• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

:: Great Sri Lankan Drives ::

yisaam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vacationed at summerville and toured some of the other bungalows and tea factories in 03 and honeymooned again a few years later in another estate bungalow (dont remember the name). when I went back, tea trails were converting the old colonial bongalows into highend guest houses/b&bs. I think the going rate was 100-200$ but the prices have dropped since then. You can get the cabanas at Eagles's ridge? for much cheaper but not much in the way of amenities just a pool made from blocking a small waterfall. but amazing views.

I got to hangout with some cool guys at the planter's club (man those guys can consume) and was given a few highspeed rides on the curvey roads in the middle of the night (I wont recomend it with anyone other than someone who lives and drives there often).

I have to say that I got better service there than at any other 5star hotel. My wife and I were treated so well, I would recomend it for families and couples. Those Appu's can teach a thing or two to some hospitality managers in our hotels and so-called cheffs. Just make sure to treat them right, like fellow humans and leave a big tip (cos I dont think they get paid a lot).

I have been kinda selfish about this and havent told many ppl or posted pics cos I dont want it ruined like most other SL tourist destinations. I am glad they price it out of the range of cheap foreign tourists' budget cos thats what cheapens any destination.

If I offended anyone (ie cheapass european tourists) then I ment to :)

:D My dad used to be a tea planter. Ur right about them guys consumption. And amazingly most of them are able to drive back in one piece. My dad did it all the time. Fortuneatly for him, I started driving at the time he started loosing that ability :D Done the fast runs too, not exactly speed runs coz there aren't roads long and straight enough to build up speed and mostly diesel vehicles.

ps, I think thats Somerville.

Reminds me, my friends and I stayed at this superb place last year around christmas. Its a bit out side Peradeniya. Not the best driving road but a beautiful place to get out of Colombo and relax. Overnight destination, defa. I'd love to put out the contact info, but they do this on a commercial basis, so I'll check with Madz first. But u guys can check out the pics of the place.

http://thecamels.multiply.com/photos/album/15

PS, ignore the boys will be boys stuff ;)

Edited by Pericles

Well, came from Hikkaduwa, bad thing is going back again soon as the licence is in Hikka police after a 77KMPH speeding ticket. "Anei sir, im from negombo, have a heart, today match also ne" blah blah didnt work, "I KNOW THE LAW" points didnt work out (he didnt have the fellow policeman with him which means he cannot write a fine according to the law), then "how much do you want" didnt work....At the end another 230kms trip to hikka and 1200 fine.. Damn :-1

Good stuff Hassan .. tell me- which do you enjoy more- the ViRS or the Runx? at least on these drives

was definitely the viRS! much better handling, better drivin position and a lil more grunt with the manual box :)

but then i never used to go on drives round sl with the civic. the runx has taken me to places where i wouldnt have even dreamt of goin to with the civic! :D

its a different car, lots more body roll with the height and softer suspensions, comfy, fun to drive, but still not the civic! :)

I would like to add a few more DRIVE options.

1) Colombo to Avissawella- Great scenic drive

2) Dambulla to Kandy- Drove this last year and was a blast to drive.

Hmmm, going at 65kmph huh? Why does all hapen to me? :(

:D Going Faster means you need to be more attentive.

Thats means you will not be relaxing. ( This statement is only valid for our country because our Roads are not seperated like US or German highways ) Our Speed Limit is 70 and that also makes cops a Lot Richer :D

Driving Below the Speed Limit Saves Time ( The Time you spend on the Cop Shed ) / Money and Also is more Relaxing

Edited by Velocity

:D Going Faster means you need to be more attentive.

Thats means you will not be relaxing. ( This statement is only valid for our country because our Roads are not seperated like US or German highways ) Our Speed Limit is 70 and that also makes cops a Lot Richer :D

Idiots men. Now 1200 fine plus another 2000 odd for petrol plus time

I think its time I got a radar detector as well. Yesterday I got stopped for what must be my tenth offence in the past year, for doing 65 in a 50 zone. The limit of 50 was an absolute joke in the place I got nabbed, but I guess rules are rules.

