• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Boi Approved Cut & Bud Vehicles???

madmax

BOI or Gov should give more incentives to local inverters in order to make seizable productions, they would have to amend the tax incentives if they wanna do in large scale, Specially for micro coz they are just stranded in the short run due to heavy tax burden even though it's a lankan establishment!

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

Just to add spice,

I have owned 2 such vehicles....one a Townace super custom...other Carina Ti My Road......the van got registered..car delayed due to court case...but since its over amendments were made and now pending the registration(will take 1 month)

Both came as it is(almost since front and rear lights were the only things they have to fix)....both were in superb condition all since I got checked it at Toyota lanka....

any details please request in forum

Hi all.

Just to add spice,

I have owned 2 such vehicles....one a Townace super custom...other Carina Ti My Road......the van got registered..car delayed due to court case...but since its over amendments were made and now pending the registration(will take 1 month)

Both came as it is(almost since front and rear lights were the only things they have to fix)....both were in superb condition all since I got checked it at Toyota lanka....

any details please request in forum

How long ago you bought those vehicles?. I tried to call the number listed in the forum, but had no luck. Can you let me know how to contact these guys?

Thanks

A mate of mine had the same issue with registering his 2nd gen Allion. He ran for months on a garage plate, and they finally took the car back from him because he was PO'd at how long the registration process was taking him. He bought himself a Hilux Vigo Extra Smart Cab ( what a mouthful!) instead.

How long ago you bought those vehicles?. I tried to call the number listed in the forum, but had no luck. Can you let me know how to contact these guys?

Thanks

Hi...

Well I bought the van in 2008 and car in 2009...yeah both are in brand new condition in interior ,exterior and engine bay...

Problem or the sad part is that they will(what i heard from management) stop this BOI venture this year(hope please no )and will shift to Chinese vehicle assemble plant in sri lanka(already singed with BOI)

With regard to vehicle conditions...earlier vehicles which came to the plant came "as it is" (meaning not as parts but as whole vehicle minus tires and lights..etc) so basically they were in superb condition...so thats why interiors are as good,or better i would say than that of reconditioned vehicles brought to sri lanka

Edited by wishvak

so whats the verdict from court? can this continue or not

It was amicably settled since RMV made amendments to register them and court verdict was to resume registration as priority basis...so it will start from May 2010(or shall i say resume)

It was amicably settled since RMV made amendments to register them and court verdict was to resume registration as priority basis...so it will start from May 2010(or shall i say resume)

How to contact them? any info please. I cannot get through the number listed for VIRAJ.

Edited by nissmoz

With regard to vehicle conditions...earlier vehicles which came to the plant came "as it is" (meaning not as parts but as whole vehicle minus tires and lights..etc) so basically they were in superb condition...so thats why interiors are as good,or better i would say than that of reconditioned vehicles brought to sri lanka

huh make no scene bro, how come the condition of a car brought down for assembly in 'as it is' state is better than a recon/unreg car imported in 'as it is' state???? it is not as if the interior of these assembled cars are enhanced locally before point of sale is it??????

huh make no scene bro, how come the condition of a car brought down for assembly in 'as it is' state is better than a recon/unreg car imported in 'as it is' state???? it is not as if the interior of these assembled cars are enhanced locally before point of sale is it??????

Sir,

In 1970 decade japan did not have Car Auctions We few Srilankans used to buy Japanese used Vehicles from used car yards and give them to a Car repair center to repaint fix new Battery and tires.

There were few Japanese Exporters to other countries during 1970. At that time Japanese exports had inspection report like now days Srilanka imports from Japan inspection report is necessary. During 1980 Japan started automobile Auctions now we can buy a Vehicle from the Internet. Then later Japanese Automobiles started coming to our country as it is.

Srilankans started Visiting to Japan did buy Vehicles during early part of 1990 and did all sorts of things to make money by stamping chassis numbers of new Vehicles to old Vehicles in japan cut Vehicles and export as parts weld them back in Srilanka and make money.

There was a big shipping faulty insurance claims was going on now all those are eliminated.

All above was exposed in News papers few Srilankans was Penalized for those Crimes.

Mileage meters were tampered to get a better Price for used Japanese Vehicles.

Any how Japanese used unregistered Commercial Vehicle Market has picked up in last two months.

Chinese Commercial Vehicle market is also improving due to the low selling Price.

Today you can Buy a small Chinese Van less than 1 Million Rupees same van used in Japan will cost twice the Price.

Most of Chinese Vans are build with Japanese technology. For example I use a Chinese D/P Van all Suzuki parts fits the vehicle what I use. For last three years I did not have any Major problems I bought same because of the cost and I wanted to try Chinese Technology.

