• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nisssan Tida

Nim

Guys what do you think about the new nissan sunny(TIDA). Well i think it's ugly and the hatch back is

even worse.Front end looks like it's been designed on the nisssan murano. Now they look like small french cars. may be because renault owns some percentage of nissan now. check out the rear end of the hatch, it looks like it's from a Peugeot. I think compaired to this the old sunny was much better.

The similarity to the renaults is because it is actually based on the previous generation Renault Clio platform. The clio is basically a car which can be compared with the Nissan March, so it's a little sad that the replacement for the Sunny is based on a smaller car.

Having actually seen one up close, I must say that it is exceptionally spacious for it's size though. Head and shoulder room is excellent. It uses the new nissan HR series engines (replacement for the QG) so hopefully they should have sorted out the inherent problems the QGs had with the ignition sensors.

Isuru I do not think you are correct in your assumptions above, there was a time when the Nissan Sunny was the best selling brand new car in Sri Lanka,

And I think possibly the best Sunny to hit the market in recent times is the old B12 Trad Sunny and I have never heard anything bad said about that particular model,

Sunny's maybe boring, but they do the job they were meant to do and do it pretty well, But admittedly The Corolla might be a better car in that particular segment of the market, but value for money I personally think the sunny is not a bad deal at all and never was, and considering the amount of Sunny's you see on the road I am unlikely to be completely off ...

I mean think about it a Corolla thesedays costs about 500K more than a comparable Nissan, and most owners would keep their vehicles for roughly about 5 years lets say, do you think Corolla owners would ever recover the extra 500K they invested in their vehicles ?

If the Sunny is boring, I do not think the Corolla is that much exciting either in the same way he he ;)

Actulay the sunny is no longer bought down, stocks are getting old and over in Singapore. Don you are right, when a Corola recon went at 2.9 a Sunny FB15 went at 1.9max. The FB15 is realy good in comforts but handling is not that good. The N16 is the same, one day when i drove it ona bumpy road i thought i will fly over, but the civic will have more stability on a road like that. But honestly at smooth road there is nothing to beat a comfort of a nissan sunny, the seats are comfy the ride is smooth

Yeah Hola, I think the Civic is probably a better all round car than the Sunny, but I personally think its worth the 1.9 million you pay for it, I mean what else can you get in that price range with what the Sunny offers, possibly the Mazda Familia but the newer models are a bit more expensive than the Sunny

and the Nissan Sunny has a long history and it has been a very successful brand for Nissan, I personally am very sad to hear they are discontinuing the brand,

But the fact is every car offers something to its users, In the segment that the Sunny is in you also have the Corolla, Lancer, Familia/323, and the Civic, out of these I think the Sunny is probably the best selling arguably in Sri Lanka, though it could be the Corolla but not by that big a margin,

So trying to put down the humble Sunny as a Corolla wannabe is just ridiculous, it has competed very well with the Corolla throughout the history, if the car was a commercial failure then maybe that statement might hold some ground, but I do not think the Sunny was ever a wannabe as such, and there has always been a market for the Sunny.

hey don i was referring to Tiida (the newest sunnys) not the good old sunny's... i honestly think the Tiida is too passive. i agree with you on the quality of tradsunny/doctor sunny... they truly were fantastic cars. but since then it has not been business as usual with sunny's... despite the price difference the new corolla is way ahead of Fb15/N16 in terms of reliability/comfort/fuel economy etc.

Actulay the sunny is no longer bought down, stocks are getting old and over in Singapore. Don you are right, when a Corola recon went at 2.9 a Sunny FB15 went at 1.9max. The FB15 is realy good in comforts but handling is not that good. The N16 is the same, one day when i drove it ona bumpy road i thought i will fly over, but the civic will have more stability on a road like that. But honestly at smooth road there is nothing to beat a comfort of a nissan sunny, the seats are comfy the ride is smooth

drove a 2004 N16 but the experience was not that good. the car was brand new and only had 47000 km on the clock but the engine sounded like a vacumm cleaner and wasn't very smooth either. and the fuel gauge wasn't accurate . How can tha fuel gauge go wrong in a brand new car? when i got the car it only had about half the tank then i pumped petrol worth 1000 and then the tank was full. :blink:

Its a comfortable car but the other thing with nissan sunny is that it's ok as a normal car but anyway even if the car is brand new you feel like you sort of had enough with after several months. Anyway to mention something good the N16 is much more better than tha new nissa TIDA. but cant call it nissan, can we?

