• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Laptop For Rs.100,000?

streetKIA

Bought it from Singapore. Best is to buy it from US, Aussie or Singapore. UK is more expensive than SL when you convert to Rs.

Yeah I guess if I could buy it abroad I would get the best deal. Saw a Dell in hong kong 2.0Ghz, 160Gb, 2Gb ram, for Rs.80,000

Hey guys, what's the difference between a Celeron processor and a Celeron-M processor? Which is better?

Thankfully we have an Intel guy here (Fuzzo) who can provide a better answer, but in the mean time I will tell you what I know (or believe)...

Celeron's are cut down budget processors where good stuff (like L1/L2 cache has been disabled/reduced/removed).

Best to go for a normal processor than a Celeron.

AFAIK the Celeron M is based on the Pentium M - a new (or actually old as of now) processor developped in Israel, based on P3 technology that tends to be part of the centrino platform and is a decendant of P3 architecture somewhat.

So given the choice between Celeron and Celeron M, go for the Celeron M as it is more energy efficient (and based on newer architecture)

Actually, right now both these architectures are obsolete and have been replaced by the 'core' architecture... or micro-architecture?

Still... fuzzo will be able to fill you in with more details on this

Hey guys, what's the difference between a Celeron processor and a Celeron-M processor? Which is better?

The M is for Mobile, I believe. Less power consumption, less heat, stuff like that. Probably more expensive, tho I have no idea, coz I haven't really looked into it.

The M is for Mobile, I believe. Less power consumption, less heat, stuff like that. Probably more expensive, tho I have no idea, coz I haven't really looked into it.

I think M is for the mobile version of the processor. The laptop processors are celeron M and pentium M. Centrino is a brand name which consists of the pentium M processor and intel wireless card.

I think M is for the mobile version of the processor. The laptop processors are celeron M and pentium M. Centrino is a brand name which consists of the pentium M processor and intel wireless card.

Yes. the M stands for mobile... Mobile processors are designed in a different architecture to save power ( battery life) & less heat... but all this will end with the new Core architecture coming in to the picture.

Also Centrino is not a Brand name.. it's a Platform for Mobile Pc's Ex. Centrino , Viiv...etc.

When you see a Centrino logo on a Notebook it means that the Processor is a Mobile CPU , it has a Intel chipset & supports a Wireless card.

Also note that the Logo color codes also give different spec.

if any one need to know more about such stuff drop me a mail.. will be more that happy to help out.. ( oh by the way.. this is not meant for Fuzzo) :lol:

terabite...good to see that all those trainings you have been to paying off....

the answers posted on here are correct. 100 points for everyone :)

celerons in general have a bad rap in SL coz they think it's a low quality product. it's not really (unbiased opinion) THe celeron is good bang for buck for home use and even basic office use.

Celeron processors are an excellent (cost effective) alternative for general use: I.e. if you want to use your PC for just surfing the web, some wordprocessing and an occational DVD, then a celeron would be more than enough for you.

On the other hand if you need to run complex processor heavy software and/or games (and push your PC to the limit) you probably would want the non celeron processor (and maybe a better graphics card).

Most office PC's/laptops sold here would be perfectly fine with celeron processors, but people buy the more expensive versions just to feel they are getting something better.

Think of a Celeron as a standard Civic vs the Civic SI.

Note: Celerons differ depending on the architecture - so a celeron M is different from a celeron based on P2, P3 or P4 architectures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron

Back to your question: the Celeron M is probably a good buy. However, as shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron#Mobil...n_and_Celeron_M

In my original post I said the celeron M is based on Pentium M. Turns out that there are Celeron M's based on many different architectures: e.g. Tualatin (P3?), Northwood (p4), Banias ("Pentium M aka "Centrino"), as well as core solo/duo.

So before you buy it's best to figure out exactly what Celeron M your PC has - it should probably be in the specs.

