• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant Levels And Topping Up

Memphis

Question

I did some googling on this and came up with ambiguous results. Here's what I was researching on..

I have come across some cars, which require topping up the coolant more frequently than others. Sometimes once or twice a week. Some of these cars use water and others a chemical (i.e; Worth, Abro etc..) coolant.

Then there are others, who claim they do coolant checkups and top ups only during services (say once every 6 months).

Given that these cooling systems are leak tested and look leak-free, My questions are;

a.) What is the normal scenario in a tropical country like ours based on your experience?

b.) What are the remedies, if coolant loss is more frequent as in the first instance?

Over to you ....

PS: The bottom line, How often do you top up your coolant?

Edited by Memphis

Hi guys… here is what I found out.. (own experience)

1. What ever the coolant you use it’s always better to have a 1:1 ratio ( coolant : water) main reason being that the engine gets cooled by water & the coolant keeps the system from rusting.
  2. If you have a drop in your radiator water levels, it’s not only may be due to a leak in the radiator it could be even the rubber pipes that are distributing the water to the engine…there could be a very tiny hole in one of the pipes where the water leaks.. the reason you might not see this is because the water evaporates when the engine is hot. When the car is cooled down ( over night) still you may not see because the water pressure & water heat is low.. so until the pressure & the heat builds up you will not see a leak.. it’s very tricky…

I had a similar issue not easy to detect.

1. What ever the coolant you use it’s always better to have a 1:1 ratio ( coolant : water) main reason being that the engine gets cooled by water & the coolant keeps the system from rusting.
  2. If you have a drop in your radiator water levels, it’s not only may be due to a leak in the radiator it could be even the rubber pipes that are distributing the water to the engine…there could be a very tiny hole in one of the pipes where the water leaks.. the reason you might not see this is because the water evaporates when the engine is hot. When the car is cooled down ( over night) still you may not see because the water pressure & water heat is low.. so until the pressure & the heat builds up you will not see a leak.. it’s very tricky…
I had a similar issue not easy to detect.

Interesting find terabite. I guess hoses should be added to the checklist as well then.

While we are at it. What are the costs involved in replacing the set of hoses (is it just the 2 on the radiator or are there any more?)

Edited by Memphis

Interesting find terabite. I guess hoses should be added to the checklist as well then.

While we are at it. What are the costs involved in replacing the set of hoses (is it just the 2 on the radiator or are there any more?)

well that i am not sure.. i had a issue with two pipes.. not the main pipe, but two small ones.. cost me around Rs. 700.00 each... not bad..

I guess we can't mix any coolant with water. The way I have heard is that there are types of coolant that you can mix with water and others that you should not mix.

I use BP and they recommend, not to mix with water or even top up with water.

Edited by TurboSeavy

True it depends on the coolant being used. The BP cannot be mized as its pre mixed or factory mixed. Thats why it may cost a bit to use when doing a full fill up.

Hoses for Honda's are a bit more expensive. 1500-3500 bucks if I remember right varying by the size

True it depends on the coolant being used. The BP cannot be mized as its pre mixed or factory mixed. Thats why it may cost a bit to use when doing a full fill up.

Hoses for Honda's are a bit more expensive. 1500-3500 bucks if I remember right varying by the size

thats a norm for hondas :(

i checked the reciepts - it read Rs. 1,450 for BP coolant to fill up the whole thing - abt 6 months back - & it is pre mixed as Pilla mentioned so don't bother with any water

this was done soon after the entire radiator was removed and serviced

Sorry dudes.. yes agreed that there are some type of coolants that don't need water... what i was trying to say was, you can use any coolant to your radiator i meant Caltex, ABRO etc....

as for the hose pipe prices.. it was 1700 each !!!!! not 700.. ( typing Mistake)

as for the hose pipe prices.. it was 1700 each !!!!! not 700.. ( typing Mistake)

Any cooling system diagnostic and repair places you guys recommend? I'm thinking in the lines of places which specializes in radiator/cooling system leak testing, servicing etc.

Any cooling system diagnostic and repair places you guys recommend? I'm thinking in the lines of places which specializes in radiator/cooling system leak testing, servicing etc.

R*diator H*use is a sure bet if its only that - but dunno if they do the whole system

expereinces with them have been more with the core seperately as opposed to the whole vehicle being checked

located out in Maradana

Agents are the best for things like that.. I like the neatness in the way they depressure the system and remove the stuff

i checked the reciepts - it read Rs. 1,450 for BP coolant to fill up the whole thing - abt 6 months back - & it is pre mixed as Pilla mentioned so don't bother with any water

this was done soon after the entire radiator was removed and serviced

I think that must be for 2liters.. One was def. less than 800 bucks