Isuru I do not think you are correct in your assumptions above, there was a time when the Nissan Sunny was the best selling brand new car in Sri Lanka,

And I think possibly the best Sunny to hit the market in recent times is the old B12 Trad Sunny and I have never heard anything bad said about that particular model,

Sunny's maybe boring, but they do the job they were meant to do and do it pretty well, But admittedly The Corolla might be a better car in that particular segment of the market, but value for money I personally think the sunny is not a bad deal at all and never was, and considering the amount of Sunny's you see on the road I am unlikely to be completely off ...

I mean think about it a Corolla thesedays costs about 500K more than a comparable Nissan, and most owners would keep their vehicles for roughly about 5 years lets say, do you think Corolla owners would ever recover the extra 500K they invested in their vehicles ?

If the Sunny is boring, I do not think the Corolla is that much exciting either in the same way he he ;)

Took the new 121 Corolla for a quick trip down south last week (a run which I usually do in my Nissan Wingroad or Bluebird) Comfort level was nowhere near that of the nissans..... got back extremely tired and with plenty of body aches due to the uncomfortable seats....

Talking about the handling of the nissans, Wingroad was a bit spongy when I bought it 4 years back. It had 14" rims and narrow tyres. Upgraded these to 15" with 205/65 rubber and it worked wanders for the handling and stability of the car. I chose the rather high profile because I needed to increase the ride hight to stop the bodykit wearing itself out by rubbing on the road and the tyres solved that issue as well. On my third set of tyres now and I went for 195/65 profile this time (because I found there was a bit of rubbing in the wheel wells when cornering hard) and these work just as well.

Well dunno much about the Nissan Tida, but the Clio itself is not a bad car, though I have no idea how it has been badge re engineered in to the Tida and randiljosh I was referring to Isuru's comment not yours,

Obviously you cannot get the same thing for 1.9 million as you would get for 2.5 million, and I must say the gap seems to have widened a bit between the Sunny and the Corolla because in the old B210, B310, B11, B12 days there was nothing much between the 2 cars, but obviously the FB15 and the N16 are no where near the Corolla AE110 and the 121 but you still get value for money at least that what I feel,

I mean if you want more you have to pay more, but I do not think many would argue even the latest Sunny's are not worth what you pay for them.

Yeah Hola, I think the Civic is probably a better all round car than the Sunny, but I personally think its worth the 1.9 million you pay for it, I mean what else can you get in that price range with what the Sunny offers, possibly the Mazda Familia but the newer models are a bit more expensive than the Sunny

and the Nissan Sunny has a long history and it has been a very successful brand for Nissan, I personally am very sad to hear they are discontinuing the brand,

But the fact is every car offers something to its users, In the segment that the Sunny is in you also have the Corolla, Lancer, Familia/323, and the Civic, out of these I think the Sunny is probably the best selling arguably in Sri Lanka, though it could be the Corolla but not by that big a margin,

So trying to put down the humble Sunny as a Corolla wannabe is just ridiculous, it has competed very well with the Corolla throughout the history, if the car was a commercial failure then maybe that statement might hold some ground, but I do not think the Sunny was ever a wannabe as such, and there has always been a market for the Sunny.

