• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Get The Bus License

lakshank

Question

Hi ,

I am coming to Sri lanka in december for 1 month. ( 1st dec to 29th). What is the procedure to apply and get the heavy vehicle license( bus license).

I have the C,C1 class and have been driving for the past 7 years.. I have purchased a Land Rover Lorry recently which has a 24 SRI registration no. (Lorry no)

Is there a fast track way to get the Bus license soon as i will be in SL for only 30 days and most of that will be like holidays due to the festive season. I dont mind throwing some money to get this soon(you can call it 'paga' charity or whatever you like.

Questions-

1) Do i have to sit for the theory test ( I have done it for the C,C1)

2) ANy medicals

3) Any mechanical based exams

help would be appreciated

thanks

17 answers to this question

1) Do i have to sit for the theory test ( I have done it for the C,C1)

Yes. You have to take a theory test. It is held at Werehera RMV office. You need to study the booklet that covers bus rules/simple bus maintenance stuff. Can get from a Learners.

2) ANy medicals

Yes. You need to get this from this government medical joint near nugegoda junction. You have to pee into a MD Jam bottle! and they will check your pressure, eyes etc. This place really puts you off as you are treated as a random bus driver off the street. The medical is a pre-requisite to step 1) above.

3) Any mechanical based exams

Covered in the written test. You need to know what "brake binding is" etc..

There is also a driving test which is quite tough unless you practice. You have to parallel park a big ass bus in between two other buses and drive that thing a couple of km's with 3 examiners. They are very tough and you have to be 100% correct in everything you do.

My advise is go through a Learners if you want to get this. Pain is you have to repeat step 2) every 3 years to renew. Unless you really plan to keep the good ol LR for years the pain is not worth. I am not going to renew mine coz I sold my 60- oil rig after 2 years of buying. I will stick to state of the art new vehicles moving forward. :D

Thanks machan la!

I know i could be a pain to renew it every 2 yrs. But I want to go through that. Being a Land Rover enthusiast I am kinda used to those painful stuff :))

But iam happy to give it a go. The forward control can be easily run with a 31 Sri jeep no. But i want to keep the originality.

The vehicle was brought to SL during the world war period and and was used in british army. later it was sold with the 24 Sri civil no.

I paid bloody 7.5 lakhs just for the skelton and the documents.( skelton doesnt worth a penny)

So you see "history speaks" and i want to keep it that way.

cheers people...

BTW can anyone give me any tricks + tacktics to get it without any troubles. I had to give 500 Rs to the examiner in 2000 to get my dual purpose lisence. I was a 18year old school boy that time. Still the bugger came and ask for some favour.

I believe that the same type of guys still operate in RMV.

Edited by lakshank

Thanks machan la!

I know i could be a pain to renew it every 2 yrs. But I want to go through that. Being a Land Rover enthusiast I am kinda used to those painful stuff :))

But iam happy to give it a go. The forward control can be easily run with a 31 Sri jeep no. But i want to keep the originality.

The vehicle was brought to SL during the world war period and and was used in british army. later it was sold with the 24 Sri civil no.

I paid bloody 7.5 lakhs just for the skelton and the documents.( skelton doesnt worth a penny)

So you see "history speaks" and i want to keep it that way.

cheers people...

BTW can anyone give me any tricks + tacktics to get it without any troubles. I had to give 500 Rs to the examiner in 2000 to get my dual purpose lisence. I was a 18year old school boy that time. Still the bugger came and ask for some favour.

Hi Machan,

First and foremost I was a school boy in 1999 when I got my license, but I played the school boy card quite well, and nobody asked me for any money (I had to go for the damn thing in my uniform he he he quite by accident, and I guess even they could not bring themselves to ask me for money)

I suggest easiest thing for you to do is as soon as you hit Colombo go to somebody like Daya learners, or one of the bigger people, who specialize in getting licensees for people who cannot drive (at least when they go for trial) and tell them your requirement, they will tell you a flat fee for the matter which will include the pagawa !!! get a bit of practice on the bus you will go to trial in, get the medical test done, and get a test date arranged,

but be warned you are unlikely to get everything sorted within the 30 days you are there, because i am sure exam days are booked and given about a month in advance of the date of application, so that might be the achilles heal of the above plan !

if the LR looks like a jeep (meaning body hasnt converted to an actual lorry) i'm sure driving with a C, C1 would be cool.. i drive our mitsubishi 4DR5 (with a 28 Sri plate) with the C,C1.... though its registered as a truck it still is a jeep ne... hehehe! besides, if its just one month why bother... the process of getting the paperwork/lisence itself will take about a week or so, thus leaving you with only 3 more weeks...

expect them! some are still alive!! they will have to pay back someday! :angry-smiley-048:

- one of my friends went recently and the guy was not releasing the T.License without 5000/- bucks!! but then he had to release it without a cent asked, and a WARNING! :violent-smiley-099: (but they still do it)

Most of the time, this learners ppl asks for money 'saying that they have to collect and give the examiners but then keep it for them self. BE AWARE! :ninja: everything just don't work as you heard and think..

Edited by Kim

Machan thanks for putting the picture of ur Lorry-Jeep.

So we will be able to keep the distance if we ever see u on road (for our self defense). Ha Ha :jumping-smiley-013:

LOL LOL LOL :jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013:

@ lakshank:

Machang as you've got only about 30 days in hand, I guess it'll be cheaper & convenient for you to roam around with ur C/C1 license & rather give something to the Cops (in the event they make a big fuss) You might waste your remaining days in all these govt joints (plus hazzle) if you're determined to obtain the license. I agree its good practise to get the proper upgrade on the license, but leave it when you have enough days to mingle with leisurely.

Good Luck bro B)

Thank you machans

BTW sha..never be afraid of my lorry. I am doing a 300Tdi upgrade and All 4 Disc brakes + coils over leaves. ..Its going to be damn rock steady.I am telling you. lol

cool dude...that's gonna be one interesting project :)

I think i've been in one of these in Yala... If my memory is correct it was either a black one or a jungle green one...

Blast from the Past :)

Thank you machans

BTW sha..never be afraid of my lorry. I am doing a 300Tdi upgrade and All 4 Disc brakes + coils over leaves. ..Its going to be damn rock steady.I am telling you. lol

Hay Lakshank buddy,

What's up with the lorry? Show us some pictures of the modified thing!

The project is due to start in any minute. Everything is in place. Indika is a bit busy these days. definitely going to put it on the road before august this year.

By the way I got the bus license this time. It took exactly 5 days. not too bad ha...

but the license expires in 3 years. you have to go for the medical to renew it.

LakshanK was there any way of fast tracking the process of getting the license or did you have to deal with the usual rigmarole ? i'm considering getting my heavy vehicle license & trying to size up the least painful option - did you ultimately go to the "Learner" place in Malabe or directly? :o