• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Notes On Cvt

Hola

Guys,

On CVT, specialy which come for Hondas. Whats the real oil changing interval? I always thought its 40,000kms and today when i took for service the boys in blue (agents) said the oil looks dirty blah blah blah and cars with CVT gear boxes should be changed in every 15,000kms. Anyway i did changed the oil as it was dark brown colored. Cost 6000 bucks. But 15,000 to 15,000??

Whats right? Any Honda CVT users here?

Guys,

On CVT, specialy which come for Hondas. Whats the real oil changing interval? I always thought its 40,000kms and today when i took for service the boys in blue (agents) said the oil looks dirty blah blah blah and cars with CVT gear boxes should be changed in every 15,000kms. Anyway i did changed the oil as it was dark brown colored. Cost 6000 bucks. But 15,000 to 15,000??

Whats right? Any Honda CVT users here?

Hi hola,

I have got an owners manual of a Honda ES8. According to that you have to change CVT oil after every 40,000km or 2 years, whichever comes first. When you changed the oil last time did they use an ATF exchanger to do it?

I changed it 30,000kms ago. But i found the oil a bit brown. The boys in blue made a big shout saying "budu ammo it should be changed every 15,000kms". I guess CVT gear oil sales are low and this is a new gimmik

I changed it 30,000kms ago. But i found the oil a bit brown. The boys in blue made a big shout saying "budu ammo it should be changed every 15,000kms". I guess CVT gear oil sales are low and this is a new gimmik

Its bit funny because what the owners manual says is this,

Continously Variable Transmission

(CVT)

If you drive at high speed in high temperatures(35 C)or above the tranamission fluid should be changed

every 40000km or 2 years, whichever comes first.

I have no practical experiance machan so try to find a person who is using a car with a CVT gear box. He'll be able to help you.

No bro, if the Honda manual says so then 40,000 it is for sure. Maybe keep 2000kms as trafic allowance and change in 38,000. Plus the manual also says in 2 years too. I dont run my car that much so might as well do it 2years to 2 years. Thanks for the info!

No bro, if the Honda manual says so then 40,000 it is for sure. Maybe keep 2000kms as trafic allowance and change in 38,000. Plus the manual also says in 2 years too. I dont run my car that much so might as well do it 2years to 2 years. Thanks for the info!

machan this is off the subject but how the honda service centre now? Do they allow you to go and see while they are carrying our services on your car? Last time i went there i saw i sign saying "STAFF ONLY".B****HIT

machan this is off the subject but how the honda service centre now? Do they allow you to go and see while they are carrying our services on your car? Last time i went there i saw i sign saying "STAFF ONLY".B****HIT

No definitley we are still on CVT. But as a comment on your last line, its true they tell you to move away. But be a bit stern and just go to your car. For an instance i have to keep them reminding a dozens of times to be careful when they hold high pressure vacum for the engine as i got the K&N. And even today i stoped it and he just said "oh i thought its good to slightly hold the vacum hose". They are the experts with no doubts but if you have something special which has to be moniterd closley then its our call if they ask us to move away from the servicing bay.

And once again on CVT, i was just next to the car when it was draining etc and no metal pieces found just dark brown ATF (thank god). Thanks for confirming that its 2years or 40,000kms for changing interval Nimz. You are a star!

No definitley we are still on CVT. But as a comment on your last line, its true they tell you to move away. But be a bit stern and just go to your car. For an instance i have to keep them reminding a dozens of times to be careful when they hold high pressure vacum for the engine as i got the K&N. And even today i stoped it and he just said "oh i thought its good to slightly hold the vacum hose". They are the experts with no doubts but if you have something special which has to be moniterd closley then its our call if they ask us to move away from the servicing bay.

And once again on CVT, i was just next to the car when it was draining etc and no metal pieces found just dark brown ATF (thank god). Thanks for confirming that its 2years or 40,000kms for changing interval Nimz. You are a star!

Thanks Hola. Actually both of us should thank Supra_Natural for giving me the owners manual. Earlier he had a Honda ES8 after selling it he gave me the manual. Hey machan i wanna ask you a little question. In honda EG8 do we have to change the timing belt evey 60000km? :unsure: I have a EG8 twin carb. the person who told me about it has got a EG8 VTEC. Bit confused machan now my car has done 150000km so dont wanna take a chance.