Edited by Saturn

Thanks for all the info guys. So im guessing a duo core would be much better than a celeron. A lot of notebooks I've seen these days are all Celeron M. I found a acer 1.73 Ghz duo core with 80Gb, 1 GB RAM,, and with a Intel GMA 950 with 224mb. I also saw a Asus 1.86 Ghz celeron-M, 60Gb, 512 RAM, and it had a ATI Xpress 200M with 128 mb. Asus and Acer seem to be the cheapest and with the most options. The asus was aso 10,000 bucks cheaper. The toshiba satellite L100 is 100,000 but has a 1.6Ghz celeron-M. What would be the best buy?

terabite...good to see that all those trainings you have been to paying off....

the answers posted on here are correct. 100 points for everyone :)

celerons in general have a bad rap in SL coz they think it's a low quality product. it's not really (unbiased opinion) THe celeron is good bang for buck for home use and even basic office use.

I dnt know anything abt Laptops bt im using celron 2.4Ghz cpu's in our cafe for almost 2 yrs and still no problems at all bt if u have plug 512MB ram u dnt feel any difference and make sure the chipset is intel

I still belive the best chipset every built buy the intel is 865PE its awesome, anyway now nvidia is the leading chipset maker right ? thesedays im out of computing and dnt know much abt latest technolodgy bt if anyone want to keep in tuch go to www.guru3d.com

Edited by GihanFX

My idea about laptops

I think pentium processors are very good for laptops. Among them Pentium M (or duo) with centrino will do the best. I would recommend speed greater than 2.1Ghz. Dont go for Celeron processors. Their Cash memory is too low. Also, dont go for a pentium 4, it is not meant for laptops.

Well, my experience with brand, I had a ACER TM1450, which gave a problem just after 1 year. A problem with the CPU cooling system, caused sudden shut down the mechine. For god sake, it was under warranty, so got a free repair.

Now, I have a Dell Latitude, it performs very well.

I dont know the availability of DELL in SL, normally they do web based business

Thanks for all the info guys. So im guessing a duo core would be much better than a celeron. A lot of notebooks I've seen these days are all Celeron M. I found a acer 1.73 Ghz duo core with 80Gb, 1 GB RAM,, and with a Intel GMA 950 with 224mb. I also saw a Asus 1.86 Ghz celeron-M, 60Gb, 512 RAM, and it had a ATI Xpress 200M with 128 mb. Asus and Acer seem to be the cheapest and with the most options. The asus was aso 10,000 bucks cheaper. The toshiba satellite L100 is 100,000 but has a 1.6Ghz celeron-M. What would be the best buy?

can you tell me the specific models of those three laptops, specs (what you know), links (to the specific laptop on manufacturer web site if known), and prices and I'll try to research on them..

Celeron/celeron-m is fine for normal use. You don't need a core2duo unless you need to run games/high end software...

Can you also tell me what task(s) you want to use the laptop, as well as what's important for you (speed, price, graphics, efficiency, etc.,)

Edited by Saturn

can you tell me the specific models of those three laptops, specs (what you know), links (to the specific laptop on manufacturer web site if known), and prices and I'll try to research on them..

Celeron/celeron-m is fine for normal use. You don't need a core2duo unless you need to run games/high end software...

Can you also tell me what task(s) you want to use the laptop, as well as what's important for you (speed, price, graphics, efficiency, etc.,)

1) Acer Aspire 5613

2) Asus A6rp

4) Toshiba satellite L100

I've mentioned pretty much all the specifications I know about the three laptops. As I said earlier I need the notebook for college, so it has to be reasonably fast, adequate graphics to play a few games like WOW, etc. It also has to be very very efficient and reliable.

Edited by streetKIA

The Asus one seems to has the best graphics option. Before buying a laptop with an intel graphics, check all the specs on the card such as 'Hardware Transform and lighting (T&L). (I recently found out that the graphics card on my laptop doesnt support that feature :( ) Celeron M's in the 1.4Ghz to 1.8Ghz range has double of the L2 cache than Pentium M processors. If you are going for a Celeron M go to the highest speed you can get since some games require the processor to be of some speed (NFS carbon needs 1.7Ghz +).

