• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Often U Should Service A Vehicle..?????

nadskit

Hey people...logged in after ages...

In general how often should one service a vehicle? is it strictly based on the milage or does it depend on the usage of the vehicle..?

As per my knowledge, if its a normal day to day use car (not a racing,not a 4x4) then we can consider the service based on the millage done. for a petrol it would be 5000 KM, although the service stations mark the next due by 3000 KM.. i used to service my previous vehicle after 3000 KM done.. but then i think obviously 5000 can be done.

- it depends on your engine oil and other stuff you use too for a service.

BUT the thing is, me doing the service after 5000 KM's using Mobil,ect. and my dad doing his vehicles service by almost 10,000+ KM at the same time using Caltex,etc. i dont see much difference.. he says these are almost 6,7 years old and do not need expensive oils and maintenance :P

dats wot i know about this. hopefully the experts will shed some light :)

I use mobile xhp and change my engine oil and filter every 4000 kms so it gets a full service then. But even if I havn't got that milleage, every 3 months, I get everything checked up, topped and serviced. The undercarriage wash is pretty important, with all the mud, rain and dust on our roads the chances of our cars getting rusted is pretty high so I would say you can't go wrong with servicing every 3 months.

In general how often should one service a vehicle? is it strictly based on the milage or does it depend on the usage of the vehicle..?

5000kms is the recomended for us. Depends on the oil you use. Are you using synthetic?

Every 5-6k kms or 6months on normal mineral/semi-synth oil whichever comes first

My advice the same.

Depends on usage of vehicle. Manufacturer specifications usually include this note somewhere (or should).

99% of the vehicles we have on our roads were not designed for this country, so manufacturer specifications are a useful guideline but you have to take into account the extreme usage conditions.

I'm gathering you have a reasonably new vehicle (2001+) if so 5k-6k kms (as Pila suggested) is fine. If its an older car you might want to service a bit more often, especially if the engine/mechanical conditon isn't great. (Also, time wise, I would suggest you service at least every 2-3 months).

You can also get an undercarriage/oil wash (not sure if this is included in typical service) this is a good idea for vehicles here due to the large amounts of dust etc in the roads.

One other thing you could do (as a habit) is to personally check your vehicle once in a way (if you don't already do this), as in, check engine oil level and conditon, radiator water/coolant level (when cold!!) brake fluid level, battery water level, power steering fluid, ATF fluid, etc... you can check these things yourself once in a way (say once in 2 weeks) just takes a few minutes. True modern cars don't loose fluid unless theres a serious problem but its useful for you as an owner to keep an eye on things and not just rely on the service station.

Edited by Saturn

I was informed by lot of sources that the penetrating oil which is normally sprayed after the undercarriage wash is not advisible and hence not to do it. The reason is this oil makes it easy for the dust and mud to stick in to the chasis and the underneath of the vehicle which will eventually expedite the rusting process.

I now give the chasis a thorough clean with high pressure water.