• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can You Get Copped For Having A Muffler !!!!

Terabite

Question

Hi AL Members,

I was just cruising along Braybrook Place, when two cops stopped me..i was a bit confused as to why, nevertheless.. Being a Good driver, got down the car and headed to the cops.

When I asked why i was asked to stop, they mentioned that I cannot drive around with a muffler.. !!!! sounds stupid to me… Is there any think like that in the law books… I felt that he was after some Green Notes… I some how managed to talk my way out of it… But I still remain curious to know, “ what does the law say about having Mufflers??”

God Speed

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Not sure... if thats th case can any one please give the link

there is a thread. cant't find it. :unsure:

yes there is i guess. i know a few ppl. who got copped like that.

most of da time, it's just our dirty cops lukin for some of da green stuff as u sd.

da law is that the sound of da vehicle should nt be excesive(sorry no clue abt da technicalities.). i wud think this applies to cars built for racing, due to da sound generated by their straight thru exhausts.

really dunno, ne guru's on SL motorin law in da house??

When I asked why i was asked to stop, they mentioned that I cannot drive around with a muffler.. !!!!

They can (and will) stop you for any reason, real or imagined. Maybe they were having a boring day or just wanted to admire your car up close.

If they want to stop vehicle with loud exhausts, perhaps they should try stopping buses..

Edited by Saturn

Looks like SL is becoming like Dubai? They say you cant have aftermarket exhausts, but no rule or gazzete?

1/2 the time i get pulled over, they say "you big exhaust", "u illegal modifications". then finally they ask where i buy my parts from and whether i will sell the car :-/

Life sucks when your a true racing enthusiasts because of stupid drivers who spoil the name of modifications. dunno how it is there though.

feel like telling them u big baboon, just go check my driving history to see if any of these modifications have made me drive recklessly on the streets. as said above, its all in the head .. whether their bored, whether their kids bday is coming up, new year?Xmas? or just in the mood for a chicken buriyaani.

Edited by albertho

They can (and will) stop you for any reason, real or imagined. Maybe they were having a boring day or just wanted to admire your car up close.

If they want to stop vehicle with loud exhausts, perhaps they should try stopping buses..

You got that right my friend...

If cops talk bout car exhausts...then the 1st thing they should do is stop all the leyland n tata buses. Those ppl have the most loudest and annoying noise of all vehicles...then comes the three wheelers too...

I heard frm somewhere that the bus ppl also modify their exhausts to bring out that noise..also they add petrol too it seems ( guess to have drags wth other buses :lol: )

They tried the aftermarket exhaust excuse on me too, but I said it was a factory standard, and the cop couldn't figure out what the car was, since there are no badges anywhere :)

got copped for the same last week... me also don't have badges but they were a little more cheeky and wanted to see my 'birth certificate'... i asked the cops where on earth they detail exhaust particulars on a car reg book???? i gave them a copy they went through it and let me go... i too used the 'factory fitted exhaust' stunt and was pretty confident of taking it to senok :D

Thats the advantage of having a Defender. They never pull me over . I have no revenue license, insurance and still doing around 80 mph looking right into the cop's eyes who points the speed gun. They point it to the sky.

trust me ..this is working and i have never had any problems. even if they signal me to pull over i just give them a wave and step up on gas.

they think i am a friend or someone.

try it out. it should work as it has helped me so far.

Thats the advantage of having a Defender. They never pull me over . I have no revenue license, insurance and still doing around 80 mph looking right into the cop's eyes who points the speed gun. They point it to the sky.

trust me ..this is working and i have never had any problems. even if they signal me to pull over i just give them a wave and step up on gas.

Well man for your theory to work for the rest of us we would have to own defenders too, and plus I do not think the particular problem in question is that relevant to a defender, but if it is please excuse my ignorance.

outta topic but watch out with that defender trick ... u might end up like Seargent Nallathambi who tried the same trick too but wasnt successful. or was it some other celebrity? im getting old ... excuse me.

hahaha true say. you got it spot on mate

got copped for the same last week... me also don't have badges but they were a little more cheeky and wanted to see my 'birth certificate'... i asked the cops where on earth they detail exhaust particulars on a car reg book???? i gave them a copy they went through it and let me go... i too used the 'factory fitted exhaust' stunt and was pretty confident of taking it to senok :D

Hmm I dont know why you had to even show them a copy of the book.. I dont think its one of the legal documents that needs to be carried in a car as an upto date revenue license should cover the book issue. Its easy to defend you're self when it comes to Subarus though. :D

You should try that trick at the Security stops, especially the ones with multiple guards with multiple AK-47s

yep really not worth taking the risk with the check points.. but the issue is with the traffic cops!

Anyway can anyone share some info on an after market low noise barrel system.. maybe useful for the other forum members

Terrabite yes there is a law on loud and modified exhausts.But few words with the cop will sort the problem.Make sure you use the motoring magic words like "Manifold pressure" "Cata-converter" "boost pressure" "anti-lag" ...and that'll make your way out. :lol: Majority of them are dumb and all know nothing about exhausts :D

They tried the aftermarket exhaust excuse on me too, but I said it was a factory standard, and the cop couldn't figure out what the car was, since there are no badges anywhere :)

Good one...

Terabite how did you talk your way out of the cops???? what did you say to them? I’m quite rubbish at this so maybe i can nick few lines off you lol

Dude..Mini Ace just Answered your Question....

I told them that it was a Ceramic Coated Exhaust, which diverts the maniford Pressure outwards , than inwards....( and whole lot of garbage... , i told them most of the Honda's in Japan are fitted with high noise exhausts... & if they think this was loud... they should check out a road race or fox hill.... well they were too dum struck.. as if a lightning bolt had hit the guys.. they were like.. it's ok....it's o.k go.. go...

hehehehehe

When you know their weak point.. make sure you use it for your advantage.

Terrabite yes there is a law on loud and modified exhausts.But few words with the cop will sort the problem.Make sure you use the motoring magic words like "Manifold pressure" "Cata-converter" "boost pressure" "anti-lag" ...and that'll make your way out. :lol: Majority of them are dumb and all know nothing about exhausts :D

I have another one for the next time I get stopped. I have a JASMA certified barrel :D Must see if that works :D

the funny thing is my mini is quite loud, but i have never got copped for noise, (upto now )

my theory will also be the same (factory fitted ) :P if i get copped

i'm sure miniace will agree 99% of the mini's are with loud barrels

i have a very dark tint also in front shutters

but lot of cops are very curious about the 300- number plate :D

Edited by MRM

interesting topic

i got copped in my sti 8 near hortan place on sunday was doing like 30km an hour, he said its too loud and to be honest its just a standard sti exhuast.

hence he took my license. got it back tho :D

its crazy cause if you walk on the road some of the indian busses are louder than a ferari 360 modena. but for some reason they dont get copped.

Edited by darinwrxsti

its crazy cause if you walk on the road some of the indian busses are louder than a ferari 360 modena. but for some reason they dont get copped.

A, they don't have the grease

B, They'll probably threaten trade union action and call the whole public transport system to a halt.

Although I do agree on the noise generated. :D Makes me wonder if the Ferrari has ever been stopped for a loud exhaust :D