• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Repairs + Modifications

Croozer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Preveen,

Sorry bro :huh: I am new to the scene yah.. dats why ;)

U guys are brilliant, my knowledge on these things are jacking up big time B)

TKS ALL YE PPL OUT THERE !

Preveen, I need to change my screen name as I came to know that its already used by a very famous dude :unsure: I've already sent a mail to Madz about a week back. Anyways of helping me out with it.. ?

Cheers :violent-smiley-030:

Hi MIVECTurbo, nice to see that you are enjoying AL forums ...:) Regarding display name change can you pls email it again to [email protected]

Cheers!

Hey Preveen,

Sorry bro :huh: I am new to the scene yah.. dats why ;)

U guys are brilliant, my knowledge on these things are jacking up big time B)

TKS ALL YE PPL OUT THERE !

Preveen, I need to change my screen name as I came to know that its already used by a very famous dude :unsure: I've already sent a mail to Madz about a week back. Anyways of helping me out with it.. ?

Hey bro Dnt do all the crazy modifications to ur car, then ppl will call u Rice boy ( S_N Posted whats is Rice ) and if u want to modyfy ur car do these things

* Install a Muffler form Elcardo or Tokimo

* Do a Simple Body Kit

* If the Paint is faded do a full pain job

* Change Alloys to 14 or 15 Inch ( better to go for 195/50/15 )

* Install a Cd player and 2 speakers ( Click Advance Audio link in AL Main Page )

* If the car is EXi install a cone Air Filer

* Install a sport steering wheel / Shift nob and do the inteior

dude... if you're replacing the air filter into a "performance" air filter...get the carb also tuned at the same time...

If you get a lot of air and not enough fuel into the cylinders...it'll create what's called a "lean burn"...

whitish sparkplug residue is a good way to spot it... Ideally the fuel/air mixture shouldn't be too rich or too lean..

Lean burns generate more heat and are not too kind on your engine...especially the valves...

Too rich will be bad on fuel economy and will foul your plugs over time...

Like Saturn said...a golden tanned plug is indicating a proper burn...

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spar...aq/faqread2.asp

* If the car is EXi install a cone Air Filer

Did u automatically think the boy has a Civic just coz he wanted some stickers? :D

Actually mivec, ur asking a lotta questions but we don't know what ur car is yet. If the pics are getting delayed, at least tell us what it is.

Did u automatically think the boy has a Civic just coz he wanted some stickers? :D

Actually mivec, ur asking a lotta questions but we don't know what ur car is yet. If the pics are getting delayed, at least tell us what it is.

Actually, i think you'll find he already has....

"HI guys,

I am a newbie to the forum & find it quite useful & interesting. Well i recently bought a 14Sri Mitsubishi (Colt Hatchback 1300CC of course not posh one ) indeed which is my first car"

in his first post..

unfortunately, im not sure how to insert direct quotes here... :unsure:

Be very careful with the tinkering, as nearly every tinkering bod i have encountered up to now has done more harm than good to my cars !

So the last time I needed some tinkering i kept the metal work to a bare minimum using fiber to brush up small rust spots instead,

also my car developed a lot of problems after it was left at the tinkerers for a couple of months, actually my previous car has the same issue, and it cost me a lot to get those resolved !! so be aware, be careful with who you employ for that purpose

there was another thread on painting as well which u might be interested in

could you tell me whats the current body state of the car ? some pics might help, I own a Mitsubishi too so maybe I can give you some pointers as to what to do about certain things

Hey Supra,

Tks bro.

Yeah machang I wuz on track with that 'muffler' thread since its beginning, but to be frank its too technical & advanced for me machang ;):unsure: I'm newbie to the scene ya B)

Well even Hola wntd to see sum pics bro, so shall post 'em very soon.

Basically i need the tires to be extruded outwards a bit, U knw justto get the sporty look B)

Tks & Cheers man :violent-smiley-030:

yes machang, like to see before repairs+mods and after repairs+mods pics

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm

you can get a good idea about K&N filters from this link...

