• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery Water !!!!

Terabite

Question

well my problem is of a bit of a funny one. 3 days ago i did a check up on the battery & toped up the water... yesterday evening, i found that my Voltage meter was twitching.... so i check the battery.. the battery water had almost gone below the MIN level.... how can this be... there are no Crack on the outer shell, also the knobs on the battery are on place.....

PLEASE HELP...

this may be a long shot but here goes...

i'm having a electrical issue with my XR250...battery dying abnormally when running...

in my research on foreign forums etc. i found out that if the battery overcharges it heats up and evaporate all the liquids inside it... Normally if your regulator is busted this can happen...

You can check it when the car is running...get a voltmeter and measure the voltage between the two battery terminals...it should be little over 12v...on my bike the manual says 14v...anything over will over charge the battery...

But you have to first make sure that there are no external leaks or cap issues etc etc

good luck and keep us posted. These "funny" problems suck and very difficult to spot and to make it worse ends up being a simple thing gone wrong somewhere :)

well my problem is of a bit of a funny one. 3 days ago i did a check up on the battery & toped up the water... yesterday evening, i found that my Voltage meter was twitching.... so i check the battery.. the battery water had almost gone below the MIN level.... how can this be... there are no Crack on the outer shell, also the knobs on the battery are on place.....

PLEASE HELP...

How old is the battery in question ? It could be that it 'vented' - if there's something wrong with the acid composition or if it over-charges (i.e- problem in alternator/diode/cut-out) the acid may bubble out. But you would see signs of it..... salt deposits on the top of the battery, signs of acid vapour in the engine bay around the battery.

Usually the weather in Sri Lanka around this time of year is not too good for batteries.... especially if they're over two years old.

Best thing would to get the battery checked by professionals and if it's OK, then you need to check your cars charging circuit.

PLEASE HELP...

First please top up to correct level.

Next, go for a good drive, come back and with engine still on look at the battery. If it is leaking due to overcharging you will hear fizzing sound, water will be low, and some will have splashed out from top of battery, also battery will be hot to touch.

(be very careful touching battery, dont touch any of the fluid as it is sulphuric acid - you know that but I thought I should mention anyway!)

Also (as Ripper here said) you can attach a voltage meter, ask someone to look at it, and rev your car gently to about 3000 rpm if the meter goes up abnormally (say to 16 - 17 volts) then maybe the alternator/power system has minor issues.

Note that if this is the case good to fix as all the appliances on your car will be getting too much voltage (radio, lights).

One easy way to notice this is if you are blowing bulbs too often! Have you replaced any of your bulbs during last few days? e.g. signal, brake lights etc??

Edited by Saturn

thanx for the input guys,

well first of all the battery is less than a year old. so i guess that rules out some of the questions.

as for everything else, i took the car to my usual techo near the Zoo. His findings were that the battery was not getting charged properly...his Volt meter showed 10-12V ( same as my Volt meter) he says that the alternator is the culprit. will check that out tommorow. as for the battery, will try to salvage..

will keep you all posted.

thanks

as far as i know... that voltage is not enough to charge a battery properly... you'd need around 14volts...

if you have access to a manual...you can check the resistance of the alternator and cross check with the figure on the manual...

I think even if your regulator is faulty...you can get similar results...

people tend to think bad regulators only gives you higher voltages but i have experience in it happening the other way around too...

good luck :D

thanx for the input guys,

well first of all the battery is less than a year old. so i guess that rules out some of the questions.

as for everything else, i took the car to my usual techo near the Zoo. His findings were that the battery was not getting charged properly...his Volt meter showed 10-12V ( same as my Volt meter) he says that the alternator is the culprit. will check that out tommorow. as for the battery, will try to salvage..

will keep you all posted.

thanks

Madz,

I think you can contribute alot on this

Regds,

Hola

Well Hola, so far I haven’t got any battery problem with my car…but I know a well known chap who’s in this forum….he somehow managed to fix his newly purchased car battery the other way round and ended up burning the main fuse :))) who could that be? Ok I’ll leave that for you guys to guess :)

