• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifications External And Internal

Gummybr

Question

I'm thinking of doing up my old car in the near future and am looking at getting the following things done. Its a 1979 model Lancer A72 (Tube Light Model)

1. Alloy wheels - I need to get 4 good looking 13' alloy wheels (something like minilites)

2. Colouring the bonnet black - my workplace quoted 6,500 but I know that you can get it done cheaper.

3. Turbo conversion of the engine - a friend of mine said that the whole thing would cost around 40,000 - 60,000 (this is for turbo plus conversion of the exhaust pipes) Checked on the net and found out that a BN kit would cost around 600,000. The engine a Saturn engine.

4. 5 Speed Gearbox.

5. Minor Body Kit - small rear spoiler

If any of you guys out there know of where I can source out the alloy wheels, turbo and gearbox (preferably from a similar car of that era) please do let me know through e-mail.

Thing is I am still on the fence whether to do it up as if I do I wont be able to recover the amount spent on this car when I sell it. Also am wondering what to do, since my office is considering giving me a travelling allowance for the car, but knowing that I wont be able to cover up my travelling specially with the petrol prices increasing I'm also looking at getting a good diesel car. Another factor is this is an original car (first owner) and the condition is like brand new so I have second thoughts on selling fearing the fact that I'll never be able to find one like this. What do you think??

16 answers to this question

I'm thinking of doing up my old car in the near future and am looking at getting the following things done. Its a 1979 model Lancer A72 (Tube Light Model)

1. Alloy wheels - I need to get 4 good looking 13' alloy wheels (something like minilites)

2. Colouring the bonnet black - my workplace quoted 6,500 but I know that you can get it done cheaper.

3. Turbo conversion of the engine - a friend of mine said that the whole thing would cost around 40,000 - 60,000 (this is for turbo plus conversion of the exhaust pipes) Checked on the net and found out that a BN kit would cost around 600,000. The engine a Saturn engine.

4. 5 Speed Gearbox.

If any of you guys out there know of where I can source out the alloy wheels, turbo and gearbox (preferably from a similar car of that era) please do let me know through e-mail.

Thing is I am still on the fence whether to do it up as if I do I wont be able to recover the amount spent on this car when I sell it. Also am wondering what to do, since my office is considering giving me a traveling allowance for the car, but knowing that I wont be able to cover up my traveling specially with the petrol prices increasing I'm also looking at getting a good diesel car. Another factor is this is an original car (first owner) and the condition is like brand new so I have second thoughts on selling fearing the fact that I'll never be able to find one like this. What do you think??

If you think financially gummy the car might be worth more as it is right now without the modifications. I think that generation of lancers look quite good as they are and work quite well, but that is me being a bit conservative and kind of nostalgic, believe it or not when I was little your car was my dream car :)

If it was my car I will keep it, as examples like that are impossible to find, if you want to modify a car please pick up a run down car and then do it bottom up which would add value to it, rather than spoil the original beauty of your existing car. I am simply saying this as your type of car in your condition is very very rare,

Apart from that I am all for modifications and applaud anybody who has a go at it :)

If you think financially gummy the car might be worth more as it is right now without the modifications. I think that generation of lancers look quite good as they are and work quite well, but that is me being a bit conservative and kind of nostalgic, believe it or not when I was little your car was my dream car :)

If it was my car I will keep it, as examples like that are impossible to find, if you want to modify a car please pick up a run down car and then do it bottom up which would add value to it, rather than spoil the original beauty of your existing car. I am simply saying this as your type of car in your condition is very very rare,

Apart from that I am all for modifications and applaud anybody who has a go at it :)

Good suggestion :angry-smiley-048: , What Yr is it anyway?

Yeah I know machang. This is a superb car. Did a run to Mathugama and back week before and the performance out of it with four people on board was just fantastic, I'm talking about roads winding roads. Although I had to keep my distance from the people in front due to faulty brakes which are now done up (Its got servo brakes and for that era I think that its very advanced).

So how much do you think its worth now in original condition?? And how much will I loose if do the modifications?

Also machang keep in mind I'm not doing any bad modifications like wide body kits or ugly bumpers as you see on the roads these days.

Parak, its a 1979 model with the longer rear tail lights and square grille at front with fog lamps.

Yeah I know machang. This is a superb car. Did a run to Mathugama and back week before and the performance out of it with four people on board was just fantastic, I'm talking about roads winding roads. Although I had to keep my distance from the people in front due to faulty brakes which are now done up (Its got servo brakes and for that era I think that its very advanced).

So how much do you think its worth now in original condition?? And how much will I loose if do the modifications?

Also machang keep in mind I'm not doing any bad modifications like wide body kits or ugly bumpers as you see on the roads these days.

Parak, its a 1979 model with the longer rear tail lights and square grille at front with fog lamps.

I am sorry Gummy I do not know figures, but yours would certainly sell very easily on the top end of the going rate for these cars.

But since a lot of people did not modify this generation of lancers, and most are owned by fairly conservative people, I can only but assume the car would be less desirable in its modified state to that market, but then again I might be wrong,

I think an alloy wheel upgrade with period type alloys would add value to the car and make it look even nicer, and would not detract from the originality of the car if you are careful.

An engine glazing operation should have the same effect

Trying to add a rear spoiler if done tastefully might not have too much of an impact, but it might spoil that lovely rear :)

an engine swap is way too drastic in my humble opinion if you are going to preserve the originality of the car

I mean there is that guy who did a very drastic and challenging conversion to his old KE50 Corolla, and more power to him, but I wonder if he would have thought the same if his Corolla was in showroom condition. That essentially is the crux of my argument, because for 27 odd years your car has remained in exceedingly good condition, and very few similar examples exist :) And to be honest keeping it in its current condition is far more difficult than modifying it, as it involves defying nature :).

