• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Traffic Woes

Derrick

Yes our roads are in deplorable conditions, yes we have dirty cops, yes there are imbecils running the show at RDA, CMC, Traffic Police Service etc. Yet there is one factor that clearly stands out as the main culprit contributing to our traffic woes: drivers. For e.g. We are in rush hour traffic with vehicles moving at snail's pace inches from each other occupying all lanes and the guy behind you decides to flash his headlights urging you to go faster!!! He can see clearly that there are tons of vehicles in front, but oh no that doesn't count. Now what is the connection between this driver and the RDA or the CMC? Isn't his attitude that should be corrected? I can highlight many instances and driving practises we encounter daily on our roads that borders on stupidity to the most ludicrous but it is beyond me why we as drivers ignore this common-sense-approach to driving. I do intend to discuss simple driving issues that cause major traffic problems in future postings. My sole intention is to create an awareness programme atleast amongst us for the time being and will leave it upto the veterans of Autolanka to decide the future and the direction of these useful postings.

Edited by Derrick

Encouraging ethical driving practices? Very hard over here. The 3 wheelers, buses,lorrys are instructed to stay left but does that happen 100%? No right? So i dont know, its going to be a huge task

Encouraging ethical driving practices? Very hard over here. The 3 wheelers, buses,lorrys are instructed to stay left but does that happen 100%? No right? So i dont know, its going to be a huge task

Hola, if you dont have anything good to contribute stay out of the topic....you dont have to answer each and every post. Most of the AL members are car owners...not 3wheeler/buss/lorry drivers. When someone trying to start a worthy cause don’t discourage them.

Hola, if you dont have anything good to contribute stay out of the topic....you dont have to answer each and every post. Most of the AL members are car owners...not 3wheeler/buss/lorry drivers. When someone trying to start a worthy cause don’t discourage them.

B) nah i wasnt discouraging him Madz...I just said its a huge task. It will be a good deal if we can promot this. How about some simple RSS feeds over good driving practice and stuff on bottom of forum end page?

B) nah i wasnt discouraging him Madz...I just said its a huge task. It will be a good deal if we can promot this. How about some simple RSS feeds over good driving practice and stuff on bottom of forum end page?

hey good thread. I think its the mentality of the SL people. In the USA they stereotype Asian drivers as very bad. One of my friends visited from the US and thought he was going to die on the way from the airport to my house. No one is going to like this but u have to raise fines thats my solution.

I must agree with Madz. "You must be the change u wish to see in the world" (cant remember who said that, but words to live by). First, drive properly yourself. It always starts with yourself. Even one person can make the diference, by affecting someones day in a positive manner. Be an example to ppl who ride with u. Then teach those u ride with. Then they can start the cycle all over again.

I swear we had this kinda topic before, and I said the same kinda thing..... Deja vu...

Hi Derrick,

Attitude alone wont correct the traffic problem.. Though I agree that it would save the drivers alot of hassle as when someone starts pressurizing you via the horn or the headlight to move, it would just make the stay in the traffic more annoying..

There are two problems though, one, as you mentioned is this driver who always wanna go in a hurry and two, is the driver who hugs the road thinking he is the only person destined to run on it.. these two combined would worsen the traffic conditions..

There was this experiment which an individual performed at heavy traffic in the US.. this was a stop start traffic meaning that you would move as little as a meter per second.. he noticed that drivers who accelerate all of a sudden and try to creep into gaps contribute to this problem.. he kept the car at a constant speed rather than accelerating quickly and braking.. his actions had effect on everyone behind him and the traffic became more smooth and quicker.. indirectly meaning that you got to set an example for others behind you to follow..

There is a major difference when driving within the city and outstation.. just say you want to overtake a vehicle within colombo... you ll practically have to "coax" the fellow to move.. outstation its a different story as they would give you roam instantly (most of them) and the toot-of-the-horn-to-show-thanks is done more often then..

I would say that unless road conditions improve, it would really hard changing the attitude of drivers as it is in a way hard recorded into them :) lol..

Zz

Hi Hola

I have been an avid Autolanka fan almost since 2005 and decided to become a member after realising that it is a great website to meet great chaps. And it has the potential to keep evolving into a tremendous source of not only auto related stuff but a community that can contribute positively to the society. I agree that it is going to be a Herculean task given the mentality of 3-wheel/bus/lorry drivers who do not have even have basic education (most of them anyways) but on the other hand how about those executives/managers/doctors/lawyers/accountants and the like who should be civilised behind the wheel. That should be our target group for starters. I occasionally travel by 3-wheelers myself ever since the pundits introduced the new laws and parking restrictions. There are about 4 3-wheel guys that drive me around regularly and am somewhat proud to say that all of them use their signals, never drive on the wrong side of the road, never run a red light (actually stop when the amber comes on!!!!!!!!!!), and never ever try 007 stunts when I am with them because of months of drilling and "brain-washing" by me. Maybe they revert back to the reckless driving methods when I'm not around (or maybe not) but the point is never underestimate yourself and as Pericles said "Even one person can make the diference".