"clones" are copied versions of the original K&N filter that's available under other brand names for a cheaper price...

Oil changes depend on age of vehicle and it's mech condition... quality of oil used... Driving conditions etc.

Most decent oil brands give info on general oil change intervals... I'd just change it couple of thousand km's ahead of this figure to be safe...

on the hot topic of exhausts...

Free flowing pipes get rid of the exhaust gas a little faster than a stock pipe. And this reduces back pressure giving the engine a bit more power on the top end... meaning at higher rpm's

But on lower rpm's torque will be less because of reduced back pressure...

Though it's out of topic...this is very clear to spot on 2 stroke engines where back pressure has to be controlled into perfection to achieve max performance... You run a 2 stroke bike without the expansion chamber and the pipe it'l rocket down on top end but torque will be gone for good...

to make a long story short... lotsa free flow- less back pressure-more fuel-more top speed- less torque

I don't believe free flowing pipes are really bad for engines as long as you have your jetting right.

Free flowing pipes will lean out your fuel mixture in the cylinders and this will cause the engine to run hot...and that has problems attached with it...

If you can adjust your carby to compensate for the lean condition... as far as i know.... engine should be alright...

But you gotta remember...car makers have lotsa R&D behind their machines so stock is the best bet for your engine's health... But no one lives forever... calculated risks are fine if benefits are good :)

Hi Saturn,

Ur list of info was very useful bro,tks.

- I got the clear picture on the windscreen & silver tint part.

- I beta drop off the beat bar idea cuz based on forum advices I feel its beta to continue with what I hv cuz anyway I am not into racing n all B) But pls lemme knw by using a beat bar only for the sound purpose, is it harmful to the engine?

- Yes, I do have alloys in my car & based on ur reviews Of course I WILL stick to what I have now ;)

- Approx how much will be a K&N air filter & where can I get one (what i have is the standard paper one) & what do u mean by a 'clone' one ?

- Engine oil - how often should I change oil ?

- yes mine is a carb model.

- I hv checked out @ Doug**s & Sons for the correct plug for my car & will be replacing soon cuz what I run now is a set of Denso plugs removed from a Vitara ;)

- "a freeflow exhaust can help by which i mean an exhaust with little/no resistence will reduce " can u pls explain this :unsure: Does it mean smooth acceleration ????

- I usually make sure to keep the car out of heavy unwanted stuff :) All I have is the spare wheel & few tools.

Saturn, I can feel these tiny silly questions may really annoy U :( But pls bear with me all u dudes out there @ AL.

Cheers

Hey Don,

Great comment bro.

Will definitely throw sum pics soon machang.

Shall bug u when i get the pics posted :violent-smiley-030:

Tks man,

Cheers

Actually, i think you'll find he already has....

"HI guys,

I am a newbie to the forum & find it quite useful & interesting. Well i recently bought a 14Sri Mitsubishi (Colt Hatchback 1300CC of course not posh one ) indeed which is my first car"

in his first post..

unfortunately, im not sure how to insert direct quotes here... :unsure:

:D Dunno how I missed that.

Not bad, I like Colts. Should be interesting.

:D Dunno how I missed that.

me 2 :D

bt i have seen that type hes saying n its a gud looking car once i helped a guy to modify that model, and i think body kit will make the car Ricy so dnt do a body kit on that car and trust me 14 rims with noraml profile tyres are the best for ur car anyway hw much is it cost u ?

Guys with ur expertise on the field, what will be the normal market price of such a car (with AC, alloys & P/Steering) I just wanna make sure whether I have overpaid ??? But dont worry I shall mention the price i bought sooooon ;)

Tks guys

Cheers

2.50 to 3.50 depend on the body condition

Edited by GihanFX

Hi Saturn,

Ur list of info was very useful bro,tks.

- I got the clear picture on the windscreen & silver tint part.

