• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Buy A Used Car In Sri Lanka

Saturn

• 3 weeks later...

We need current market price index for most common vehicles at least update once a week. Many people got in to trouble without knowing actual market price for the vehicle they going to buy. If some one can update this weekly I would like to provide space and resources for this. Guys we can discuss this in detail how to implement such index.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is some real hard work brother.. my salute for you,,

and one imp thing if u go for diesel vehicle is a proper compression assessment, not by the old way of looking for oil flashn after removing the oil rod which is totally useless, but wt da accelaration , engine reving and genuine expert mechanic..

kp up da good work

Hey man,

Great job. we could create our own blogger forum with this sort of information on it. Another thing you have to look at is if it is a diesel engine, how well is the pickup. My family used to have one before we got a petrol, and the pickup, you'd almost stall climbing a hill. I never would go for a diesel because diesel in SL is very polluted and need extreme engine maintenance. keep this up and we all can add our ideas to this. Good job mate!

To add to Saturn’s list

Check the Certificate of Registration, is the seller the registered owner if not you want know how many people have used the vehicle, personally I want touch anything not with the registered owner.

Best is to buy from the first owner, as he had paid the hefty price most probably the guy would have looked after his precious possession.

Check for proper maintenance records, if it is serviced by the agent they will have records in the system.

While having a chat with the owner find out why he is selling the vehicle, upgrade, company car. (you might not get the truth).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Members,

Never sell a vehicle on open papers I had a problem on a vehicle sold in 2010 August to an unknown party yesterday.

The vehicle had hit another vehicle and gone off without stopping at the point of accident. I was informed by the walikada police to produce the driver.

I wasted ½ day about 4 hours giving my statement and all relevant papers connected to the sale of the vehicle until police verify my side is clear to them.

Until they verified my side of the story is correct. Police wanted my presence in the station. As the damage to other vehicle is more than 50000.00 rupees.

I normally get two sets signed by the buyer transfer papers and date mine send my copy to the RMV by registered post and preserve all documents with contact numbers.

RMV confirmed to Police they have got my form but they did not do anything until the new owner produce his form.

This vehicle had changed hands three times with my transfer papers without transferring. All who had done the deals were used car dealers’ fortunately police were able to get hold of the present user by telephone and informed him to produce the driver in Walkada police station which he promised. He was from Bathtaramulla.

After verifying all above they got all photo stat copies of original sold owner by me and I had to give statement regarding the entire episode.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would like to add some points for checking the body of the vehicle.

You can tap on the body lightly from back of knuckles of your finger like knocking on a door at some possible places where it could damage by accidents. If the body spot you knock gives original metal sound it means no damage done or has done good repair on the place.

If it gives bold sound like knocking on a wooden plank, it means place is painted by filling too much putty without leveling or replacing the damage.

• Like 1

I would like to add some points for checking the body of the vehicle.

You can tap on the body lightly from back of knuckles of your finger like knocking on a door at some possible places where it could damage by accidents. If the body spot you knock gives original metal sound it means no damage done or has done good repair on the place.

If it gives bold sound like knocking on a wooden plank, it means place is painted by filling too much putty without leveling or replacing the damage.

Welcome to the forum, but you must make note...

what if the accident was so bad that they replaced the doors? :P

The worlds changed, and its not like 20 years ago when every body damage was hammered back into shape.. Now its a lot cheaper to replace such body panels...

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

I goy lot of knowledge by go through the AL thread, and now I select car for buy.

I want to know the document require for buying car from seller,

Pls let me know what are the things i need to collect from seller and what are the thing i need to submit government institute.

My vehicle is in WP but I lived in Kandy?

Is it cause to problem when registering.

pls give kind reply and looking forward for early reply

thank you

regards

Amila

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, but you must make note...

what if the accident was so bad that they replaced the doors? :P

The worlds changed, and its not like 20 years ago when every body damage was hammered back into shape.. Now its a lot cheaper to replace such body panels...

Yes I agree. The whole body part can replace but damages to chasis or body frame invisible.

• 3 months later...

Dear friends ,

I am planing to buy used car my budget is 10-11 laks .so please help me to find which one better

it should be fuel efficiency and comfortable

thanaks

This thread is more about what to look out for when buying a used car in Sri Lanka. If you search the forum you should find some useful tips, and there was a thread on car buying advice for vehicles under 1 million though I can't find it. Feel free to post a new thread if you don't find the answers you need.

Edited by The Don

• MADZ featured this topic