I must say if your car was not in such good order, I would throughly support your efforts for radical modifications :)

Thing is I am still on the fence whether to do it up as if I do I wont be able to recover the amount spent on this car when I sell it. Also am wondering what to do, since my office is considering giving me a travelling allowance for the car, but knowing that I wont be able to cover up my travelling specially with the petrol prices increasing I'm also looking at getting a good diesel car. Another factor is this is an original car (first owner) and the condition is like brand new so I have second thoughts on selling fearing the fact that I'll never be able to find one like this. What do you think??

SAVE THE DOUGH BRO! I know the temptation. But you will be better off just keeping the car as it is. And if possible save up for a decent diesel.

But since a lot of people did not modify this generation of lancers, and most are owned by fairly conservative people, I can only but assume the car would be less desirable in its modified state to that market, but then again I might be wrong,

I think an alloy wheel upgrade with period type alloys would add value to the car and make it look even nicer, and would not detract from the originality of the car if you are careful.

Machan, what I cant come to terms is as to why conservative people use these cars. Yes they are pretty well built and its pretty damn solidly built and very economical to run. But come to think of it these were the kings of African rallying at that time. Its sort of the same as the evo's of this era.

So where do you think I can find a decent set of minilite sort of alloys (there were some advertised on paper and he was quoting around 28k).

Pls explain the engine glazing operation, I have no idea what it means. ANyhow I have put platinum plugs. And it was tuned by one of my good friends who has some old cars.

Machan, what I cant come to terms is as to why conservative people use these cars. Yes they are pretty well built and its pretty damn solidly built and very economical to run. But come to think of it these were the kings of African rallying at that time. Its sort of the same as the evo's of this era.

So where do you think I can find a decent set of minilite sort of alloys (there were some advertised on paper and he was quoting around 28k).

Pls explain the engine glazing operation, I have no idea what it means. ANyhow I have put platinum plugs. And it was tuned by one of my good friends who has some old cars.

Well maybe I should not use the word conservative, but those were used as family cars in SL, not really boy racer type of cars if you know what I mean.

sorry I meant to suggest you polish the old aluminum block of the engine, and restore it back to "new" condition as well as the engine bay in general, I notice the chrome in your car is in pretty good shape still,

not sure if the minilite alloys are the best for you (apart from the fact they might be an over kill being a tad on the expensive side considering their special application), as long as you use old style allows, not the 3 spokey (or whatever number of spokes) ones being used on modern cars, and paint them gold or whichever colour that suites it best would look good me thinks, you would need to find a way of keeping the old Mitsubishi hub caps or find new stickers with the old Mitsubishi logo to go on them. I actually thought some of those cars came with alloy wheels or was it the Celeste ?

I think my good friend Daminda is correct in suggesting, do not spend too much money on it, because apart from the fact it doesn't need it, there is the issue of cost vs gain, I know its something you do with your heart not with your head, but best not get too carried away. Dosh is not always easy to come by.

I am sorry Gummy I do not know figures, but yours would certainly sell very easily on the top end of the going rate for these cars.

Trying to add a rear spoiler if done tastefully might not have too much of an impact, but it might spoil that lovely rear :)

an engine swap is way too drastic in my humble opinion if you are going to preserve the originality of the car

I mean there is that guy who did a very drastic and challenging conversion to his old KE50 Corolla, and more power to him, but I wonder if he would have thought the same if his Corolla was in showroom condition. That essentially is the crux of my argument, because for 27 odd years your car has remained in exceedingly good condition, and very few similar examples exist :) And to be honest keeping it in its current condition is far more difficult than modifying it, as it involves defying nature :).

I must say if your car was not in such good order, I would throughly support your efforts for radical modifications :)

Very good advice, This model (Thanks for the pictures) used to be a market leader in those days I reckon. If U have enough money to keep a second car I would keep it with minimum modificatiions. How about replace the bonet and the boot lid from bits from Junk yard (If they are available U can keep the original pieces intact) and make little false intake and a rear spoiler. If U do that the chrome parts also have to be removed(store them) and relpace them with a fiber glass bumper or a body kit. Wider tyres on alloys would be a nice addition.

sorry I meant to suggest you polish the old aluminum block of the engine, and restore it back to "new" condition as well as the engine bay in general, I notice the chrome in your car is in pretty good shape still,

not sure if the minilite alloys are the best for you (apart from the fact they might be an over kill being a tad on the expensive side considering their special application), as long as you use old style allows, not the 3 spokey (or whatever number of spokes) ones being used on modern cars, and paint them gold or whichever colour that suites it best would look good me thinks, you would need to find a way of keeping the old Mitsubishi hub caps or find new stickers with the old Mitsubishi logo to go on them. I actually thought some of those cars came with alloy wheels or was it the Celeste ?

I think my good friend Daminda is correct in suggesting, do not spend too much money on it, because apart from the fact it doesn't need it, there is the issue of cost vs gain, I know its something you do with your heart not with your head, but best not get too carried away. Dosh is not always easy to come by.

Thanks for the advice Don.

Well my engine bay is pretty well intact. Only thing the engine block needs to be cleaned. All the old stickers and everything are still there.

I think as for the alloys I think it was the Celeste which came with alloys and these had the old school steel wheels. I'm hoping to visit Wijerama area tomorrow as I glimpsed some alloy in that area.

4. 5 Speed Gearbox.

1. Alloy wheels- Magcit# having japanese compatible minilite type 13 inch deep dish ones

2. Bonnet- make sure its matt-black, Rs 6500 is bit high

3. Engine swap is possible with a turbo Galent RWD

4. Galent box is 5 manual

5. Refer forum ,you have good AL members into that business.

MINIACE

Edited by miniace