• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti Vs Japanese Cars

Hey Guys !!!

Does anyone of you know anything about Maruti Esteem vs Japanese car in term of performance & pricing etc.. I personally haven't had a chance to drive maruti esteem but some one told me it's worth for your money. Really appreciate your thoughts !!!!

Thanks

Hey Guys !!!

Does anyone of you know anything about Maruti Esteem vs Japanese car in term of performance & pricing etc.. I personally haven't had a chance to drive maruti esteem but some one told me it's worth for your money. Really appreciate your thoughts !!!!

Thanks

Prasanna, The Maruti Esteem was outdated before the day it was launched. If you can find a well maintained Japanese built car for the same price there is no comparison. The Japanese car will be streets ahead in terms of refinement and quality.

Prasanna, The Maruti Esteem was outdated before the day it was launched. If you can find a well maintained Japanese built car for the same price there is no comparison. The Japanese car will be streets ahead in terms of refinement and quality.

Well said and I really got you..but what I thought is that I can only get a japanese car for the same price (1.9mil) but the year of manufacturing will be around 1999 - 2001. in summary your personal idea is that 2000 or 2001 Japanese car is always better than 2007 Maruti Esteem..correct !!!

Pros: Most likely you will find a relatively new car with low miles for the price. Lot of Esteems with private owners. Reliable car, Pretty quick car. Should be interesting if one appears on the local drag scene.

Cons: Not the greatest drive (The Japs are a lot smoother, comfortable and better built). As it is cheap to buy one, its quite hard to get rid of unlike the 800 or the Alto.

Just saw the 2007 model part only later - You can get a lot of 'jap car' for 1.9 mil

Edited by milindu

Purely logical thinking may lead you to the Maruti.

Practically speaking 2000-2001 is not a long time ago for a Japanese car. The point GTAm makes is further enforced if you look at the condition of a 2000-2001 manufactured Indian car!!!

Anyway at the end of the day it's about you being happy about owning / driving the car. If you don't feel an aversion deep in your gut, then you should be okay with the Maruti!

Edited by yisaam

Purely logical thinking may lead you to the Maruti.

Practically speaking 2000-2001 is not a long time ago for a Japanese car. The point GTAm makes is further enforced if you look at the condition of a 2000-2001 manufactured Indian car!!!

Anyway at the end of the day it's about you being happy about owning / driving the car. If you don't feel an aversion deep in your gut, then you should be okay with the Maruti!

You are right !!!! it's all been happy..but at the same time I don't want my happines to go away within couple of years time after buying a car that may not live upto my expectations. I probaby look for a japanese car because not only you guys but that is what my friends told me. Thanks you guys for all your ideas and inputs and that really helps me.

Regards

Edited by Prasanna1971

Pros: ............ Pretty quick car. Should be interesting if one appears on the local drag scene.

I certainly would discorage this irresponsible adventure. That Suzuki swift on which the Esteem is based on was an 80's design. And even by 80's standards this Swift was one of the worst cars in terms of crash safety. Couple that with the Indian "papadam" build quality and poor materials at that time, and you're asking for instant death on a high speed crash.

It may seem quick to you as its so light with no impact bars and heavy bulk head in the crumple zones which while offering safety for occupants add to weight and therefore cost.

Furthermore neither the Swift nor the Esteem is the last word in passive safety. Very far in fact. Those cars were engineered down to a price rather than upto a standard. Road holding is disarsterous. (one of my female friend's bought one brand new and I have driven it around).

Since those days of course Maruti is now completely owned by Suzuki and so the quality has gone up by leaps. Further the new Swift is one of the best cars in it's class. But way back then it was another world. So pls don't risk your neck on this appliance on wheels.

A Japanese car ten years older will do a much better job in everyway.

Prasanna, as many people here are pointing out, the Maruti esteem is built on ancient technology. It's a nice car if you were buying a car 20 years ago. Japanese cars have gone through 20 years of evolution beyond what this vehicle was.

And the modern japanese cars have more safety, better comfort, better fuel economy, etc., not to mention that all important resale value.

I'd say use the money to buy a new Esteem (million something?) to buy yourself an AE110, Mitsubishi lancer, Suzuki swift/liana, or even a Nissan, that would be a better buy.

Edit: with 1.9 million, you have no need to buy an Indian vehicle, you can definitely get a decent japanese car with a bit of hunting.

I would suggest you consider an AE110, this money should definitely get you a good one (see autolanka classified or newspapers). Also you may consider a Suzuki liana or swift (if that's the car type you want) but I'm not certain if the money would get you that.

You might also be able to get a more exotic car, for example a Carina GT, or even a glanza (there was a lovely one advertised on Autolanka for well under 2mn)

Here are 3 cars you can consider

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=2557 (Carina GT)

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=2544 (2000 Civic)

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=2545 (Glanza!!!!!!!!!)

Looking at those three I think the most bang for buck would be the Glanza, but incase you are searching for a 4 door sedan either the Carina GT or Honda would be cool:

Actually of those two the Civic looks like good value for money as it's year 2000

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=2551

Here's another car you could consider (Imprezza)

Edited by Saturn

I’m very sorry for stealing this thread but while we are in the topic of Indian vehicles what do you guys think of Tata Safari.

it had some funky gizmos like TV in headrest but i found the 2L engine to be massively underpowered.

Hey Guys !!!

Thanks

HI Prassanna……

Sorry I really don’t want to sound CRUDE….. but I believe that this is the best way to put it….

Your friend or the some one does not know jack of what he’s talking…… PLS stay clear form the Bucket of SHIT – I had the unfortunate experience of driving a Maruti….so can kind of relate ……

Better got for a TRAD Sunny … or any other Japanese car ….. that’s truly worth the money….

All the best….

I’m very sorry for stealing this thread but while we are in the topic of Indian vehicles what do you guys think of Tata Safari.

it had some funky gizmos like TV in headrest but i found the 2L engine to be massively underpowered.

IMO it's a bit underpowered and it's Indian, BUT.. it IS a TATA and they are probably India's best manufacturer.

Rather than buying this why don't you consider a slightly used land cruiser? You'd definitely have better resale value?

Very briefly TATA Safari is not my kind of Vehicle and for sure not yours too.Absolutely underpowered and the ride is nothing but a horse-ride.My office is allocated with one and the troubles list is miles long. :(

IMO it's a bit underpowered and it's Indian, BUT.. it IS a TATA and they are probably India's best manufacturer.

Rather than buying this why don't you consider a slightly used land cruiser? You'd definitely have better resale value?

na I’m not planning to buy one. Since we were in the topic of Indian cars thought of bringing this up. If my memory is right when it first came out in 2003 it was only 4mil brand new and not to forget it was diesel. How much is a reg/unreg one these days???