Check the speed of the hard drive u r getting cos many laptop's come wth the 4200rpm drives but nowadays they should be 5400rpm. This gives some great increase on perfomance since more data can be read and written.

I use a Compaq Pressario M2000 series laptop with 1.4Ghz Celeron M processor. Been using it for nearly 2 yrs. One issue was it was bit slow till I added a 512MB ram to the 256 that came with it. That gives upto 128Mb shared graphics on the intel 915 card it's got. The other one was the 40Gb 4200rpm hard drive was kinda gettin slow and makin some noise. replaced it with a 80GB 5400 rpm drive.

On design..nothing can beat APPLE :alc:

nice to see apple user in da forum. yes apple's really cool. i gotta Macbook and a Dell Inspiron.

talking about DELL Inspiron cheap when you buy online. no third party involvement. im using it now for more than 4 yrs. its a P4 M 1.8. not bad for that time. I used one at office too its a DELL D620 Latitude.

i think when Laptop comes cheaper the weight of the laptop goes up too and bulkier.

anyway once you start to use a MAC cant go back

The Asus one seems to has the best graphics option. Before buying a laptop with an intel graphics, check all the specs on the card such as 'Hardware Transform and lighting (T&L). (I recently found out that the graphics card on my laptop doesnt support that feature :( ) Celeron M's in the 1.4Ghz to 1.8Ghz range has double of the L2 cache than Pentium M processors. If you are going for a Celeron M go to the highest speed you can get since some games require the processor to be of some speed (NFS carbon needs 1.7Ghz +).

Check the speed of the hard drive u r getting cos many laptop's come wth the 4200rpm drives but nowadays they should be 5400rpm. This gives some great increase on perfomance since more data can be read and written.

I use a Compaq Pressario M2000 series laptop with 1.4Ghz Celeron M processor. Been using it for nearly 2 yrs. One issue was it was bit slow till I added a 512MB ram to the 256 that came with it. That gives upto 128Mb shared graphics on the intel 915 card it's got. The other one was the 40Gb 4200rpm hard drive was kinda gettin slow and makin some noise. replaced it with a 80GB 5400 rpm drive.

The graphics card on the asus has hardware T&L, but the GMA 950 on the acer doesn't. It only had T&L software I think. On Intel's website it states that the GMA 950 can play games like NFS most wanted, world of warcraft, etc I'm guessung on medium settings though.

speeddemon200, in my book a £1300 laptop doesn't falls under the budged laptop category

i agree with Don, early generation Vios had lot of heating issues and they are very hard to diagnose and fix once a problem occur

@ The Don n' xXx

ok now FYI as follows;

i was in streetkia's position when i was buyin this laptop. I was lookin for a gud poweful allrounder at a gud price. i am aware dat a £1300 laptop is way outta budget, however i stick to my point dat VAIO is now tryin to enter da average user's market in a big way, hence da gr8 VFM. da prices of da new vaio's r jus amazin 4 da features u get.

i almost bought a hp dat was bigger in size wit similar specs. n' da price was a bit higher. i luk'd at dell, ibm, acer n' toshiba also, n' as surprisin as it was to me da VAIO offered da most features at da lowest price, plus it was alot sleeker dan da rest as well.

of course da acer was a bit cheaper dan this but i heard it had major over heatin issues even to da point of certain parts meltin inside(dunno how tru this is but was afraid to risk it).

as for da overheatin issues, yes i did hav them for abt a month or so, da prob was nt serious at all, n' was sorted wit sum updates frm da VAIO site. now it's workin gr8.

jus to remind u all again i hav no clue of da local market.