Early days only UK German French US Vehicles was the Choice of Srilankans then that shifted to Japanese Indian Maruti is doing good Business in Srilanka.

Future Chinese Vehicles will dominate in Srilankan Market.

Wijesinghe.

Future Chinese Vehicles will dominate in Srilankan Market.

If they do its because they are cheap, not because they are good. Japs got there foothold by being cheap too. Marutis dominate the market coz they are cheap, not coz they are any good. And the "Japanese technology" part can be applied there too, it is, after all, Suzuki Maruti. Still doesn't mean didly squat. They are terrible.

Besides, the tech isn't all. Alfa technology and rusting Russian steel didn't produce desirable results either, despite all the heritage and pedigree.

If they do its because they are cheap, not because they are good. Japs got there foothold by being cheap too. Marutis dominate the market coz they are cheap, not coz they are any good. And the "Japanese technology" part can be applied there too, it is, after all, Suzuki Maruti. Still doesn't mean didly squat. They are terrible.

Besides, the tech isn't all. Alfa technology and rusting Russian steel didn't produce desirable results either, despite all the heritage and pedigree.

ah, but I beg to differ... Alfa tech and Russian steel combined to produced none other than the Alfasud which is one of the best handling front drivers of all time and has always been rated as an entirely desirable car..... if you can find one.

ah, but I beg to differ... Alfa tech and Russian steel combined to produced none other than the Alfasud which is one of the best handling front drivers of all time and has always been rated as an entirely desirable car..... if you can find one.

Point is, it doesn't last. And corrodes. The handling part comes from the Alfa tech.

Point is, it doesn't last. And corrodes. The handling part comes from the Alfa tech.

well those that have lasted are sorted by now as CHAP would testify. What i pointed out was that the desirability of the thing hasnt really been affected at all. Actually, the very fact that a lot of them rusted into dust has made the survivors that much more coveted.

Of course none of this applies to the chinese vehicles. And somehow I dont see them pulling off the same trick the japs did (getting an inroad with el cheapo products and then gradually making actual desirable cars). Doubt the chinese are bothered with the enthusiasts market just yet. Not when the "stack em high, sell em cheap" approach can make so much money.

Get the message bro.........

We used to get really "reconditioned" cars in early 90...but what Japanese used car importers do now is just to give a face lift to their used cars by interior and exterior rather then truly RECONDITIONING vehicles.

"as it is" was not meant to say that were not cleaned and decor.....if thats what you understood...then so silly

well those that have lasted are sorted by now as CHAP would testify. What i pointed out was that the desirability of the thing hasnt really been affected at all. Actually, the very fact that a lot of them rusted into dust has made the survivors that much more coveted.

Of course none of this applies to the chinese vehicles. And somehow I dont see them pulling off the same trick the japs did (getting an inroad with el cheapo products and then gradually making actual desirable cars). Doubt the chinese are bothered with the enthusiasts market just yet. Not when the "stack em high, sell em cheap" approach can make so much money.

Don't think I've expressed this well. True, they are desirable to enthusiasts. But the damage that was done to Alfa's rep among the ordinary consumers is immense. Alfa probably suffers the effects from that fiasco even to this day, as a brand. Even in AL, which has a higher number of enthusiasts per 100 members as opposed to the "Cars go from A-to-B" crowd, how many people would actually buy an Alfa? Probably wouldn't run out of fingers counting that number.

Don't think I've expressed this well. True, they are desirable to enthusiasts. But the damage that was done to Alfa's rep among the ordinary consumers is immense. Alfa probably suffers the effects from that fiasco even to this day, as a brand. Even in AL, which has a higher number of enthusiasts per 100 members as opposed to the "Cars go from A-to-B" crowd, how many people would actually buy an Alfa? Probably wouldn't run out of fingers counting that number.

Ah right, that's entirely understandable, the alfasud fiasco did a hell of a lot of damage to Alfa's reputation on a practical basis. Was a time when alfas made perfectly reasonable everyday cars and things like the sud's rust and range wide electrical issues in the 80's cars kinda scuppered that once and for all. So if we're talking desirability in a purely practical sense then I agree totally.

But if we're talking just plain old Heart-over-head, tugging at the hearstrings, "fizzing behind my *****" DESIRE.... Well thats another story wouldn't you agree?

Ah right, that's entirely understandable, the alfasud fiasco did a hell of a lot of damage to Alfa's reputation on a practical basis. Was a time when alfas made perfectly reasonable everyday cars and things like the sud's rust and range wide electrical issues in the 80's cars kinda scuppered that once and for all. So if we're talking desirability in a purely practical sense then I agree totally.