- I beta drop off the beat bar idea cuz based on forum advices I feel its beta to continue with what I hv cuz anyway I am not into racing n all B) But pls lemme knw by using a beat bar only for the sound purpose, is it harmful to the engine?

- Yes, I do have alloys in my car & based on ur reviews Of course I WILL stick to what I have now ;)

- Approx how much will be a K&N air filter & where can I get one (what i have is the standard paper one) & what do u mean by a 'clone' one ?

- Engine oil - how often should I change oil ?

- yes mine is a carb model.

- I hv checked out @ Doug**s & Sons for the correct plug for my car & will be replacing soon cuz what I run now is a set of Denso plugs removed from a Vitara ;)

- "a freeflow exhaust can help by which i mean an exhaust with little/no resistence will reduce " can u pls explain this :unsure: Does it mean smooth acceleration ????

- I usually make sure to keep the car out of heavy unwanted stuff :) All I have is the spare wheel & few tools.

Saturn, I can feel these tiny silly questions may really annoy U :( But pls bear with me all u dudes out there @ AL.

Hi

A K&N filter is pretty expensive (around 8,000 or so) but can be washed and reused. Clones or fakes should be cheaper. Infact, I'm searching for one so if you (or anyone here) knows where to get, please let me know..

How often should I change oil:

- Official answer - according to manufacturer specification, taking into account specific conditions, and age of engine.

So a typical manufacturer spec might be 3,000 miles

that's nearly 5,000 kms?

now take into account engine wear (age) AND the extreme driving conditions here and reduce that no accordingly.

My answer - AS SOON AS THE OIL GETS DIRTY/ as often as you can afford.

i.e. if you change oil today and have clear oil, drive till it turns dark or 5000 kms.

One note: Modern oil is designed to 'get dirty' i.e. thats the point, the oil is supposed to suck up all the dirt/soot etc, from the engine and all

Re: plugs, denso are quite OK. Basically check your plugs occationally, if they are fine (plug physically not damaged, tan color tip) you should be OK.

Your questions are not silly and there's no reason they should annoy me or anyone here. Remember all the experts here were once clueless (some still are but don't acknowledge that ;) )

Edited by Saturn

Hi

A K&N filter is pretty expensive (around 8,000 or so) but can be washed and reused. Clones or fakes should be cheaper. Infact, I'm searching for one so if you (or anyone here) knows where to get, please let me know..

How often should I change oil:

- Official answer - according to manufacturer specification, taking into account specific conditions, and age of engine.

So a typical manufacturer spec might be 3,000 miles

that's nearly 5,000 kms?

now take into account engine wear (age) AND the extreme driving conditions here and reduce that no accordingly.

My answer - AS SOON AS THE OIL GETS DIRTY/ as often as you can afford.

i.e. if you change oil today and have clear oil, drive till it turns dark or 5000 kms.

One note: Modern oil is designed to 'get dirty' i.e. thats the point, the oil is supposed to suck up all the dirt/soot etc, from the engine and all

Re: plugs, denso are quite OK. Basically check your plugs occationally, if they are fine (plug physically not damaged, tan color tip) you should be OK.

Your questions are not silly and there's no reason they should annoy me or anyone here. Remember all the experts here were once clueless (some still are but don't acknowledge that ;) )

Hi Evo Crrozer,

Further to my friend's above comments. Try to use an oil like Mobil or Castrol as engine oil. And also a K&N is a great swap if you can go for and rember it has to be a clean job and there are so many threads on it which you can enchance your knowledge

Guys I took my car to P*la last saturday & basically spent the full day at their workshop. Brilliant experience for me. Like Saturn & Don mentioned previously they simply did a great job.

Glad you had a good time there!

re: tinkering - don't worry those guys tend to quote a rather high price at first, it's negotiable :)

ps: did you get the brakes and all checked? Even if they work OK it's a good idea to get them to remove the wheels and give them a quick check up

Hi Saturn & Don,

Guys sorry couldn't check out AL yesterday as I was on leave <_<

Guys I took my car to P*la last saturday & basically spent the full day at their workshop. Brilliant experience for me. Like Saturn & Don mentioned previously they simply did a great job.

