• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Sizes & Air Pressure

Croozer

Hi Guys,

Can u experts pls explain me as to how exactly the Tyre size is measured or determined ?

Also how do you accurately determine the air pressure?

Browsed thru the forum's but couldn't match a thread that clears my doubts...

B)

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Ya true. How exactly do u measure the tire pressure? How much is enough? I've heard ppl say if the car feels bouncy it means too much air, but theres got to be a general measuring index right?

Ya true. How exactly do u measure the tire pressure? How much is enough? I've heard ppl say if the car feels bouncy it means too much air, but theres got to be a general measuring index right?

Most cars carry the standard tyre sizes and the suggested air pressure on a sticker on the drivers doorpost or somewhere there.

Most cars carry the standard tyre sizes and the suggested air pressure on a sticker on the drivers doorpost or somewhere there.

Ya thats for the original. Most often than not, ppl change their wheels 2 alloys, then the problem arises! :P

Although notwhere near being an expert, let me try to explain what I learned quite recently.

15", 17", etc. - refers to the rim size, ie would tbe the size of your alloys. Tires would generally have a measurement such as - 185/55R14 - (ie) 185 is basically the width of the tire in mm, 55 is a measurement of the height of the rubber and R14 is the rim size (14").

As for tire pressure, it's usually measured in pounds per square inch (psi). For your tires, I think you should go with 30psi. If the car feels too bouncy, reduce it to 29psi. If that doesn't help, try 28psi. If you run less than 28psi your tires will probably wear out faster. My car runs on 205/45R16, basically is 17" tires and use 28psi.