Thanks Hola. Actually both of us should thank Supra_Natural for giving me the owners manual. Earlier he had a Honda ES8 after selling it he gave me the manual. Hey machan i wanna ask you a little question. In honda EG8 do we have to change the timing belt evey 60000km? :unsure: I have a EG8 twin carb. the person who told me about it has got a EG8 VTEC. Bit confused machan now my car has done 150000km so dont wanna take a chance.

Hey Bro,

Never play around with the timing belt man, its the heart of the car in a way. It may cost you 12,000 for the whole thing including the bearings but no issue. There are some expenses which we should consider in the long term. Like yesterday i heard a noise near the power steering pump and the belt near it so i asked them "how much to remove and repair" they said 350/=. That was fair so i told them to remove and see where the noise is coming from. And even the CVT oil was 1500 per can so i told them to just change it otherwise in the long term if something goes wrong it will be a huge expense, and specialy on CVT it will be huge curse.

When it comes to timing belt, a hiace would say 100,000 and mine was told 60,000. Even the place i worked before had 2 accords and they had changed in 60,000kms. Why take a chance bro. Change it.

#####

Edited by MADZ

Hey Bro,

Never play around with the timing belt man, its the heart of the car in a way. It may cost you 12,000 for the whole thing including the bearings but no issue. There are some expenses which we should consider in the long term. Like yesterday i heard a noise near the power steering pump and the belt near it so i asked them "how much to remove and repair" they said 350/=. That was fair so i told them to remove and see where the noise is coming from. And even the CVT oil was 1500 per can so i told them to just change it otherwise in the long term if something goes wrong it will be a huge expense, and specialy on CVT it will be huge curse.

When it comes to timing belt, a hiace would say 100,000 and mine was told 60,000. Even the place i worked before had 2 accords and they had changed in 60,000kms. Why take a chance bro. Change it.

#####

Thanks a lot bro. You saved my life. Last night i checked the service record of my car what you are saying is totally right. Becasue the second owner had changed the timing belt at 67000 km and the third owner has changed it just after 116000 km. The agents have carried out the job and have all the receipts and stuff. :)

Anyway thanks a lot bro.

since we're under the topic of cvt i was just wondering whats the difference between tiptronic and cvt? My XG has a tiptronic gearbox engineered by porsche and its a blast to use. Is cvt relatively the same?

Go to the following link bro. Read the article and then you'll understand how CVT s work.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt1.htm

Go the following link to findout a list of new cars equiped with CVT gear boxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_...le_transmission

Edited by Nim

Thanks a lot bro. You saved my life. Last night i checked the service record of my car what you are saying is totally right. Becasue the second owner had changed the timing belt at 67000 km and the third owner has changed it just after 116000 km. The agents have carried out the job and have all the receipts and stuff. :)

Anyway thanks a lot bro.

Anyway its always better if you can do it 2000kms or 5000kms earlier than the interval. You never know

CVT oild change interval is 40 K in my car manual also. But I'm not so sure that the manufacturers has had enough research to make a CVT oil to match tropical conditions. Earliar Honda used an oil called ATF-Z1 for CVT gearboxes but it gave slip or vibration in tropical conditions. Now they use CVT oil manufactured by Nippon-Japan I guess. So better to be in safe side, my rule is to change it in every 20-25 k interval, it's good for the belt in long run.

I don't have much of a idea in Honda CVT. but in Nissan N-CVTs , you'll have to change it every 20,000kms (or every 12 months). And for the Hyper CVTs it's every 60,000kms (or 36 months).

Check this out for some tips....

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...ic=3350&hl=

machang a good friend of mine got a 19-xxxx nissan march with CVT gear box, and i will rush in your advice ASAP! Thanks!

CVT oild change interval is 40 K in my car manual also. But I'm not so sure that the manufacturers has had enough research to make a CVT oil to match tropical conditions. Earliar Honda used an oil called ATF-Z1 for CVT gearboxes but it gave slip or vibration in tropical conditions. Now they use CVT oil manufactured by Nippon-Japan I guess. So better to be in safe side, my rule is to change it in every 20-25 k interval, it's good for the belt in long run.

yes, you are right. Today's 6000 for oil maybe tommorow's 60,000 on a gear box. Or maybe more than that...