• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Black Stickered Lights

Croozer

Hi PPL,

Just curious to find out whats the easiest & cheapest way to sticker the lights with a black transparent layer ? B) (or is it painted, I am not sure) Has anyone of u guys tried it out ? Any suggessions of DIY methods ? I am not referring to my headlights but the rear ones. [see the image below to get an idea as to what I mean]

img3667xj5.jpg

Tks in advance guys,

Cheers :violent-smiley-030:

Hi PPL,

Just curious to find out whats the easiest & cheapest way to sticker the lights with a black transparent layer ? B) (or is it painted, I am not sure) Has anyone of u guys tried it out ? Any suggessions of DIY methods ? I am not referring to my headlights but the rear ones. [see the image below to get an idea as to what I mean]

img3667xj5.jpg

Tks in advance guys,

het man, i dunno abt the lights, but how's ur car doing these days? i saw it at the garage a cpl of times....... hope you're haappy with the place mate....

cheers

S_N

Hi PPL,

img3667xj5.jpg

Tks in advance guys,

You can buy the tinted lens sprays from auto shops. Don't use too many layers. 2 is good, Max 3. But you can't use this on your head lights.

First of all learn Japanese to read the instructions on the can. :action-smiley-060:

You can buy the tinted lens sprays from auto shops. Don't use too many layers. 2 is good, Max 3. But you can't use this on your head lights.

First of all learn Japanese to read the instructions on the can. :action-smiley-060:

Hey Ash, tks maan,

BTW Will the normal tinting stickers do the magic (atleast temporarily ?)

B)

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Hey bro, Cool to hear from you man B)

Yep of course I am satisfied with the place mate. Got few jobs done thru him. I usually hand over the car on a weekday morn & leisurely pick up once done. Some of the recent projects I got done were; change of correct plugs & tune-up, restoration of the gear lever/knob (there was a play kinda issue) & some minor stuff. Quality work mate, tks for the contact B)

Cheers

ah thats great to hear...... glad to help mate, i took a look around ur ride the other day when it was there btw.... its pretty cool, AFAIK hatch versions of that generation of colt are pretty rare in SL, and you seem to have got a pretty good example..... where did you buy it from??

ah thats great to hear...... glad to help mate, i took a look around ur ride the other day when it was there btw.... its pretty cool, AFAIK hatch versions of that generation of colt are pretty rare in SL, and you seem to have got a pretty good example..... where did you buy it from??

tks for the comments SN B)

It had been brought down brand new in 1988 (YOM 1987) while I am the 3rd owner B)

Overall its a pretty good machine with A/C & EPS.

B)

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Hey Ash, tks bro B)

Machang will the normal tinting stickers do the magic (atleast temporarily ?) :jumping-smiley-013:

Cheers

You might not get a good finish with the tinted stickers. It might be difficult to get the corners and curves nicely. And the edges will come off after some time. Get a lens spray. It’s about Rs.1000 (can’t really remember) If you overspray or any mistake, simply wipe off before it dries. Simple!!! . For the best effect use a clear over coat on it. DIY job. Anyway try with a tinted sticker first as it is cheap and could not harm any thing.

You might not get a good finish with the tinted stickers. It might be difficult to get the corners and curves nicely. And the edges will come off after some time. Get a lens spray. It’s about Rs.1000 (can’t really remember) If you overspray or any mistake, simply wipe off before it dries. Simple!!! . For the best effect use a clear over coat on it. DIY job. Anyway try with a tinted sticker first as it is cheap and could not harm any thing.

Tks machang B) shall keep u guys updated on the go :violent-smiley-030:

Cheers

Hey Evo.. why the interest in blackening the lights.. in my opinion it suits only a few rear light models rather than being universal.. plus, could be considered a safety issue as there is a chance that the rear driver would mistake your brake light for the normal light.. god knows lol.. if you do plan nevertheless stick to the black tints.. spraying layers onto the rear lights might make the effect irreversible at times.. no idea what the f those japanese instructions meant ;)

Zz

tks for the comments bro B)

machang what does AFAIK means ?

Actually this was advertised in the Sunday Observer & the ride was with the previous owner for almost 10 yrs (actually used by his wife to take the kido to school & back B)) The ride was brought down to SL brand new in 1988 (YOM 1987) by Coca-Cola Co. Actually I am the 3rd owner B) Overall its a pretty good machine with AC, EPS & Alloys machang.

Whats the progres with Anthon'y Beetle ?

Cheers

As Far As I Know machan :)

wow third owner huh? thats pretty cool, and the alloys are original you say?? thats nice man...... its very difficult to find one like that.... anthony's car has had all the tinkering done and they're now going to scrape it paint i think..... hes really going to town with that car machan..... it'll be perfect when its done i think...... mine has quite a long way to go to get to that standard...

