• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Repairs + Modifications

Croozer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Nice photos

your vehicle looks pretty good

I would say no need to get anyone to 'tinker' it seriously.

just find a good painter who can do a little touch up tinkering also

you should be able to get a paint done including paint for under 40K I hope

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Can you tell me, roughly how many km/l does your vehicle do?

by the way, have you tried advancing the timing?

Edited by Saturn

Saturn what is advancing the timing ? Pls let me know :unsure:

Tks lots

Don't know for sure what saturn meant but as far as i know...

This normally refers to either ignition timing, cam timing or injector timing.

sadly these are little complicated stuff for somebody who's new to engines :)

Cam timing/valve timing is where the ECU adjusts the valve timing to accommodate best power delivery at both high and low engine speeds. Your car doesn't have it so not to worry :) But you can read up on WWW just for the kicks

Injector timing- not to worry since yours is a carb model right? :)

Ignition timing

two types to my knowledge... the older system with distributors and the newer ones with CDI types and ECU's

ignition timing very simply put... at lower rpm's there's little fuel and enough time for it to properly burn since the piston movement speed is slower...as you open the throttle more fuel is introduced to the chamber and this take requires more time to completely burn... mind you with open throttle the pistons are now moving much faster so the spark has to come sooner than when the engine was operating slower...or in other words the ignition has to be advanced... Simply you can't have the same ignition timing at both low and high rpm's... it needs to advance and retard... yes it's called timing retard :)

This is a simpler explanation cos i don't want to bore you to death with info overload...

ECU's have mapped ignition curves that can be customized to suit your requirements... They basically control most of the timing stuff...

Chances are that you have a distributor system...

these are mechanical and have a centrifugal system to operate... Some also have what's called a vacuum advance...

Don't want to go into details but these are not meant to be adjusted...to my knowledge that is :)

If you got a ECU system... you're in luck :)

maybe saturn can add more to this :)

cheers

R

Edited by Ripper

Actually Evo Cruzer, be thankful if you do not have electronic fuel injection on your considering how old it is, because as efficient as the whole system is as it gets older it also means a lot more repairs,

For example to service a electronic fuel injection systems it costs more than if you have a carburettor

Mitsubishi ECU's have this issue of capacitors where a lot of them fail prematurely, etc

Idle throttle controllers in Mitsubishi's and all vehicles which uses Mitsubishi parts are known to fail,

Not to mention all the sensors that come in to play which will need to get replaced anyway periodically,

In short long term the older non electronic systems are eaier to maintain and run and gives you less head aches and this is especially true in older cars, I think your car is a carburettor based system using an old distributor type ignition, and to be honest these engines are very reliable, have good pick up and should not give you too much trouble,

Could you tell us according to the people you have seen, what bits need tinkering, if I may take a wild guess

underneath the windscreen?

Door bottoms ?

mud guards ?

May I also suggest if there is significant corotion on the doors it might actually be cheaper to replace the door frames as they last much longer than a tinkering job, and you should be able to buy the door frames minus the glass. I remember on our old Mazda we made the mistake of tinkering the doors and we still ended up replacing the door frames 2 years later and cursed ourselves for not doing it at the onset. Delkanda should have parts for your mitsubishi so just go check it out to see if its affordable when you have some time.

Regards,

The Don

Yes getting something done by that man is very difficult cos he is highly in demand, My dad is an old customer but it took him 6 odd months just to get an appointment to get some small painting job done ( he had a very small accident and the paint needed touching up)

But go to a guy who will give your job priority and do it quickly cos cars get exposed to the elements in garrages, if you go to a garrage and see lots of vehicles waiting to be repaired for heavens sake do not give your car to that dude, cos it will idle there for months, unless he has multiple dudes working on multiple cars

if your doors are ok no need to look for the frames, I guess it must be just the floor board in a couple of places and the windscreen frame,

There is another dude down base line road that I take my car to, but I have not had any tinkering work done at his garrage and he himself do not do it but i have seen that there are others there working who do, so if you are going down that area maybe its worthwhile popping down to have a chat,

Just after the railway crossing on baseline road, if he asks who referred you say the dude who owns the black mirage, dunno if that will pop his memory, and see what he says, might not be very helpful and do inspect the work being done on the other vehicles to acertain the quality of work as i have no idea !