I think there are close to 6000 autolanka members and presumably a majority of them are in SriLanka. If atleast 2/3 make a genuine effort to realise how things can be changed for the better on our roads, it would be a start we are all looking for.

Edited by Derrick

Derrick,

We could always see if we can get together with NGOs like Lions etc for this task. Im sure they would love to partnership in a campaign

Forget the grandiose posturing. Start with yourself and those around you.

An ocean starts with one drop of water, a sky riser with one brick,

I think I aggree with Peri and Madz and Derrick in the sense that before we judge others we need to correct ourselves cos else we do not have the right to pass judgement on others,

The law is the law, it doesn't really matter if its right or wrong or even if its inpractical such as the speed limits in Sri Lanka which obviously need updating (40KMPH on baseline road for example) But till that is done its still up to each of us to obey whatever is there without questioning.

I unfortunately do not get to spend much time in SL thesedays but when I do I always obey traffic rules and I will be very honest its mostly for convenience not really out of respect for the law, because in my short stays its terribly inconvenient to loose my license because I get to spend so little time at home and do not want to spend it going to police stations.

Secondly 3 of my friends met with a fatal road accident in 2003 in which all but one in the car died (I am sure many know about this accident a pugueot 306), which was a shocking reminder to all of us who were left behind of our own mortal status, and how fragile life is.

Bust drivers, three wheeler drivers are all a nuisance, but lets be honest, I have seen many a well dressed educated people driving expensive cars, driving without any dicipline, over taking on the wrong side, running read lights etc.

We must do away with our blame culture and first try to do what we can ourselves

The Don

No one is going to like this but u have to raise fines thats my solution.

Right now, fines are relatively high (for most ordinary Sri Lankans) in the range of $10 upwards for most offenses.

The problem with the current system is not the amounts, but the fact that it doesnt apply to everyone.

For example:

1. Tuk tuk & bus drivers are exempt.

2. Fines only work when cops are around. When cops aren't around people break every law with impunity. Even with cops, it depends on the mood of the cop, the type of car, the person driving it (ethnicity, religion), who he is related to, etc. etc.

If you think the legal system treats people equally, ask yourself this: When was the last time you saw a bus driver or tuk tuk being stopped by cops?

How many times have you seen buses jumping red lights, with a cop standing right there who does nothing?

To 'fix' the situation here, I think we need the following:

1. A legal system (which is actually followed) where all are equal.

2. More people actually trying to follow the rules: Show of hands, how many of you actually follow the road rules?

For some reason, certain things are taken for granted in Sri Lanka, such as:

1. Tuk tuk's believe they can go anywhere. Right side of road, left side, any side.

2. Bus/truck drivers believe they can go at 100km/h when fully loaded, on wrong side of road.

3. Motor cyclists believe they can go between anything and everything.

4. Car drivers believe they can creep up on the left side/right side and swing into your lane. This unique form of overtaking is a Sri Lankan speciality.

How can a proper traffic system exist with such stuff going on?

@Hola: Dude, for some reason, whatever you say, certain people get pissed off at you. :(

Edited by Saturn

Yes our roads are in deplorable conditions, yes we have dirty cops, yes there are imbecils running the show at RDA, CMC, Traffic Police Service etc. Yet there is one factor that clearly stands out as the main culprit contributing to our traffic woes: drivers.

Probably one of the most insightful things anyone said here for a while. But fixing this would require a radical rethink of what is permitted or not permitted on our roads.

Drivers here have a number of bad or insane habits that are so deeply ingrained into their behavior that:

1. We would require a new rule system that covers insane stuff, such as (No overtaking from the wrong side of the road when there is oncoming traffic and you are driving a fuel tanker),

2. We would need to retrain every single driver on our roads, as to acceptable/unacceptable behavior.

Such a system could probably not be applied to the whole country initially (it would result in mayhem) but how about this:

Cops designate a small stretch of some popular road (e.g. Galle Road) as a 'road rules section' and ticket anyone and anything which breaks even the slightest rule.

They could have it such that all rules are followed in this section, even the more rare ones like keeping a distance from vehicle in front, etc.

They could have an instant fine system and this would earn valueable revenue. (say, about 10,000 every hour per KM of road) Of course if such a system were implemented Bus and Tuk tuk drivers would go on strike..

I wish someone could propose this to the govt as it would be a useful way to earn revenue AND help fix the mayhem on our roads.

Edited by Saturn

given all these issues on the road, there are some good changes that have happened as well...

in the past, the bus drives woudl pretty much sit on their horns. now that has cut down drastically.

people running red lights have cut down big time. even late night/early morning, people sit and wait till the light turns green

speeding has been curbed. the speeding is done cautiously and not openly as in the past.

so there are some changes that have happened. slowly things are coming around.