Anyway that story dose not related to this thread (OT) !!\

Well Hola, so far I haven’t got any battery problem with my car…but I know a well known chap who’s in this forum….he somehow managed to fix his newly purchased car battery the other way round and ended up burning the main fuse :))) who could that be? Ok I’ll leave that for you guys to guess :)

Battery water levels is a must and also if one doesnt know how to do it right its always better to get an expert ;) And by the way whats the usual life time of a battery guys?

Holy god !!! how on earth one can make that mistake :o ....Madz we seriously need basics classes ;)

Battery water levels is a must and also if one doesnt know how to do it right its always better to get an expert ;) And by the way whats the usual life time of a battery guys?

If you maintain the battery well it would last for more than 2 years. The battery in my honda is more than 2 years old and still its functioning perfectly. :)

PLEASE HELP...

This could happen due to two reasons machan. one is due to high temparature of the engine and the other is due to an electrical problem in you car. First check the engine temp and check whether the engine is working at a higher temparature than usual. If thats not the case then this should be due to an electrical problem in your car. Take the car to a battery dealership and ask them to check it. They have a special gadget for that. If there is a problem with the electrical system that thing would detect it. and it gives a digital readout which is more accurate than the old gauges that most of our machanics use. Hope you'd be able to solve the problem soon. :)

If you maintain the battery well it would last for more than 2 years. The battery in my honda is more than 2 years old and still its functioning perfectly. :)

Did u check out the indian made amaron battery?got freaking 48 month warranty

Did u check out the indian made amaron battery?got freaking 48 month warranty

Hi machan, those are the maintenance free ones right? When i bought the battery last time i asked the dealer about it but he was not very happy to install one in my car. He said that it doesn't suit srilankan conditions(climate) and they had some problems with some of those batteries. May be they are worried about the long warranty period. Machan do you know someone who is using amoron batteries? Are they really good? BEcause since it's maintenance free it'll be a big relief if it turns out to be a good battery.

Nim, coincidence but i just saw the front door neighbour had bought himself a TATA mini lorry(no number plates even) and there is an Amaron fixed in it...Does this mean TATA comes with an Amaron from the factory itself?

PS:This is the 2nd TATA the neighbour got in.

Nim, coincidence but i just saw the front door neighbour had bought himself a TATA mini lorry(no number plates even) and there is an Amaron fixed in it...Does this mean TATA comes with an Amaron from the factory itself?

PS:This is the 2nd TATA the neighbour got in.

hmmm good question bro. If this is the case that means TATA trust amoron batteries so that they use them in their brand new vehicles. This is some indication that they are good but there could be other issues too. for example they may have an agreement with amoron that they supply the batteries at the lowest price. So again the question arise whether a vehicle amnufacturer would do such a thing without assesing the quality. And the other thing is if that battery is used an india without any problems, i think it should be in here as well.

I am sure that atleast one person in Auto Lanka should have tried that battery so guys what are your ideas about it? help please....

hmmm good question bro. If this is the case that means TATA trust amoron batteries so that they use them in their brand new vehicles. This is some indication that they are good but there could be other issues too. for example they may have an agreement with amoron that they supply the batteries at the lowest price. So again the question arise whether a vehicle amnufacturer would do such a thing without assesing the quality. And the other thing is if that battery is used an india without any problems, i think it should be in here as well.

I am sure that atleast one person in Auto Lanka should have tried that battery so guys what are your ideas about it? help please....

you are correct in that argument machang. if it fits for India it fits for us. I know you are intrested in switching into one of them but if the price is double might as well use the normal ones we got in shops.