- They replaced a temperature sensor & along with proper wiring the temperature meter started working propoerly. Now the exhaust fan switches ON only when the engine reaches the required heat level.

- The speedometer is in perfect working condition but the prob was with a wheel that is attached at the end of the speedometer cable. (refer the attached pic) The owner of P*la was courteuos enough to send a guy looking for that wheel down Panchikawatta but failed after about a hunt of 4 hrs as it was saturday most of the joints had been closed. However the owner pomised me that he will hunt for it sumhow within this week so that I can get it fixed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

In addition to the above I got the following attended too:

- Replacement of dash board bulbs (the internal green colored ones) 3 bulbs were worn out.

- Replacement of a reverse bulb & wiring

- fixing of a new wire socket (below the steering wheel) as the existing one was damaged & as a result the headlight wasn't working (only the beam was operaional)

- Got a new battery connector fixed.

- Correct wiring in places required.

Guys a general comment about the workmanship...... they were effortlessly confident on the job they were doing. (I donno about the other technicians, but the guy who attended to my work was brilliant) The work is of very high class guys.

Offline I got an opportunity to have a con-chat with the owner & just built up a bit of PR which will be useful for me later on B) Apparently the present cashier at P*la was also known to me so just got a bit of familiar introduction. In fact I went there at 9 & left the workshop only at 5 in the evening B) but learnt huge lot of stuff cuz throughout I was spending my time with the technician.

Guys all above cost me only 5K but I am so satisfied about the job they did ;)

Just checked how much a complete tinkering job would cost me (for research purposes) they quoted 120K for full tinkering, painting & fixing both the buffers in fiber. Anyways I am on the look out for quotations with several garages as I might have to get the tinkering done as well :unsure:

Anyways guys tks so much for the contact :)

I will also be posting some pics of my car on the forum soon B) Just check out .........

TKS again

Hi Evo,

If you live in the Nugegoda area, there is somebody you could visit and get a quote on the tinkering and painting. The painting work is top class, but he doesnt use 2K paint (which is what the car comes with out of the factory more durable, but not very flexible when you spray on when the car is not in an enclosed temperature controlled environment, he says when dust settles on it while the paint is still dry difficult to polish off cos 2K paint is quite hardy so he uses the usual 1K) but his painting work is quite good,

the tinkering, well the probi is he has a guy who he contracts to do the tinkering so this changes, but the last time I got some work done it was ok,

the big hitch is sometimes the work tends to take a while, and this by itself is quite counter productive, as cars when left idle start to develop other problems !!!

(I had to replace the ECU on my current Mitsubishi because something happened while the car was dormant and the battery removed for 2 months odd, that when the battery was connected back in the ECU was not the same, the engine idle was all over the place, cost me a LOT of money to get fixed, but your car doesn't have an ECU so the same will not happen to you, in our previous car, a rat somehow managed to get into the fuel tank and die !!!! and when the car was brought home after tinkering it was missing etc, and it just stalled as I was driving away, had to send it back for the whole fuel system to be cleaned out !!! big mess that was, so you can understand the word tinkering is NOT something I like at all, makes me quite worried he he but is a necessary evil, as I said things are more likely to go wrong with newer cars with complex electronics (especially when people without knowledge dismantle stuff) rather than slightly older cars like yours which is a GOOD thing.)

His name is Chooti or thats what we call him, if you know where Gansaba Junction is, turn right at the junction if you are travelling on the high level road towards maharagama, and go along and its the garrage on the right after you pass the bridge, I think this road is called Attidiya Road though not exactly sure but it connects Gansaba junction with Sunetra Devi junction

cos even I think 120K is very high for your car, more like 80K is more reasonable, how much tinkering needs to be done man ? some pics ?

Regards,

The Don