Yes, i agree with you. As a former Sunny owner i think the car is value for money. Specialy the FB15. If you dont have 2.9 for a corolla or 2.6 for Civic or even cant afford 2.3 for a vios (i am talking year ago car prices) the best to go for is a sunny.Ample spares, cheap spares and once again - Great Comfort!!!

drove a 2004 N16 but the experience was not that good. the car was brand new and only had 47000 km on the clock but the engine sounded like a vacumm cleaner and wasn't very smooth either. and the fuel gauge wasn't accurate . How can tha fuel gauge go wrong in a brand new car? when i got the car it only had about half the tank then i pumped petrol worth 1000 and then the tank was full. :blink:

Its a comfortable car but the other thing with nissan sunny is that it's ok as a normal car but anyway even if the car is brand new you feel like you sort of had enough with after several months. Anyway to mention something good the N16 is much more better than tha new nissa TIDA. but cant call it nissan, can we?

Oh yes, forgot that, i am not pleased of fuel economy of the N16 at all. But in terms of the noise please go for a good tuneup plus see if the cleaner is clogged. Other than that its quiet, but i think sunys are chain driven right?

Took the new 121 Corolla for a quick trip down south last week (a run which I usually do in my Nissan Wingroad or Bluebird) Comfort level was nowhere near that of the nissans..... got back extremely tired and with plenty of body aches due to the uncomfortable seats....

Talking about the handling of the nissans, Wingroad was a bit spongy when I bought it 4 years back. It had 14" rims and narrow tyres. Upgraded these to 15" with 205/65 rubber and it worked wanders for the handling and stability of the car. I chose the rather high profile because I needed to increase the ride hight to stop the bodykit wearing itself out by rubbing on the road and the tyres solved that issue as well. On my third set of tyres now and I went for 195/65 profile this time (because I found there was a bit of rubbing in the wheel wells when cornering hard) and these work just as well.

Oh yes, the wing road. Drove one for nearly a year. And i hated wagons untill i saw the wing road and drove it. The car handles very well.

hey don i was referring to Tiida (the newest sunnys) not the good old sunny's... i honestly think the Tiida is too passive. i agree with you on the quality of tradsunny/doctor sunny... they truly were fantastic cars. but since then it has not been business as usual with sunny's... despite the price difference the new corolla is way ahead of Fb15/N16 in terms of reliability/comfort/fuel economy etc.

oops sorry that was me replying to Don using my bro's account... sorry!

Well dunno much about the Nissan Tida, but the Clio itself is not a bad car, though I have no idea how it has been badge re engineered in to the Tida and randiljosh I was referring to Isuru's comment not yours,

Obviously you cannot get the same thing for 1.9 million as you would get for 2.5 million, and I must say the gap seems to have widened a bit between the Sunny and the Corolla because in the old B210, B310, B11, B12 days there was nothing much between the 2 cars, but obviously the FB15 and the N16 are no where near the Corolla AE110 and the 121 but you still get value for money at least that what I feel,

I mean if you want more you have to pay more, but I do not think many would argue even the latest Sunny's are not worth what you pay for them.

sorry don i sometimes 4get to log off from my bro's account before i post

I do hate to intrude on this intellectual discussion among experts (if the cap fits, ppl, don't force it on urself and tell me I'm calling anyone names or any such thing), but I gotta say man, what ur smoking must be some good shit (as Shak puts it) Since when is a 3 year old almost 50k on the clock car considered "brand new"?? :blink:

I'll reserve my comments on the Tiida until I actually drive one. All I'll say is, not a fan of the looks, but it does seem amazingly spacious inside.

Edited by Pericles

I do hate to intrude on this intellectual discussion among experts (if the cap fits, ppl, don't force it on urself and tell me I'm calling anyone names or any such thing), but I gotta say man, what ur smoking must be some good shit (as Shak puts it) Since when is a 3 year old almost 50k on the clock car considered "brand new"?? :blink:

I'll reserve my comments on the Tiida until I actually drive one. All I'll say is, not a fan of the looks, but it does seem amazingly spacious inside.

errm, i found this thread fairly entertaining, because its not often that we see an in depth discussion about sunnys and corollas here....

peri, I think what Nim meant when he said "brand new" was that the car was a Brand new, Agent import rather than a recon car....

