• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ownership Transfer

Croozer

Hi guys, need some advice on the following:

I purchased an old car on the 31Mar07 on cash basis.

I have got the transfer papers filled by the previous owner & need to send for ownership transfer.

1. How much will it cost to get it done on 'one day service' ?

2. What is the normal service fee & how long will that take ? (IF not one day service)

3. I have only 1 completed MTA6 form. The previous owner whose an expert said that instead of filling all I

can submit photo copies as it carries same info on all 4 forms. Is this okay with RMV?

4. Is there a defined time frame from date of purchase & transfer ? Its more than a month now :unsure:

Hope u guys can help me out with ur expert comments.

Cheers

I have got the transfer papers filled by the previous owner & need to send for ownership transfer.

2. What is the normal service fee & how long will that take ? (IF not one day service)

3. I have only 1 completed MTA6 form. The previous owner whose an expert said that instead of filling all I

can submit photo copies as it carries same info on all 4 forms. Is this okay with RMV?

4. Is there a defined time frame from date of purchase & transfer ? Its more than a month now :unsure:

Cheers

I do not think there is a time limit, sorry bro have no idea about the rest of the stuff

Cheers

I think you should try to transfer the vehicle soon. Remember that the vehicle still "belongs" to that person until you transfer to your name. If he is a close friend/family then its OK but otherwise it's best to transfer it soon.

A few notes:

- Cost of one day transfer isn't much - about a thousand something I think, but worth it as you get the new log book by afternoon.

- make sure you get someone to fill both 'witness' sections - that must be filled otherwise the form will not be accepted. I forgot this and was in a bit of a fix but one kind old chap next to me offered to fill it for me.

Sorry I was unable to tell you more as I don't remember much (last transfered a car about an year ago or so).

Cheers

The fee for one day transfer would be around 1500 (i think its less than that). Go the RMV before 9 and as soon as they open the gates rush in. Then you'll be able to get it done soon. I think you need 2 passport size photo graphs and a copy of your NIC as well. Machan i advice you to fill all the forms instead of photo copying them.Read the instructions on the tranfer papers carefully. If you use the oneday service you'd be able to get the new documents in the evening.

Normal service would take ages machan and during that period if you decide to see the car that would be a head ache. As far as i know there is no time frame but what they advice is to get it transferred as soon as you buy the car.

If you are planning to sell the car anytime soon my advice to you is not to register it under your name as all does is add another name to the book. Some buyers are very concern about the number of names in the book and this can decrease the value of your car.

Cheers

Hi guys,

2 months ago I did a 1 day transfer(My New March-IMPUL :alc: ) and it cost me around rs 7000

I cant remember the exact break down but roughly its as follows

1. 1000~1500 for one day transfer

2. 2000 some thing for 1st transfer(surcharge applicable for all 1 st transfers/second owners)

3. 2000 for de-registration (when there was a lease on previous owner)

4. 1000 - cant remember for what

and there was another charge for new number plates - I changed province WP=>SP

And should say I was impressed with the service.

I went to RMV around 9am after calling office that im not sure about coming to work that day.

but I collected the trafer documents, book and every thing and manage to leave the place 11.15 am.

just 2 hour and 15 minits for all......

But only problem is they told me my new number plates will be ready by a month and they will be diliverd to new AGA office in the tranfer paper but new AGA office keep saying they dont know anything about it.

and im still running with old number plates :D .

Nipuna

Edited by nipunas

3. 2000 for de-registration (when there was a lease on previous owner)

Hi,

Just add another matter to the topic, can any body know the cost of re-registration of older vehicles to english numbers (FZ or sth) ? and what 's the procedure on this.

Tks in advance

is that even possible??????

Probably yes, i guess @ 1 time there were talks of getting all the older cars to be english plated (new term :D) or so... But i do know that old 98- vehicles when changing hands are converted to FZ-'s.

One day service is better. I heard from a person (works at RMV) one day service is the best becuase it creates no toubles if all documents are in place.

Sometimes, with normal service, it will take months to receive the registration paper.

Probably yes, i guess @ 1 time there were talks of getting all the older cars to be english plated (new term :D) or so... But i do know that old 98- vehicles when changing hands are converted to FZ-'s.

