• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Repairs + Modifications

Croozer

HI guys,

I am a newbie here & recently bought a 1987 Mitsubishi Colt.

Can some of you experienced ppl advice me on some solid contacts / places to do the following jobs?

- Some work on dash board (stuff like speedometer, temp meter)

- Beading & sealing

- Few interior mods

Appreciate output B)

Cheers

Edited by EVO_Croozer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dude

welcome to AL and congrats on your first set of wheels.

first one always feels great just like all the other 'firsts" :P

beadings and stuff you can get done in darley road...

interior mods??? does this mean door panels, cushioning etc. or ricey stuff like funny shift knobs, colorful break pedals etc? You don't find too many ricers here though but decent mod advice is freely available.

i'm not an expert on the topic so hopefully the experts will chime in soon.

On Gauges...i guess delkanda area is the best or at least have the best concentration of it.

good luck with your project

O&O

HI guys,

I am a newbie to the forum & find it quite useful & interesting. Well i recently bought a 14Sri Mitsubishi (Colt Hatchback 1300CC of course not posh one <_< ) indeed which is my first car. The engine condition is pretty good & i need your expert advice as i have to gradually (as & when i get little money B) ) get the rest done. Can some of you guys advice me on some reliable contacts or places (& of course reasonable pricing) who can do me a good job on the following areas: (the mechanical side of course i have found a reliable hard working dood)

1. Tinkering & painting

2. The dash board stuff like the speedometer, temperature meter (none are working at the moment)

2. Door rubber beedings / sealing etc

3. Interior modifications

4. Basic modiications like a spoiler, beat bar, etc

As I am not an expert on the scene appreciate ANY of your expert comments & advice. In case if you guys can't post any names of places on the forum if possible pls drop me a mail at '[email protected]'

Thanking you guys in advance,

rgds

Shaz

hey mate welcome to AL.... be warned, it can get addictive :D

Incidentally, your screen name is almost the same as one of A/L' most famous members, as a tad confused for a second there.

to clarify your questions,

*a shift knob is indeed a gearknob

*a gauge is what is reffered to here as a Meter

*to define a ricer, i will quote from urban dictionary (please note: NO OFFENSE INTENDED!!!)

1. ricer

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder

- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747

- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool

- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself

- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire

- Clear tail lights and corner signals

- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)

- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.

Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

:lol:

I think Pala Auto Electrical s is a good place to get electrical problems fixed, and you actually might be able to get the full speedo cluster from Delkanda if you look hard enough, but most probably its the sensors which are malfunctioning and not the meter itself and they are not that expensive to replace,

Wasantha down base line road is the dude I can recommend for mechanical repairs, but please note he is not all powerful and does make a mistake once in a while (note a previous post in which he misdiagnosed a members vehicle), but he is a nice helpful chap who you can trust with your vehicle and fairly efficient as well.

If you search through the posts you would find other similar good mechs recommended by other members

Darley road is a good place to find rubber beadings etc but please try to avoid the trouts who just mess things up and not do a proper job. Try to call and make an appointment with a place and then go directly there. The yellow pages would have a listing of companies there and the only one I remember is Gunaratne's, but they mainly deal with door locks and winder mechanisms if I remember correctly,

Also samarasinghe auto windscreens is also a good place though I am not 100% sure if they carry the full beading range, but they give a warranty for their work, and I have found them to be quite good,

The Don

Supra...

great stuff bro :D

MivecTurbo... O&O was to say over-& out... I go as Ripper here :D

our friend Supra has answered many of your questions...hopefully others will also do so.

Best thing is to go out and check these places out. You learn quite a lot from these "excursions" :)

AL is a great place to start. $hit load of info here and some great guys who know their cars :D:alc:

Supra...

great stuff bro :D

MivecTurbo... O&O was to say over-& out... I go as Ripper here :D

our friend Supra has answered many of your questions...hopefully others will also do so.

Best thing is to go out and check these places out. You learn quite a lot from these "excursions" :)

AL is a great place to start. $hit load of info here and some great guys who know their cars :D:alc:

hehe :D

Thanks mate..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer

check that out for more gems!!

Cheers

Ooops I din't know that there wuz a senior member by the screen name of mine :( Nways I attempted to change my screen name as its unethical, but can sumone pls tell me how to change. I tried 'profile settings' under 'My Controls' but there's no option to change the screen name.

U'll need to mail Madz with the name you want.