Machang,

I have posted some pics of the areas that needs tinkering.

Hope u chkd 'em out. (may be few pages behind the thread)

Just FYI.

Cheers :violent-smiley-030:

hey mate.... just saw the pics of your car, had exams so i was off the forums for a while.... it looks pretty good i must say....

about the corrosion repairs, take a look at this link....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2212...mp;id=506251059

its an album of my car, which is being TOTALLY restored, my guy is pretty decent, i'll point you to him if you like... you can get an estimate then.... show it to a cpl of places and see...

Cheers

S_N

Hey Supra,

Of course ur beetle is totally restored ah.. Interesting stock of pics man.

Hey ur team is supposed to be down Mt Lavinia ah... Can I pls have the contact so that I can drop in & get an overview. Actually Mount will be pretty convenient for me too, BTW how are their fee n all ?? :violent-smiley-030: What about ur painting, did it at the same joint ?

Off line B) (I hope Madz won't be Mad ;) ) machang sounds like ur into CIM ? machang where did u follow up lectures & what stage are u in ? Actually I completed two stages (under old syllabus) few years back & beautifully crashed the finals :jumping-smiley-013: & since then dragging off relaxing & finally decided to start my finals this june ;) Haven't touched any books for a looong time & beleive my brains are in working condition B). I was at Synergy since their inception, but just lemme know the present best places for marketing.

Machang pls gimme the contacts of ur tinkering guy....

Tks loads

Cheers :violent-smiley-030:

lotta questions to answer on a post mate.... tell you what, i'll drop you a mail either today or tomorrow with All the info you need, bit stuck at work right now...

cheers

BTW Can anyone lemme know any reliable (& of course reasonable) places where I can get radiator repairs

try Radiator House - its in Maradana near some cinema hall (i forget the name... :unsure: )

there should be a listing in the Yellow Pages - their work is decent n reasonable price wise

try Radiator House - its in Maradana near some cinema hall (i forget the name... :unsure: )

there should be a listing in the Yellow Pages - their work is decent n reasonable price wise

There is a place near Cotta Road railway crossing. I heard he also good for radiator works.

An old fellow do the works

Hey Supra,

Machang I drop'd in @ ur place (Lionel) last Saturday & he told me that u came the previous day & told him that I might come that way, tks dude. BTW he sounds a very experienced guy (had been in business since 1965 :action-smiley-060: ) & had a good inspection on my wheels.

Hey saw ur VW man, its pretty cool ah B) . I am impressed about his work & he quoted 75K for complete tinkering + painting (but he'll be using local paint it seems) Compared with my previous visits I've decided to get the the job done from him. Once I get the funds organized I shall hand him over the vehicle.

:jumping-smiley-013: Tks bro for the contact.

Cheers

Anytime dude.... Cheers

:unsure:

Oh.. I was just refering to the ignition timing. You have a distributor model I think.. if so you can advance the timing a tiny bit and gain a bit more power/efficiency.

Still since you are getting over 10km a liter you probably don't need to bother..

So at the moment i have the radiator fan constantly running with direct power..

MrCat even on mine, i guess the radiator fan is connected to direct power as the sensor is gone.Cuz when i ON the switch a fan begins to work before i start the engine.

BTW is it harmful to the engine in this mode? (at least until a correct sensor is found)??

Cheers guys

Shaz

constantly 'on" radiator fan is not harmful to the engine but it is harmful to the alternator and the battery coz at the moment when you start the car, the battery will be sucked by both the starter motor and the radiator fan.. radiator fan feeds on a heavy load of current and the starter motor feeds on even a lot more power so some cells of your battery "may" get permanently damaged.... dont get panic... just check your battery if you can.. (that is the same reason why old ppl say "turn all your lights off before starting the engine")

Archon