98- ones ar they DPL vehicles??????

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I bought a registered car recently and got it transfered through the one day service. Please find below the required documents (to transfer a pre registered car within 1 day)

1) Transfer papers (duly signed and witnessed)

2) Original of registration book

3) 2 Photographs attested by a JP/Grama Sevaka/Notary (says the photo has to be less than 6 months old but mine was much older)

4) Letter cancelling the previous owners lease (if there was any)

5) NIC or DL original for verification + copy for documentation

Process

1) Gates open at 8AM with National Anthem, go in as early as possible

2) Go upstairs, take right corridor from top of staircase and walk in through door with tinted glass.

3) Take a number from the counter top

4) Business starts @ 9AM

5) Person calls the number checks the docs and passes them to the next counter who verifies and gives a reciept for payment.

6) Charges were 1650 + 350 (2K) and has to be paid at the Bank which ajoins the RMV building within the same premises.

7) Take paid reciept upstairs again and they will ask you to paste it in a prepared file. (Gum is there)

8) Once that is done, a reciept will be given and I was told to come back after 2pm

All in all i went @ 8AM and left by 11AM. Satisfactory service although it was annoying with every tom dick and harry trying to butt in at the counter and the counter person having to tell each and everyone individually to take a number and sit and wait.

Hi,

I bought a registered car recently and got it transfered through the one day service. Please find below the required documents (to transfer a pre registered car within 1 day)

3) 2 Photographs attested by a JP/Grama Sevaka/Notary (says the photo has to be less than 6 months old but mine was much older)

Process

2) Go upstairs, take right corridor from top of staircase and walk in through door with tinted glass.

4) Business starts @ 9AM

5) Person calls the number checks the docs and passes them to the next counter who verifies and gives a reciept for payment.

6) Charges were 1650 + 350 (2K) and has to be paid at the Bank which ajoins the RMV building within the same premises.

7) Take paid reciept upstairs again and they will ask you to paste it in a prepared file. (Gum is there)

8) Once that is done, a reciept will be given and I was told to come back after 2pm

All in all i went @ 8AM and left by 11AM. Satisfactory service although it was annoying with every tom dick and harry trying to butt in at the counter and the counter person having to tell each and everyone individually to take a number and sit and wait.

thanks for all these info machan...in SL its always better to know the procedures before you go to a government department. thanks again.

Hi,

Process

4) Business starts @ 9AM

Hi StarScream,

Tks for sharing your experience with us.

I guess for the above list we have to add the "Revenue License & Insurance Doc's" as well.

For me it cost only only 1750.00 (Sorry I can't remember the breakdown but if any of you guys need pls let me know)

Also I guess for english numbers along with the registration book they will also require something called the VIC (Vehicle Identity Card, Correct me if I am wrong)

They accept applications until 11 am & delivery starts from 2 pm onwards.

Small note of advice : Pls re-check data prior to leaving the premises coz on mine they had mentioned the seating capacity as -1 (minus one) So after a bit of argument & fuss they printed a new one for me on the spot.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks EVO_Croozer for pointing the docs i missed out. Yeah, Revenue License and insurance docs are necessary and they accept applications only till 11AM. Mine was a 19 dash car so VIC wasnt required. I had to send another party to pick the papers up (no need to go in person to pick up, can nominate somebody by writing his/her ID number on the reciept and signing) therefore my seating capacity is also 3 (excluding the driver i suppose). And they managed to spell my name wrong!

Hi,

Thanks EVO_Croozer for pointing the docs i missed out. Yeah, Revenue License and insurance docs are necessary and they accept applications only till 11AM. Mine was a 19 dash car so VIC wasnt required. I had to send another party to pick the papers up (no need to go in person to pick up, can nominate somebody by writing his/her ID number on the reciept and signing) therefore my seating capacity is also 3 (excluding the driver i suppose). And they managed to spell my name wrong!

Yes machan earlier they used to quote seating capacity including the driver but now they quote it minus the driver.

Sad to hear that they messed up your name :unsure:

Guys, heard that there is a process to change old no's into English plates.

Any of you already done it ? Any idea about the process + costs involved ?

Cheers