HI guys,

I am a newbie to the forum & find it quite useful & interesting. Well i recently bought a 14Sri Mitsubishi (Colt Hatchback 1300CC of course not posh one <_< ) indeed which is my first car. The engine condition is pretty good & i need your expert advice as i have to gradually (as & when i get little money B) ) get the rest done. Can some of you guys advice me on some reliable contacts or places (& of course reasonable pricing) who can do me a good job on the following areas: (the mechanical side of course i have found a reliable hard working dood)

1. Tinkering & painting

2. The dash board stuff like the speedometer, temperature meter (none are working at the moment)

2. Door rubber beedings / sealing etc

3. Interior modifications

4. Basic modiications like a spoiler, beat bar, etc

As I am not an expert on the scene appreciate ANY of your expert comments & advice. In case if you guys can't post any names of places on the forum if possible pls drop me a mail at '[email protected]'

Thanking you guys in advance,

rgds

Shaz

Hi Shaz, Welcome to AL and congrats and good luck on your new wheels!!!

With regards to the speedometer i can help you with a recent experience i had. I got a Civic EK3 and the speedometer and the milege sudenly stoped working. Went to an expert who sells vehicles over here in Negombo and he had a good look at it but gave up. Went to several guys and they simply told me to replace it with a recon which is 8000 and Honda agents said i need to replace the whole panel for 38k. So what i did was that i slowly took out the speedometer panel out, took the gauge out and went to a watch repair man. Told him to strip the meter and dust the tiny wheels whilst oiling little by little. Now why i went to one of them is because they are known for their patience and talent to mingle around tiny parts. And so we did it. I have to mention that i had to take the speedometer motor out and solder it once agin. And then with lot of hopes i fixed it back again. And ladies and gentleman it worked!!! Took around 4hours machang. For just 800 bucks, he actulay asked 500 and for the joy i gave out another 300 more later when i went to say thank you to him later in the day. So thats my story on the speedometer. Bro, if you need help just mail me on please and i will help you too ;)

Hi Shaz, Welcome to AL and congrats and good luck on your new wheels!!!

With regards to the speedometer i can help you with a recent experience i had. I got a Civic EK3 and the speedometer and the milege sudenly stoped working. Went to an expert who sells vehicles over here in Negombo and he had a good look at it but gave up. Went to several guys and they simply told me to replace it with a recon which is 8000 and Honda agents said i need to replace the whole panel for 38k. So what i did was that i slowly took out the speedometer panel out, took the gauge out and went to a watch repair man. Told him to strip the meter and dust the tiny wheels whilst oiling little by little. Now why i went to one of them is because they are known for their patience and talent to mingle around tiny parts. And so we did it. I have to mention that i had to take the speedometer motor out and solder it once agin. And then with lot of hopes i fixed it back again. And ladies and gentleman it worked!!! Took around 4hours machang. For just 800 bucks, he actulay asked 500 and for the joy i gave out another 300 more later when i went to say thank you to him later in the day. So thats my story on the speedometer. Bro, if you need help just mail me on please and i will help you too ;)

Hola, Its a 14Sri car.. i doubt it if they have 'sensors'.. :D probably a broken speedometer cable, and a few disconected wires (fuel gagues etc) etc..

first gotta find out WHY its not working before trying to fix it... else you wont know WHAT to fix

Hola, Its a 14Sri car.. i doubt it if they have 'sensors'.. :D probably a broken speedometer cable, and a few disconected wires (fuel gagues etc) etc..

first gotta find out WHY its not working before trying to fix it... else you wont know WHAT to fix

mine wasnt a sensor issue this time bro, it was just a dust built up on the wheels of the ODI meter (mine is not digital)

Hola, Its a 14Sri car.. i doubt it if they have 'sensors'.. :D

There will be a temperature sensor for the engine temperature meter. I can give u one advice on this pertcular meter MIVEC, cause i had da same problem on my Laser.

Now this temperature meter works on a verry simple way, that is, it just produces different resistance levels according to the temperature input to the sensor. This is not a so called advance electronic sensor, but a really simple one. (It looks like a smal metal tube about 3 inches long and 1/2cm in diameter). U will be able to find it pugged in to the engine block or one of the radiator water lines. What u can do is remove the wire from the sonsor and try to groud/earth it to the car body. At the same time keep the ignition on and have a look at the temperature meter. If the meter goes up that means the fault is with the sonsor itself so replacing it will get the meter working fine..

I`m also having a burned out temp sensor but I still coudnt find one which matches the exact specs of the old sensor..(Ford Laser KB series) :( ..

God luck with ya car bro.. Hope my small advice will do ya good B)

Edited by MrCat

Hey Hola,

Its great man, tks a zillion for the valuable piece o' advice.

