• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cleaning Faded Headlight Covers

sbnisan

Hi guys,

My car's headlight covers (Plastic) have faded very much. Now it has turned into a yellow colour. Does anybody know how to clean them and bring back to the nomal state. In the internet there are so many chemicalls for sale. has anyone used such chemicals before, Do they really work. Are they are available in Srilanka and any idea of the cost.

There are few places that do head light cleaning. Got mine done at Clean park. Costs around 1500bucks per light depending how bad they are. U can make an appointment, give the lights to clean and fix them later in the evening. Mine look almost brand new after the cleaning. Theres also another place near Anderson Road. This is at the hill street end. They are also pretty good i heard.

plastic lens cleaning is a little tricky. Since its a non-natural material (compared to glass), over time it naturally degrades/discolours.

If your budget allows it, go with vshiznet's advice and see what the results are.

Problem with Lense covers is that dis-colouring tends to take place from the inside of the headlight, making it near impossible to access by hand. So your choices are limited.

Not sure if its available in SL, but there's a 2 bottle kit which is used for cleaning the plastic rear windows in Convertibles. One bottle a cleaner, the other a polish. They worked equally well on other clear plastics. Check www.miata.net for the product name, etc.

There are few places that do head light cleaning. Got mine done at Clean park. Costs around 1500bucks per light depending how bad they are. U can make an appointment, give the lights to clean and fix them later in the evening. Mine look almost brand new after the cleaning. Theres also another place near Anderson Road. This is at the hill street end. They are also pretty good i heard.

i also have used the dehiwala place (hill street ) this guy is very good & he is not that expensive compared to kleen park

i also have used the dehiwala place (hill street ) this guy is very good & he is not that expensive compared to kleen park

Hi MRM..... any landmark that ypu can give on the hill street joint.... is it passing the police station when coming form Dehiwala Junc ?

One of my H.lights are old as the other was replaced after the car got knocked.... so it's looks down right silly now with one nice and shiny and the other quite dull :( I was told that you can clean the H.lighs and almost went to Clean Park- but they do cost a lot....

Cheers

the place i go to is in nedimala...just passing the old motorzone garage..(now debug automotive)...take the right fork. place is called sunil motors. speak to sunil and tell him farzan from wellawatte sent u

the place i go to is in nedimala...just passing the old motorzone garage..(now debug automotive)...take the right fork. place is called sunil motors. speak to sunil and tell him farzan from wellawatte sent u

& you'll be added with an extra 10% which goes as Farzans Commission. :P

• 4 years later...

i've got done mine through a guy located near by Piliyandala. Quality was really good and he doesn't charge much. Call this no and ask for yourself.

Hey Harshan,

Are you sure there is no problem with cleaning peugeot 406 headlights?? Heard that removing them will cause leaks??

My lights are fades and look yellowish. Also would cool blue light bulbs fit the headlight?

Thanks

• 6 years later...

I have restored my car's faded headlights by myself. 

All you need is a soapy water bottle which you can spray and couple of sandpapers from each having 600 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit (if you want you can go for 2000 grit)

You can refer the steps in below link. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Headlights

The advantage of this is, it actually works and cost you next to nothing. Only problem is you might need a half a day of time (including the resting time after doing this. :) ) 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2007 at 12:21 AM, sbnisan said:

Hi guys,

My car's headlight covers (Plastic) have faded very much. Now it has turned into a yellow colour. Does anybody know how to clean them and bring back to the nomal state. In the internet there are so many chemicalls for sale. has anyone used such chemicals before, Do they really work. Are they are available in Srilanka and any idea of the cost.

randunu head light clenig  nedimala  0772935555 0714255332