By the way, the Nawalapitiya-Gampola road must surely rank amongst the best driving roads in the country. It has been recently resurfaced and is phenomenal, even though it is only a 14 km stretch.

I've done some serious up-country driving the past few days, having left CMB right after the World Cup final. The itinery was Colombo to Badulla to Nuwara Eliya to World's End to Nawalapitiya to Gampola to Colombo. 600 clicks of good fun, spoilt only by the speeding ticket.

Nice pics Velo! Pictures are nicer coz of the RX8 :D

@ Hola..stop worrying..buy a radar detector machan!

machang, can you get me one since you fly often. You know what get a dozen, lets talk to Madz , put up an ad in auto lanka and sell it.

I think its time I got a radar detector as well. Yesterday I got stopped for what must be my tenth offence in the past year, for doing 65 in a 50 zone. The limit of 50 was an absolute joke in the place I got nabbed, but I guess rules are rules.

By the way, the Nawalapitiya-Gampola road must surely rank amongst the best driving roads in the country. It has been recently resurfaced and is phenomenal, even though it is only a 14 km stretch.

I've done some serious up-country driving the past few days, having left CMB right after the World Cup final. The itinery was Colombo to Badulla to Nuwara Eliya to World's End to Nawalapitiya to Gampola to Colombo. 600 clicks of good fun, spoilt only by the speeding ticket.

yeah , i agree with ya. There is a seperate thread on radar detectors, lets go by it and get the best. Miniace should be able to help

machang, can you get me one since you fly often. You know what get a dozen, lets talk to Madz , put up an ad in auto lanka and sell it.

yeah , i agree with ya. There is a seperate thread on radar detectors, lets go by it and get the best. Miniace should be able to help

What was it u asked don on the other thread? "Trying to get a discount"? And trying to start a business on the forums too?! for Shame. Next time u get a bright idea like this, call Mini, get it down and THEN put the ad and start talkin on the forums. Until then, if this comes up again, don't whine and complain. U know the rules.

What was it u asked don on the other thread? "Trying to get a discount"? And trying to start a business on the forums too?! for Shame. Next time u get a bright idea like this, call Mini, get it down and THEN put the ad and start talkin on the forums. Until then, if this comes up again, don't whine and complain. U know the rules.

:rolleyes: Yup, and when we are done with the ad i will be looking for all of your suport to sell all off ;)

:rolleyes: Yup, and when we are done with the ad i will be looking for all of your suport to sell all off ;)

Hi. Posting for the first time. About Great roads. Helped plot the SLARDAR 1000 4x4 Rally 2007. It is amaizing what this country can offer. Especially within the cleared army controlled areas.

I would like to add a few more DRIVE options.

1) Colombo to Avissawella- Great scenic drive

Did this drive today nice, twisty and scenic- drove all the way to Kithulgala infact.. the road rocks after Avissawella with some lovely bends. But avoid traffic times, it turns the drive into a b*tch when you have to follow slower vehicles through the corners.

alfaq are those pics from hikka? i'm surprised you even remember going there :P jk twas definitely a worthy drive...

i can vouch for the drive to hatton though we didn't actually go that far today... and i wasn't driving but was driven in a 'high performance sedan' with NOS disguised as an 'A/C' button :D fuzzo and i are still dizzy :D

Edited by sharkster

Hi. Posting for the first time. About Great roads. Helped plot the SLARDAR 1000 4x4 Rally 2007. It is amaizing what this country can offer. Especially within the cleared army controlled areas.

So, just out of curiosity, where does the route go? How many water-crossings? Any hardcore 4x4 bits? Tell us more.

alfaq are those pics from hikka? i'm surprised you even remember going there :P jk twas definitely a worthy drive...

i can vouch for the drive to hatton though we didn't actually go that far today... and i wasn't driving but was driven in a 'high performance sedan' with NOS disguised as an 'A/C' button :D fuzzo and i are still dizzy :D

Thats a NAWZ equipped HPS, FYI :D