• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Building A House In Sri Lanka

Mani

Hello to all,

First of all let me introduce my self. My name is Mani Jayasinghe and I live in the Unites States and an avid car nut. I have been racing both cars and motorcycles for over 25 years now. I've been reading this forum for a qhiet a while [beginning with the old message board] but don't post much.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a house in Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, I'm attempting to do it while I'm abroad so I'm not able to supervise much of the construction. My brother is in the country and he will most likely be the person who will be supervising this project.

I mentioned all of that because I'm in need of a good contractor who can take this project from inception through turn key. I will need him to obtain all needed permits, prepare the land for construction [there are bunch of coconut trees that need to be cut down to make room for the building ground], and begin construction. The house is not big by Sri Lankan standards [~4,000 sq/ft].

Do any of you know of a trust worthy good contractor who has good reputation and references that you can recommend me?

I left Sri Lanka while I was very young so I'm not too familiar with where everything is in the island.

Thanks for your time

MJ

Hello to all,

First of all let me introduce my self. My name is Mani Jayasinghe and I live in the Unites States and an avid car nut. I have been racing both cars and motorcycles for over 25 years now. I've been reading this forum for a qhiet a while [beginning with the old message board] but don't post much.

Mani Jayasinghe? never heard of you....

man, I dont think there's any Sri Lankan car guy who doesn't know you. Nice to see the modesty tho. I personally envy you and hate that I cant get some toys like your's.

I wish you all the best with the house. I have lived in the US for about a decade and have tried to do the same back home. I have heard many horror stories and I am not planning on heading home anytime soon (sadly) so the building project is on hold for me. I was told that the big-name builders charge a lot but use inferior material and poorly skilled labor. Then again, smaller contractors aren't perfect either. the key is haing someone keeping a constant watch on things [counting cement bags :) ]

Machan its vertually impossible to build a house without someone to supervise the work in SL. And any contractor is SL will go to town in terms of ripping you off. Things i believe are so tough in SL now they try all sorts to make an easy buck. inferior materials, over estimation on material, etc. Specially if they know if the client is in the US?? U know what i mean?? Know of one good contractor ( Well known one at that - not to me), will let you know soon. cheers

i agree with Overdrive

the house i'm renting is built for a lady in UK...the work is still going on the upper floor and i have witnessed the way these contractors build when they know the owners are not there...

the wood they use are pretty bad quality...just dyed and varnished over...the roof wood materials are sometimes used ones :(

make sure you have somebody you can trust to oversee the process cos even the cleanest contractor guy might get tempted to rip you off... And sometimes it's not the contractor but the supervisors who works under him that rips you off...

good luck with your project :)

Machan its vertually impossible to build a house without someone to supervise the work in SL. And any contractor is SL will go to town in terms of ripping you off. Things i believe are so tough in SL now they try all sorts to make an easy buck. inferior materials, over estimation on material, etc. Specially if they know if the client is in the US?? U know what i mean?? Know of one good contractor ( Well known one at that - not to me), will let you know soon. cheers

Hello to all,

I'm in the beginning stages of building a house in Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, I'm attempting to do it while I'm abroad so I'm not able to supervise much of the construction. My brother is in the country and he will most likely be the person who will be supervising this project.

I mentioned all of that because I'm in need of a good contractor who can take this project from inception through turn key. I will need him to obtain all needed permits, prepare the land for construction [there are bunch of coconut trees that need to be cut down to make room for the building ground], and begin construction. The house is not big by Sri Lankan standards [~4,000 sq/ft].

Do any of you know of a trust worthy good contractor who has good reputation and references that you can recommend me?

I left Sri Lanka while I was very young so I'm not too familiar with where everything is in the island.

Thanks for your time

MJ

Bro, in sri lanka now you get lot of luxury and medium scale housing schemes with houses ranging from 4milion to 50milion. So why not buy one off and save the hassel? Those are well engineered and with all facilities including gym,swiming pools,medi care centers etc etc

Thanks for the info guys. Everyone that I talked to about this project gave me the same warning as you guys have. I think my best option is to get my bro involved and have him take a more of a hands on approch.

KaluZ, I'll shoot you a message to get some details.

Thanks agin.

MJ.

Hi all,

WOW...Looks like there are lot of SriLankans In LA,

Im in Irvine 50 miles down south of LA....but there arn't any Srilankans in this area ...

good to hear from all of you...

cheers,

Nipuna