• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I Am Looking For A Mini Van Aka "batta Van"-advice Needed

lakshank

Question

Hi,

We have always been the users of big solid vans ( Mitsubishi PO25/ CR27/CR42 ) and jeeps ( Intercooler/ Defender) and the situation is now changing due to the prices of diesel and petrol. Not only the fuel factor, but driving a Defender inside Colombo in traffic hours is not something we want to do daily…(unless you are really strong and heroic).

I have seen the population of batta vans growing dramatically in the past few years. I have no idea what the different makes are or what the engine capacities are or anything. I need a comprehensive stairway from you guys because I have put a lot of thought in buying a batta van.

I would definitely go for an automatic transmission one with aircon. Can I find this spec. I have seen batta vans of Mitsubishi / Honda / and Hyundai ( don’t know for sure)….

1) What are the price tags like for different registration numbers and different makes. ..

2) How possible is it to have a finance on..and what would be the premium roughly…

3) This sounds a bit silly but taking into account of the vehicles we have been using in the past and present will we be able to live with it ( are there any disappointed users with batta vans and if so why? )

Please assist me because I am utterly unaware of this

i hav used a honda, suzuki ( both automatics) & a mitsubishi (minica - manual)...

out of all 3, the mitsubishi was the best!! i tink u shud go for manual, instead of an automatic!! automatics tend to giv a lot of trouble & slow pickup, specially once aircon is on (u'd rather walk)!:)

You're going from a Defender/Intercooler to a bata van? Big step down there buddy.

Why not hit it somewhere in the middle and get yourself a smaller more fuel efficient suv or crossover like a Vitara, Jimmy, Outlander, Xtrail Pajero io etc.?

You're going from a Defender/Intercooler to a bata van? Big step down there buddy.

Why not hit it somewhere in the middle and get yourself a smaller more fuel efficient suv or crossover like a Vitara, Jimmy, Outlander, Xtrail Pajero io etc.?

Dunno if u checked recently, but the Outlanderand Xtrails are pretty big. Bigger than the others anyway.

Anyone tried out the Suzuki SX-4? That fits the X-over/small suv category.

I know tuk tuk .... its a drastic gear down....i am advertising my volvo 960 in auto lanka too ...the main reason is all the vehicles we have at the moment are over 2500cc which i think is not the best idea these days.

even to go and buy a loaf of bread i have to turn on a bloody 6 cyclinder.

even to go and buy a loaf of bread i have to turn on a bloody 6 cyclinder.

If it's insane economy you want how about a new charade or toyota echo?

Kei vans honestly aren't all they are cut out to be - economy wise they can do max 12 - 13 km/l, which sux considering performance is 0-60 in 60 (at least those are the figures I've been told on this category of vehicle).

speaking of which if you just want to move around you could get a kei truck instead of a Kei van - they are cheaper and lighter (I know a chap selling a J series one for 500k approx)

So if a Kei truck would be OK for you, consider that instead of the van

Last but not least, you could also consider the Honda Beat which is a 4 wheel motorcycle or toy car depending on who you ask - it has the same engine as honda vans (650cc) but decent performance due to tiny size

speaking of which if you just want to move around you could get a kei truck instead of a Kei van - they are cheaper and lighter (I know a chap selling a J series one for 500k approx)

So if a Kei truck would be OK for you, consider that instead of the van

Even the tiniest kei trucks are registered as lorries, and you need a heavy vehicle license to drive it. I once wanted to borrow a kei truck from a friend to move some furniture around and this is when I got to know it.

I dont want to do that becoz it will ruin the originality of the car...ive been told by lot of people that LPG engines quickly get damaged. i dont know what really happens...but it seems like LPG quickly damages the engine...

It is a solid car with no problems what so ever. Volvos have a zinc coating on the body, hence they never get coroded. Volvo engines go for ever.

I initially had the idea of converting it into diesel. but my mechanic told that if i dump a diesel engine in i will also have to live with the pathetic vibration+noice+lot of other hidden problems, because it is meant to be a petrol..

hmm i really dont know what to do...Thats why i thought of selling this and to buy a small auto car or a auto van.(either petrol or diesel)

is anyone interested?

Edited by lakshank

Don't take me wrong, but why not you contact someone who deals in funeral coaches and see if they'll be interested.

Since you're in Malabe, I've seen this company around Koswatte area having Ford Mondeo wagons for sale as funeral coaches.

TRUE machan, it can be ideal for a funeral undertaker due the length of the car.

but i dont want to take it to the them. these people will undervalue the car and start haggling. U know our sri lankans...if they feel that the seller is in a rush to sell it, our guys try to exploit him and rip him off.

i would rather leave it inside the garage.

I dont want to do that becoz it will ruin the originality of the car...ive been told by lot of people that LPG engines quickly get damaged. i dont know what really happens...but it seems like LPG quickly damages the engine...

Don't believe everything they tell you ;)

Actually, LPG burns cleaner than gasoline, produces less harmful emissions and leaves less residue in the engine.

Of course LPG has a bad reputation here because most of our people don't know how to install those systems properly...