntu are coming very close to achieving the level of user friendliness which at some point will challenge Mac OSx as its already inherited the inherent stability of Unix (this is because of better process isolation in the Unix system compared to Windows so one failure doesn't bring the whole thing down !).

Windows haven't done themselves any favours with Vista, which is just plain annoying !

I mean I take on board what you said about stability and performance, and as a Mac owner I enjoy the same ! but there are still compromises to be made !

But I do still think Steve Jobs and Apple have a very good PR team which has placed their products in the EXACT way they needed to and approached different markets at exactly the right time and in doing so built the brand which now sells the products ! And there is a lot of image engineering which has gone in to this, as their products have somewhat lost the technical superiority they once used to have !

I mean a lot of MP3 players are built better and sound better than Ipods, but look around and all I see are Ipods ! And apparently the new Mac Books are selling like hot cakes and apple has increased their market share in the PC market.

I would say this as well though, the new IPhone 3G is a very good product, and hopefully other manufacturers will take note. The only thing annoying about it is lack of a proper num pad as I and a lot of people prefer to type blindly and this cannot be done without feed back to your fingers! But things like their web browser are phenomenally good and so is their big screen ! I'm not going to abandon my Nokia N series yet though, cos there are still advantages to using a Symbian S60 phone, notably the applications!

lolz... i'm not that good with hardware stuff anymore... did my diploma over 8 years or so ago :lol:

those days macs ruled the ground with far superior bus speeds on their hardware front which made PC's of similar spec look pretty bad..

on macbooks...two fellas @work bought these latest ones and both of them are in love with their touch pads :) both buggers have retired their mouse... I aint ready to give up my wacom just yet :angry-smiley-048:

anyways... like you say...maybe the gap between mac and apple have reduced over the years.... but just because both are using intel chips doens't really make them equal right?

how about boards etc...

suppose if one can get a custom pc with the best config available and test it against a mac of similar specs... one might get a better idea which machine is indeed the better over the other... :)

and on apple marketing... not only they have good PR they have excellent advertising and superb product development folks... The best commercial to date is a commercial for apple :)

lolz... i'm not that good with hardware stuff anymore... did my diploma over 8 years or so ago :lol:

those days macs ruled the ground with far superior bus speeds on their hardware front which made PC's of similar spec look pretty bad..

on macbooks...two fellas @work bought these latest ones and both of them are in love with their touch pads :) both buggers have retired their mouse... I aint ready to give up my wacom just yet :angry-smiley-048:

anyways... like you say...maybe the gap between mac and apple have reduced over the years.... but just because both are using intel chips doens't really make them equal right?

how about boards etc...

suppose if one can get a custom pc with the best config available and test it against a mac of similar specs... one might get a better idea which machine is indeed the better over the other... :)

and on apple marketing... not only they have good PR they have excellent advertising and superb product development folks... The best commercial to date is a commercial for apple :)

The Apple Mac Book Pro I have is an intel 2.4GHz Core 2 duo on an intel board (made by Apple of course but based on the intel reference design) and has a G Force Graphics card and intel sound I believe. On paper there are enough products out there which can match this spec. What makes the difference is Mac OS, Apples minimalist design and light weight for a 15.4 screened laptop ! which is quite impressive. But its not rocket science you know, in the sense there isn't anything there which is ground breaking !

The Air on the other hand is a genuinely ground breaking design, the problem being its done so by getting rid of an awful lot of stuff to maintain the low profile ! Its still impressive but hardly practical as a work machine !

Yeps Apples product development team is excellent, and I particularly like the way they have taken HCI (Human Computer Interaction) to a new level. That is really where Apple has made the difference. When they lost their hardware superiority they have concentrated more and more on HCI and that's what has endeared the new Apple products to people, apart from the image factor which was truly started by the IPod.

I mean, I do not know if you've tried Windows Vista, but it obviously was developed by people who either didn't understand HCI or didn't care about HCI. It has managed to wipe out most of the advantage Microsoft had with Windows in trying to re engineer the look and feel (I mean one of the reasons people stick to Windows is they have gotten used to how it works, you change it significantly and you loose that advantage) its very hungry for resources, and its new interactive interface, while supposedly more secure is a nuisance !

I tried to get me a 3g i phone frm u.s.a ...my brother is in u.s now he'll be here in next month...but unfortunatly ths apple guys have a contract with AT&T....we can't get it without at&t connection..

i think ebay sells unlocked iphones... even amazon should have them...

it sounds a lil weird that apple would sign an agreement with only one exclusive operator :unsure:

I tried to get me a 3g i phone frm u.s.a ...my brother is in u.s now he'll be here in next month...but unfortunatly ths apple guys have a contract with AT&T....we can't get it without at&t connection..

There are few fellas who can unlock iPhones in Sri Lanka. but I'm not sure about the 3G version. ill try to get his contact number. then you might be able to ask him whether it's possible or not.