Hey Evo.. why the interest in blackening the lights.. in my opinion it suits only a few rear light models rather than being universal.. plus, could be considered a safety issue as there is a chance that the rear driver would mistake your brake light for the normal light.. god knows lol.. if you do plan nevertheless stick to the black tints.. spraying layers onto the rear lights might make the effect irreversible at times.. no idea what the f those japanese instructions meant ;)

Zz

Your brake lights will not be visible/or could be mistaken only if you spray layers and layers over. I did only 2 in my previous car. Looks nice and no change in visibility. Lens sprays are not permanent.

Since EVO_Croozers' car rear lights are straight and plain you could use the tinting stickers. The only drawback is peeling from the edges and scratch marks.

The Red is mine with 2 layers of Tinting. Check the Black with around 6 layers of tinting, very nice but I don’t think you can see the brake lights at all, unless you use a 500W bulb. :blink:

31ub9.th.jpg

lucino39rs2.th.jpg

Zz

Hi neXGen, agree with ur comments re consequences & visibility mate.

Does any one of you guys know of any place who does restore old lights OR who can manufacture identical lights ?

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Your brake lights will not be visible/or could be mistaken only if you spray layers and layers over. I did only 2 in my previous car. Looks nice and no change in visibility. Lens sprays are not permanent.

Since EVO_Croozers' car rear lights are straight and plain you could use the tinting stickers. The only drawback is peeling from the edges and scratch marks.

The Red is mine with 2 layers of Tinting. Check the Black with around 6 layers of tinting, very nice but I don’t think you can see the brake lights at all, unless you use a 500W bulb.

:blink:

Hey Ash, tks maan B)

Edited by EVO_Croozer

As Far As I Know machan :)

wow third owner huh? thats pretty cool, and the alloys are original you say?? thats nice man...... its very difficult to find one like that.... anthony's car has had all the tinkering done and they're now going to scrape it paint i think..... hes really going to town with that car machan..... it'll be perfect when its done i think...... mine has quite a long way to go to get to that standard...

;) machang tks, after posting ur reply yesterday just checked out on urban dictionary site for AFAIK & then felt embarassed for asking that que B)

Machang I do not think the alloys came along with the car (not sure) & guess the P/S was also converted later on by him. Yeah Anthony's ride was in pretty good form when he brought in & I'm sure like u mentioned, it'l be awesome when finished. What else needs to be done on your ride ? Lionel once told me he has to look for some stuf in Panchikawatta.

Cheers

;) machang tks, after posting ur reply yesterday just checked out on urban dictionary site for AFAIK & then felt embarassed for asking that que B)

Machang I do not think the alloys came along with the car (not sure) & guess the P/S was also converted later on by him. Yeah Anthony's ride was in pretty good form when he brought in & I'm sure like u mentioned, it'l be awesome when finished. What else needs to be done on your ride ? Lionel once told me he has to look for some stuf in Panchikawatta.

Cheers

thats okay machan, i asked the same question when i was new here too.... ;)

well you know old cars ne bung, esp when they havent been used for ages and then are being used everyday..... mechanicals are mostly ok, but i have a rear wheel wobble that neds to be checked out, and also machan im getting some parts down, small stuff..... need to get them fitted..... oh and the paint on m roof's f'd up..... so that needs to be scraped and done..... didnt have cash to do a scrape n paint on the roof earlier, so it was just sprayed..... can see the payback now :lol:

Hey Ash, tks for the lovely examples bro. As u mentioned using stickers will be relatively easier cuz mine are straight lights with less curves. Machang do you think I should custom cut for measurements & then paste OR use the traditional Darley Rd method of pasting & then cutting B) ? In both cases can I use a bit of shampoo spray on the lights prior to pasting which'll make it non sticky :unsure: BTW machang the 2 layers on your red ride, Is it paint or stickers : Looks brilliant man.

Tks in advance mate, Cheers.

Simply use the Darley Rd method. Paste and cut. Yes you'll have to use some Shampoo when doing the pasting.

I used Tinted lens spray on my ride (it comes in a spray can).

:sad-smiley-067:

word of caution machan, tinting using sprays might lead to 2 problems

1. it is fairly irreversible i think, somebody correct me if I am wrong, if you change your mind later you would probably need to find new lights

2. if you darken too much people behind you wont be able to see your lights properly

So be careful

if the tint film had worked you could have always taken it off when you didn't need it !

The Don

1. it is fairly irreversible i think, somebody correct me if I am wrong, if you change your mind later you would probably need to find new lights

2. if you darken too much people behind you wont be able to see your lights properly

So be careful

if the tint film had worked you could have always taken it off when you didn't need it !