This neighbour had a Tata Indica too, got to have a sunday morning chat with him

This could happen due to two reasons machan. one is due to high temparature of the engine and the other is due to an electrical problem in you car. First check the engine temp and check whether the engine is working at a higher temparature than usual. If thats not the case then this should be due to an electrical problem in your car. Take the car to a battery dealership and ask them to check it. They have a special gadget for that. If there is a problem with the electrical system that thing would detect it. and it gives a digital readout which is more accurate than the old gauges that most of our machanics use. Hope you'd be able to solve the problem soon. :)

:blink: Sorry Dude.. I'm a bit confused as to how engine temp can reduce/effect battery water levels???

you are correct in that argument machang. if it fits for India it fits for us. I know you are intrested in switching into one of them but if the price is double might as well use the normal ones we got in shops.

This neighbour had a Tata Indica too, got to have a sunday morning chat with him

defa if it's double the price i would never buy. yea it gives a 48 month warranty but the important thing is how many 1000 rupee notes we have to spend buying it. A normal battery(EXI*E) ,if i am not mistake, would cost about 8000 or a bit more but if the amoron is priced around 15000 that means it would make a very large whole in the wallet. Since my wallet is not that deep :D ill go for the normal one. .

If the prices are that high i suggest anyone to go for a normal battery and spend the money that they save on car maintenance or upgrading.

Hmm Indian batteries are fine for our conditions IMO.. Been using Exide -sealed and non sealed batteries for ages and never had an issue... The thing is on the 'no maintenance batteries' poorly maintained electrical systems usually reduce their lifespan> besides even sealed ones need to be checked once in away

:blink: Sorry Dude.. I'm a bit confused as to how engine temp can reduce/effect battery water levels???

Yea machan once this was a problem to me as well. So years back i went to see a car exhibition at BMICH and got the chance to speak with the agents for one particular brand of battery. Acoording to what he said if the battery is mounted so close to the engine and if the heat of the engine is higher than normal it can evaporate the water in the battery.

Yea machan once this was a problem to me as well. So years back i went to see a car exhibition at BMICH and got the chance to speak with the agents for one particular brand of battery. Acoording to what he said if the battery is mounted so close to the engine and if the heat of the engine is higher than normal it can evaporate the water in the battery.

Sorry Dude.. thats hog-wash.. whoever who said that was very ignorant.. If you're engine is producing enough heat to evaporate battery water- it would first over heat then the radiator will give up and you wont even be able to run the car.

Anyway unless its some van or truck, your battery will normally sit pretty close to the engine. (in most cars I guess)

Nimz,

Just met the man. It has come factory fited and he says the Indica had a normal battery in it. So i guess the mini diesel lorry which sells at 635/= brand new comes with factory fitted Amaron.

PS:Reshufel and do some mods to the word Amaron?-you can spell Moron

Nimz,

Just met the man. It has come factory fited and he says the Indica had a normal battery in it. So i guess the mini diesel lorry which sells at 635/= brand new comes with factory fitted Amaron.

PS:Reshufel and do some mods to the word Amaron?-you can spell Moron

you would defineatly be saying that word when you hear the price tag :lol: . well we might be able to use him as the source to find out how good this brand is. keep in touch with him.. ;) . lets see how long he is able to use it.. thanks for the info bro.

Sorry Dude.. thats hog-wash.. whoever who said that was very ignorant.. If you're engine is producing enough heat to evaporate battery water- it would first over heat then the radiator will give up and you wont even be able to run the car.

Anyway unless its some van or truck, your battery will normally sit pretty close to the engine. (in most cars I guess)

Thanks pilawoos :) upto now i even thought that what he said was right.

well well seems to be like this thread is getting very hot!!!!!

well any way, i got my problem fixed.... it was the alternator.. the Coil Pack had busted. Thank god for Recon Parts. any way i asked my techo to get the old one recoild & am going to keep it as back up. Honda Parts are bit expensive & Rare to find.... well thats what i was told..

as for the Amaron Battery, this should be the best for our conditions , i would say India has much hotter conditions....

Edited by Terabite