IMO, if the tida is based on the clio, then it SHOULD be fairly decent to drive... the clio has always been held in fairly high esteem in it's segment... and it looks distinctive as well...too bad they couldn't make it more attractive though..

Edited by Supra_Natural

errm, i found this thread fairly entertaining, because its not often that we see an in depth discussion about sunnys and corollas here....

peri, I think what Nim meant when he said "brand new" was that the car was a Brand new, Agent import rather than a recon car....

IMO, if the tida is based on the clio, then it SHOULD be fairly decent to drive... the clio has always been held in fairly high esteem in it's segment... and it looks distinctive as well...too bad they couldn't make it more attractive though..

ha ha, well its not really been that serious a discussion and I do not think anybody on this post considers themselves an expert nor the discussion intellectual, not everybody here are knowledgeable about automobiles as some others are (including myself may I humbly add)

to satisfy my curiosity I have done some research on the Tida and in my humble opinion I do not think its a direct badge re engineering of the Clio though certainly the front looks distinctly like the Clio. But the fact is the Clio as far as I know has always been a hatchback and a small one at that while the Tida is a sedan with quite a bit more room than the Clio.

The Clio obviously has been a huge success for Renault in the market it has been aimed at, being described as lively and nippy and a lot of them are on the roads, and the Clio sport was described by Mr Clerkson as being a bit mad (cos it has a tendency to go on 3 wheels on tight corners) but I guess even he liked the car, and the leaders in the hot hatch market in Europe at least are probably the Type R, the Golf GTI and the Clio Sport.

As for the Sunny and the Corolla, why shouldn't we talk about them?, the biggest car market in Sri Lanka (before the sudden flood of cheap Indian and Chinese small cars) were the small family sedans, and the Sunny and Corolla are by far the market leaders in that segment in Sri Lanka for a few decades now, they have been the choice of automobile for the middle class family man :) and thats the category most of us would fall in to at some point I guess .....

Edited by The Don

I am familiar with the terminology, even tho I find it faintly ridiculous. However, once u look at a vehicle has done 50k, its rather irrelevant if it came down brand new or not. It might have been abused recon, it might have been abused by whoever used it in SL for 50k. And 50k IS quite a bit in a 3 year old car. So forming opinions on the engine on that basis, well, think for yourself. Besides, in the very next para he says the ownership experience isn't satis even with a brand new car. Hope that doesn't mean "bought down brand new years ago" again.

ha ha, well its not really been that serious a discussion and I do not think anybody on this post considers themselves an expert nor the discussion intellectual, not everybody here are knowledgeable about automobiles as some others are (including myself may I humbly add)

Told ya not to put caps on. And I would have thought the sarcasm was evident.

to satisfy my curiosity I have done some research on the Tida and in my humble opinion I do not think its a direct badge re engineering of the Clio though certainly the front looks distinctly like the Clio. But the fact is the Clio as far as I know has always been a hatchback and a small one at that while the Tida is a sedan with quite a bit more room than the Clio.

Not quite. See the Tiida is the wagon and the Tiida Latio is the sedan. And if Nissan does their normal playing around with diff names for the same car in different places, that might change, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Tiida backs up that statement. On the Clio issue, IMO, its not a rebadged Clio, tho it certainly shares the same platform, tho in a stretched wheelbase for the Tiida. As proven here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

Ok I've decided to join in, since you gusy are having so much fun here :D !!

First the Tiida is not a replacement to the Sunny in my opinion. The Clio is a B segment car and the Tiida is a B segment sedan like the Toyota Yaris and Honda City. When a small B segment hatch is turned into a sedan the result is awful. But somehow Nissan has managed to make their offering uglier than the Yaris and City. Don't you think?

The real replacement for the Sunny is this car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sentra in the US. In Europe they launched the Qashqai which is a jacked up hatch that posing as a SUV, Crossover or MAV or whatever. Both are based on the Renault Megane platform which is C segment and Sunny size.