The Don

Hey Don,

Noted with tks bro B)

Cheers

So be careful

The Don

Hi don...

1. No he one I used on mine is reversible... It’s so easy to remove as soon as you spray it. Just wipe it off. Later if you decide to remove it, you’ll have to use acetone based liquid (or a nail polish remover would do the trick). You won’t have to replace the lights. BUT make sure you use a quality product.

2. You’ll have to use some commonsense when you are doing this. Applying too many layers will definitely give you problems. Just with one coating, you won’t even notice that it’s tinted. As I mentioned earlier, you can do 2 or max three layers, not more than that. I had 2 layers on my previous ride. Check the pics of my car and the other black Lucino in the pics above.

@ EVO...

I got mine from Japan, cost me Yen 1500/- . I saw some tinting spray sold at the Sirasa Motor show recently, some modifying place from Kandana, Waththala area (not sure)

Problem with the tinted sheets are, you cannot get the perfect corners and it’ll leave air bubbles over raised imprints on the lights.

Make sure you’ll use a good quality product. As Don said you might have problems with the visibility or removing later. So better be careful. Mine was an original product and finish was so smooth. Better do a patch test on something else before you do the full.

Hi don...

1. No he one I used on mine is reversible... It’s so easy to remove as soon as you spray it. Just wipe it off. Later if you decide to remove it, you’ll have to use acetone based liquid (or a nail polish remover would do the trick). You won’t have to replace the lights. BUT make sure you use a quality product.

2. You’ll have to use some commonsense when you are doing this. Applying too many layers will definitely give you problems. Just with one coating, you won’t even notice that it’s tinted. As I mentioned earlier, you can do 2 or max three layers, not more than that. I had 2 layers on my previous ride. Check the pics of my car and the other black Lucino in the pics above.

@ EVO...

I got mine from Japan, cost me Yen 1500/- . I saw some tinting spray sold at the Sirasa Motor show recently, some modifying place from Kandana, Waththala area (not sure)

Problem with the tinted sheets are, you cannot get the perfect corners and it’ll leave air bubbles over raised imprints on the lights.

Make sure you’ll use a good quality product. As Don said you might have problems with the visibility or removing later. So better be careful. Mine was an original product and finish was so smooth. Better do a patch test on something else before you do the full.

Hi Ash, tks for the clarification & info machang.

In case I come across any positive stuff, shall keep u guys posted.

Cheers B)

Bro Ash,

Bad scene man :violent-smiley-099: I tried out stickering but the flat surface worked out pretty perfectly & neat but the curvy corners didn't turn out as expected :angry-smiley-048: So had to bring it back to its stock mode.

Machang form where did u buy those tint spray can's ? I went to Rum*l motors but they didn't have any either. Can you also pls lemme know what kinda spray is used on Rims & whether we can do it ourselves ?

Cheers

hey, you can still try again. Use some lightly soapy water (like shampoo) and a credit card (or something soft plastic to squeeze the water out when you're satisifed. The trick to getting those pesky corners to work out well ... use a hair dryer to neatly shrink the edges of the tint sticker so it conforms to the curves, trust me it works and that's the way they do the really large back windows of our cars over here. Well, it's a longer process but just the same.Try a couple times till you get good at it, you may get lucky and get it the first time! ... here's an example on a friend's car... car is dirty, but you ge tthe idea

3402030575.jpg

I don't like the spray 'cos it's hard to get an even coat (looks patchy when the lights are on), getting a shiny finish takes a lot of patience and it's permanent. You'll have to wet sand the lenses to get them back to where they were if you don't like them in the future.

Edited by Mean Green z28

hey, you can still try again. Use some lightly soapy water (like shampoo) and a credit card (or something soft plastic to squeeze the water out when you're satisifed. The trick to getting those pesky corners to work out well ... use a hair dryer to neatly shrink the edges of the tint sticker so it conforms to the curves, trust me it works and that's the way they do the really large back windows of our cars over here. Well, it's a longer process but just the same.Try a couple times till you get good at it, you may get lucky and get it the first time! ... here's an example on a friend's car... car is dirty, but you ge tthe idea

3402030575.jpg

I don't like the spray 'cos it's hard to get an even coat (looks patchy when the lights are on), getting a shiny finish takes a lot of patience and it's permanent. You'll have to wet sand the lenses to get them back to where they were if you don't like them in the future.

Hey bro, Tks for the great tip machang, Sure will try out leisurely & update you guys on the progress.

OT, Good to hear that you met Juhary B) What about the lips of the bugger, guess its still the same :jumping-smiley-013:

Of course bro U'l remember me for sure if you see me.

Tks again for the advice on tint, tc & do KIT.

:violent-smiley-030: