• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Mini Modles

Sha7

Hi mini guys,

I’m interested in buying a mini. But have no experience on minis (So far I’m a big car lover). My point of buying it is the sporty feeling that I get when drive a mini, Fuel efficiency and the small size (So I can rush through city traffic).

But I found that there are many models such as mini cooper, mini clubman and etc.

What is the difference? Any site where I can find the differences of these models and stuff?

MiniAce should be able to answer all your mini questions and mega questions on Minis :)

Hi mini guys,

I’m interested in buying a mini. But have no experience on minis (So far I’m a big car lover). My point of buying it is the sporty feeling that I get when drive a mini, Fuel efficiency and the small size (So I can rush through city traffic).

But I found that there are many models such as mini cooper, mini clubman and etc.

What is the difference? Any site where I can find the differences of these models and stuff?

I will provide a very uncomplicated clarification about Coopers first. Coopers are like WRXs or STi or Evolutions when it comes to Minis. Made by John cooper Garages and encompass many sports and performance features from the regular product versions.

In SL many claimed Coopers are not Coopers, just ordinary Minis. Even many Mini owners assume “cooper” is just another name for Minis. Coopers In SL are very few in numbers and very expensive too.

Clubmans are unsucceful face lift model experimented by British Leyland and Leyland SA.Mini Clubman prices are relatively lower than other Mini models.

There are more than 100 Mini varieties produced between 59-01.Just login to any dedicated Mini site and you can find Info or try Wikipedia .

MINIACE

• Like 1

I will provide a very uncomplicated clarification about Coopers first. Coopers are like WRXs or STi or Evolutions when it comes to Minis. Made by John cooper Garages and encompass many sports and performance features from the regular product versions.

In SL many claimed Coopers are not Coopers, just ordinary Minis. Even many Mini owners assume “cooper” is just another name for Minis. Coopers In SL are very few in numbers and very expensive too.

Clubmans are unsucceful face lift model experimented by British Leyland and Leyland SA.Mini Clubman prices are relatively lower than other Mini models.

There are more than 100 Mini varieties produced between 59-01.Just login to any dedicated Mini site and you can find Info or try Wikipedia .

MINIACE

Mini how does one find out if a Mini Cooper is actually a Mini Cooper?

hey...its not difficult to maintain a minin..its fun..even u can do some things in it..spare parts n body parts are freely availeble..mini ace is the man to contact or eve i can help mate..go 4 a mini..but dont buy auto...go manual then u can burn ..also lot of mini club events 4 u whn u r free,,, cheers..gaya

Mini how does one find out if a Mini Cooper is actually a Mini Cooper?

Sorry I missed this..

Its not really easy to spot a difference from outside coz all Cooper featured panels,chrome work are available as aftermarket parts and fitted to ordinary standard Minis now.Even the Cooper paint works are copied.

Main feature is VIN and Engine number.Few basics are listed.

All carb models have twin HS2 Carburettors.

Disc brakes (7 inch for Cooper or 7.5 inch for Cooper S)

3-in-1 exhaust manifold.

100MPH speedometer (Cooper) or 120MPH speedometer (Cooper S

Twin fuel tanks and oil cooler

All models should have a radiator shroud welded to the inner wing.

engine can be identified by the two tappet chest covers on the rear of the block, in common with the small-bore engines. It has an extra cylinder stud and cylinder bolt visible outside the rocker cover, and the rocker cover has two small cutouts to accomodate the stud and bolt. Drilling of non-Cooper S cylinder heads to "11 stud" spec is common in performance applications.

MINIACE

Drive my Black Cooper Auto...Im sure you'll change your opinion! ;)

MINIACE

yo mate did i said anything abt a cooper auto ..ha ha its true if u own a cooper even its auto its a hit.. i mentioned abt normal mini minor so dont u think its good oto go 4 a manual than auto (also theres a serious issue that police are checking on minis with 5sri 6 sri plates which has auto engines)

yo mate did i said anything abt a cooper auto ..ha ha its true if u own a cooper even its auto its a hit.. i mentioned abt normal mini minor so dont u think its good oto go 4 a manual than auto (also theres a serious issue that police are checking on minis with 5sri 6 sri plates which has auto engines)

Its really good to own a Mini auto.My total impression on autos changed after I owned a Mini auto.