But if we're talking just plain old Heart-over-head, tugging at the hearstrings, "fizzing behind my *****" DESIRE.... Well thats another story wouldn't you agree?

From all I've heard, yes :) I haven't really driven an Alfa yet. Shame no? :)

Get the message bro.........

We used to get really "reconditioned" cars in early 90...but what Japanese used car importers do now is just to give a face lift to their used cars by interior and exterior rather then truly RECONDITIONING vehicles.

"as it is" was not meant to say that were not cleaned and decor.....if thats what you understood...then so silly

wishvak i am very well aware of the condition of cars that came to SL couple of decades ago. That is not what were comparing earlier was it? This is what you said

Wasn't your point that the first couple of batches of vehicles produced by this BOI firm came with majority of the parts intact (and missing parts were substitute by 'used' parts) and therefore the end product is of a a superior quality than cars brought down by importers with all the parts in tact????? is it me or does that really make no sense?

Your assumption of importers give face lifts to every single car they import is very wrong i'm afraid (a similar sentiment was expressed earlier regarding odo meters). Majority of the imports especially cars and SUV (vehicles that fall under the 3 year age bracket) come in very good shape with decent millage. Take a stroll in the Colombo harbour and you'll be able to witness this. Think about it Japanese are very disciplined nation most of them do their service on time, quality of the workmen/workshops are top notch, road conditions are #1 and majority of the car owners use public transport regularly.

You do get the odd car that has been in a accident been imported 'as it is' and you do get importers that only import such cars. But as i was saying majority of the imports are in very good shape.

• 1 month later...

Read this on Sunday Times yesterday. Thought of sharing with you guys. feel sorry for the guys who bought these vehicles

Frustrated owners of 400 unregistered vehicles will file action in court

Drivers say they are being constantly hauled up by the Police for using unauthorised cars

More than 400 vehicle owners are filing action in the Supreme Court against the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (RMV) for refusing to register their cars. They say their fundamental rights have been violated.

The vehicle owners say they bought their vehicles from a Board of Investment-approved company that assembles cars with imported second-hand vehicle parts. The assembling is done in a factory in Minuwangoda.

The owners, who claim they are legally entitled to vehicle registration, say they are being repeatedly penalised by the Police for driving unregistered vehicles. They say the police have detained their vehicles, seized their driving licences, and even initiated court action against some of them.

The owners say the fundamental rights case application will cite the Board of Investment chairman, the Secretary to the Ministry of Finance, the Secretary to the Ministry of Transport, the head of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, the Director General of Customs, the Inspector General of Police, and the owner of the company that sells the vehicles.

Anthony Luke, owner of one of the unregistered cars, told the Sunday Times that he has been desperately trying to register his vehicle, without success, and that his driving licence was taken by the Police and has not yet been returned.

According to the Motor Traffic Act, which was amended in 2009, vehicles that were assembled with imported parts before the amendments were passed are legally entitled to registration. In a related development, the Police produced some of the unregistered vehicles in court, although the courts had not charged the persons with any offences.

Meanwhile, Motor Traffic Commissioner B. D. L. Dharmapriya told the Sunday Times that the vehicle registrations have been held up because of a Supreme Court ruling that the government will have to take a policy decision in the matter. “Until such time, we cannot register any of these vehicles,” he said.

The Supreme Court gave a ruling in early 2008, but the government has taken no action so far.

Harsha de Silva, owner of the private company that sells the assembled cars, told the Sunday Times that most of the vehicle owners have informed him about their plight, and that he is endeavouring to speak to the government and resolve the matter.

• 2 years later...

I'm also a victim of this bloody thing :( .

I bought a Carina TI MY Road from this company at a price of 1.75 mil(Facelifted model). Had to wait for about one year to get it registered. finally they got the permission for that by a cabinet paper, but we(owners) had to pay the tax. I paid Rs. 283000 as the tax & then only I got it registered. Soon as the registration done, I sold it out.

But, I have to admit that those vehicles are superb in condition as they are replacing all the worn out parts. Only problem is, the resale value of those vehicles are lesser than the existing market value.

BTW, only a single occassion I have caught by the cops & I had all the documents with me by that time. I was lucky, cos the cop didn't knew to read the papers as some of them were in English. So they let me go. I travelled Nuwara Eliya, Kandy, Dehiattakandiya, Trinco, Galle & Mathara several times but, that was the only occassion I got caught. May be I'm lucky enough :)