• 2 weeks later...
nice to see apple user in da forum. yes apple's really cool. i gotta Macbook and a Dell Inspiron.

talking about DELL Inspiron cheap when you buy online. no third party involvement. im using it now for more than 4 yrs. its a P4 M 1.8. not bad for that time. I used one at office too its a DELL D620 Latitude.

i think when Laptop comes cheaper the weight of the laptop goes up too and bulkier.

anyway once you start to use a MAC cant go back

hey,

i dont know if you bought your laptop, but in case you havent may i make a suggestion.

go for a DELL. Due to the the bad publicity DELL had with exploding batteries they stiill havent been able to sell their laptops at the prices they used to. I got my Inspiron 6400 last august (in S'pore) for 125,000. that includes a 1.83 centrino duo processor with 1GB ram, DVD re-writer, 15. wide screen 60GB HDD, onboard bluetoth and wireless, SD card reader. this also includes a 3 year international warenty. And tsince Dell doesnt have a showroom per-say in S'pore everything is done online. in fact they diliver the machine to you wthin 3 days of payment right to your dorstep. and if you have something wrong with it just vcall them they'll do an on-site repair. a freind with a Dell messed up his LCD and they came with a extra moitor and had done the repair within a hour or so. and since you said that you do a fair bit of traveling i'm sure you can get yours in S'pore or something.

though i must say am quite amazed by apple's features. wouldnt mind having one of those as a 2nd laptop (if i can afford it). Very nice features. got apple.com and check out the "i'm PC, i'm Mac" adverts.

but for office use i'd say go for the Dell, cos apple's pretty white might not stay pretty-white for long with lots pof mobile use.

hey,

i dont know if you bought your laptop, but in case you havent may i make a suggestion.

go for a DELL. Due to the the bad publicity DELL had with exploding batteries they stiill havent been able to sell their laptops at the prices they used to. I got my Inspiron 6400 last august (in S'pore) for 125,000. that includes a 1.83 centrino duo processor with 1GB ram, DVD re-writer, 15. wide screen 60GB HDD, onboard bluetoth and wireless, SD card reader. this also includes a 3 year international warenty. And tsince Dell doesnt have a showroom per-say in S'pore everything is done online. in fact they diliver the machine to you wthin 3 days of payment right to your dorstep. and if you have something wrong with it just vcall them they'll do an on-site repair. a freind with a Dell messed up his LCD and they came with a extra moitor and had done the repair within a hour or so. and since you said that you do a fair bit of traveling i'm sure you can get yours in S'pore or something.

though i must say am quite amazed by apple's features. wouldnt mind having one of those as a 2nd laptop (if i can afford it). Very nice features. got apple.com and check out the "i'm PC, i'm Mac" adverts.

but for office use i'd say go for the Dell, cos apple's pretty white might not stay pretty-white for long with lots pof mobile use.

gr8 price dude for those specs....jus dat da HDD is a bit small....nt a prob for a lap...tho cause u can always get an external HDD.....Gr8 Buy....

gr8 price dude for those specs....jus dat da HDD is a bit small....nt a prob for a lap...tho cause u can always get an external HDD.....Gr8 Buy....

yeah, the hard drive id the one thing i regret about my purchase. i now realize that i should have loosened the purse strings a bit more and pocketed out the extra Rs.2,100 and gnefor a 80GB. :( but i have 3 40GB external HDDs. and i write movies and stuff on DVDs when i have enough to fill a DVD.

though i wont be buying a new laptop in the forseeable future i keep track of Dell's offers and realize they're still cheaper than most other brands. reason being no showroom/middlean expenses....do it online and you save a LOT!!!!

check it out:

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/c...;l=en&s=dhs

and i'd advise to stay awar from Acers. 90% of acer owners have had some form of trouble with their comps. One acer (travelmate 2300 i think) overheated so much that it literally caught fire! another 2 had hard drive failure. another's motherboard was replaced. another 2 had screen defects. another person's hinge gave away and broke, another's casing beow the keyboard is snapping off (hehasnt dropped it or anything).. if you're lookinf for durability, nothing beats a IBM. man those things are hardy! you can even drop it of spill liquids on it... liquids simply drip out of its bottom!!! only negative factor is that its butt-ugly. its just unbarebly ugly...