The Sentra looks good doesn't it? And the Qashqai is not bad either.

In good ole Sri Lanka taxes have gone up so much and the Rupee has depreciated so much that the Yaris is the new Corolla and the Tiida is the new Sunny. Sad :( !

Not putting any hats on Peri, just clarifying I was simply commenting on the matter to the best of my abilities, with the limited knowledge I have, and mindful that some of the comments I make might sound ridiculous to another who obviously knows better.

GTAM, the Sentra has been marketed for a while in the US hasn't it so it can't quite be called a replacement, merely a re badged Sunny,

And I think you are quite right the Tida and the Clio are in a different market segment than what the Sunny used to be, I wonder this whole exercise of stretching hatchbacks out to sedans is a cost saving exercise and everybody seems to do it, The Mazda 3 sedan is another example,

Have you also noticed that a lot of European medium sized and small sedans are actually marketed as hatchbacks, the Vauxhall Astra, the Vauxhall Vectra (Marketed as Opel elsewhere) Ford Mondeo all are seen more in their hatchback versions than sedan versions, possibly because of the easier access to the boot it gives,

So my point is why don't manufacturers just make bigger hatchbacks rather than trying to strech out hatchbacks into sedans and come up with these really ugly designs that is as desirable as a chimpanzee in a bikini ! (no offense intended to our great ape friends)

But on a purely marketing stand point why retire the brand "Sunny", I mean its not easy to build up a brand like that, and it has obviously been one of their most popular brands for a while now, so why come up with new branding. Is there a stigma attached to the brand Sunny that they are trying to get rid of with this process ?

The Don

GTAM, the Sentra has been marketed for a while in the US hasn't it so it can't quite be called a replacement, merely a re badged Sunny,

The Don

Correct. I was refering to this particular Sentra. that it should be the Sunny for us and other markets where the Sunny was marketed.

I wonder this whole exercise of stretching hatchbacks out to sedans is a cost saving exercise and everybody seems to do it, The Mazda 3 sedan is another example,

The Don

Thankfully the Mazda 3 looks very good compared to our other suspects.

Have you also noticed that a lot of European medium sized and small sedans are actually marketed as hatchbacks, the Vauxhall Astra, the Vauxhall Vectra (Marketed as Opel elsewhere) Ford Mondeo all are seen more in their hatchback versions than sedan versions, possibly because of the easier access to the boot it gives,

So my point is why don't manufacturers just make bigger hatchbacks rather than trying to strech out hatchbacks into sedans and come up with these really ugly designs that is as desirable as a chimpanzee in a bikini ! (no offense intended to our great ape friends)

The Don

Hatchbacks are a very versatile compared with Sedans. Sedans is a US and Asian thing. Where they feel Hatch backs are small cars.

Also the end result of turning a hatch into a sedan lies with the talent of the designers and engineers. The Mazda 3 is an example of a good design. Also the yet to be launched Fiat Linea which is based on the Grande Punto looks good.

But on a purely marketing stand point why retire the brand "Sunny", I mean its not easy to build up a brand like that, and it has obviously been one of their most popular brands for a while now, so why come up with new branding. Is there a stigma attached to the brand Sunny that they are trying to get rid of with this process ?

The Don

I think it's a global thing. "Sunny" is a winner only here. In the UK the same "Sunny" itself is a joke, and has zero image. Just think about it. Nissan Sunny = Nissan Sunshine (for a car). Not avery serious name. We have got used to it so don't really think about the meaning.

Also all Sunnys have been crap in the eyes of people who want a driver's car. The image of that name is very low and unsporty even though there were one or two good derivatives like the FB14 GTiR hatch.

So that's probably the reason to drop the Sunny name in Europe. Not sure how popular Sunny is in other Asian countries. All this must have had an baring on there decision. But really Nissan can re-badge the current Sentra for markets like our if the demand is big enough. As you know our market is tiny.

The Don

You are right Don, why kill a good name? Its like Corrola beign droped. But then again its a question why Carina, Corona are coming in new model names too?