Sounds like i might have to take it first to an experienced guy to exactly diagnose the issue.

But your part of the experience is brilliant man, which someday will be useful, I am sure.

Dilesh, tks loads for your contribution & concern too.

Cheers

Shaz

Can u pls let me know to whats the email address to be used in order to change the 'screen name' ?

Btw what does Madz means ? :unsure:

tks

Shaz

MADZ aka Madhawa is the owner/Admin/Big Boss of this website machan... you need to mail him to change your screen name... the address is [email protected]

Hey MrCat,

Of course ur's wuz great info for me man. Shall try to identify the sensor & check it your way.

Tks to all o' U guys @ AL, I am learning many things B)

Tks man.

Hey Supra,

Shall drop a mail to Madhawa to change my screen name, Tks dude.

Cheers

Shaz

Always a plaesure to help bro

cheers

There will be a temperature sensor for the engine temperature meter. I can give u one advice on this pertcular meter MIVEC, cause i had da same problem on my Laser.

Now this temperature meter works on a verry simple way, that is, it just produces different resistance levels according to the temperature input to the sensor. This is not a so called advance electronic sensor, but a really simple one. (It looks like a smal metal tube about 3 inches long and 1/2cm in diameter). U will be able to find it pugged in to the engine block or one of the radiator water lines. What u can do is remove the wire from the sonsor and try to groud/earth it to the car body. At the same time keep the ignition on and have a look at the temperature meter. If the meter goes up that means the fault is with the sonsor itself so replacing it will get the meter working fine..

I`m also having a burned out temp sensor but I still coudnt find one which matches the exact specs of the old sensor..(Ford Laser KB series) :( ..

God luck with ya car bro.. Hope my small advice will do ya good B)

I had a similar problem with maybe an older version familia a 1987 BF3V and we found a matching sensor from a place in Kohuwala. I guess you must have already exhausted the usual Mazda Ford spare part joints like Asiri and Rainbow in panchikawatte ?

I had a similar problem with maybe an older version familia a 1987 BF3V and we found a matching sensor from a place in Kohuwala. I guess you must have already exhausted the usual Mazda Ford spare part joints like Asiri and Rainbow in panchikawatte ?

Yes Don, I did check with Asiri, Rainbow and also a couple of other places.. And ur model is a newer one than mine coz mine`s a 1985 KB series.. The thing is that the existing sensor has a reading saying "10 up" (not sure what that really means, but I assume it has somthing to do with the cut off temperature) and i was trying to find an exact match for this, but cudnt`.. :( So at the moment i have the radiator fan constantly running with direct power.. :(

Thanks for ur concern Don, I know that ppl who Race for the Laser/ 323 event must be really fermiliar with the KB series Laser but unfortunately i was unable to contact any of them for help regarding these small small issues..

I guess we are not really goin out of thead here.. :ninja: Anyways owning a car from the same era I hope MIVEC also will grab somthin outa this talk..

Can u pls let me know to whats the email address to be used in order to change the 'screen name' ?

tks

Shaz

MADZ aka Madhawa is the owner/Admin/Big Boss of this website machan... you need to mail him to change your screen name... the address is [email protected]

Whoops, sorry man.

Thanks for the assist, Supra :D;)

hey mate welcome to AL.... be warned, it can get addictive :D

Incidentally, your screen name is almost the same as one of A/L' most famous members, as a tad confused for a second there.

to clarify your questions,

*a shift knob is indeed a gearknob

*a gauge is what is reffered to here as a Meter

*to define a ricer, i will quote from urban dictionary (please note: NO OFFENSE INTENDED!!!)

1. ricer

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder

- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747

- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool

- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself

- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire

- Clear tail lights and corner signals

- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)

- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.

Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

:lol:

Well said Supra..!

I often wondered why most cars out there have useless modifications.. you cleared all doubts.

Hey Hola,

Its great man, tks a zillion for the valuable piece o' advice.

Sounds like i might have to take it first to an experienced guy to exactly diagnose the issue.

But your part of the experience is brilliant man, which someday will be useful, I am sure.

Dilesh, tks loads for your contribution & concern too.

Cheers

Shaz

tks

Shaz

no probs bro, always glad to help. Just remove the panel and bring it over and i will help to the fullest

Guys,

I have sum mo various queries in different areas on my car.

Do you guys think I should start a new thread or can I continue with this same thread.

Awaiting your comments guys,

Cheers

Shaz

Continue by all means mate... no need to start another thread yet..