I really have no idea about police being specific on auto Minis but police do check early regd Minis often.

MINIACE

Its really good to own a Mini auto.My total impression on autos changed after I owned a Mini auto.

I really have no idea about police being specific on auto Minis but police do check early regd Minis often.

MINIACE

I totally agree with MINIACE. I also really enjoy driving 1275 autos. About police checking: my experience is even they do check and present to RMV, (provided your documents are in order) RMV will ask you to bring the vehicle to Werahera . They will reweight and recheck engine and chassis numbers and adjust the CR book entries. In my friend's case, the chassis number was in order but the engine number was locally tampered. However RMV inspector has put a comment in his file about the locally tampered engine number but he got the CR book with correct weight, correct Model and Make name adjusted.

-GMI

Cop unit normally check the VIN number and Engine number. If the vehicle is registered under curent users name and revenue licence and insurance in order the chances are good to avoid the next step of investigations.

MINIACE

• 9 years later...

I'm thinking to buy a mini

I done some background study and some issues i have is

1- since all the mini cars are modified and no book. how can we identify the exact year of the engine, body etc..

2- and how i can identify the type of the body (mini cooper or rover or ...)

Post some pics of the car and I will tell you whether its a Rover or an older model. 

I asked the same question from AL about 10 years ago if I remember correctly :D

Edit: Here's the thread 

Edited by Crosswind

1 minute ago, Crosswind said:

Post some pics of the car and I will tell you

thnx for quick reply.. 

Im still searching for car and i have 2 option

-buy a car that already modified 

-restore a car with a place that it do (i know some places doing that)

So if I go for restore option how i can identify the body and engine they going to use are in which year and which model ?

How much money you have in your bank account?
The 'some places' that do 'restorations' on Minis are run by highly experienced dentists... they are good at "dath galaweema"... so unless you have inordinate amounts of money to spare, don't try to get there.

My best suggestion for you is buy one which has been seized by customs and auctioned off... They have genuine books. Just look out for corrosions on the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

My best suggestion for you is buy one which has been seized by customs and auctioned off... They have genuine books. Just look out for corrosions on the body.

Just curious (sorry for hijacking the thread), how often do these auctions take place and how's the general public informed of them?

7 hours ago, Crosswind said:

general public is informed after the auctions take place :D

It's all here: http://customs.gov.lk/tender/home but our nice gentlemen and ladies at customs make sure the list of goods for sale is updated one day after the auction :D:D

Thank you. I figured as much, as I've never heard these vehicles being purchased by ordinary (non employee or non big shot) people. 

One of my friend don a restoration for reasonable price at Angoda. Hope to have visit tomorrow. 

I can spend big money for fully modified vehicle. My plan is to take un modified car with some repair and modify it according to my choice. What you think.

What is the best place to find un modified cars. Most of the minis in internet are modified and expensive. 

9 hours ago, vidura said:

One of my friend don a restoration for reasonable price at Angoda. Hope to have visit tomorrow. 

I can spend big money for fully modified vehicle. My plan is to take un modified car with some repair and modify it according to my choice. What you think.

What is the best place to find un modified cars. Most of the minis in internet are modified and expensive. 

You can't. Not in Sri Lanka. Simple as that.

There are only a handful of original minis are surviving in this country. All of them are restored. Rest are all either cut-and-bud or auctioned off vehicles. You are better off looking for a morris minor but then most of those are also restored. If you want to restore an old car, you are better off with an old Japanese such as a B210, KE20, Mitsubishi Colt etc.

So you are not recommending to restore a mini?