• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tow An Auto Car

shehan123

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi guys,

is it possible to tow Auto car in neutral position. is it ok to keep the vehicle in drive position while stop in a traffic.

expect your valuable reply

Sorry Im not sure with regards to answering your question but Ive heard the best option for getting an immobile auto car from a to b is a car carrier. Doesnt cost much and is a safe option (unless your tranny is gone) then it doesnt matter in what position the gear is.

Hi

DO NOT HAVE THE GEAR IN DRIVE WHEN TOWING!!!

Best to have the prop shaft disconnected when towing an auto vehicle. Alternatively, lift the side of the car that has the driving wheels.

Transporting on a flat bed carrier is also a good idea.

Sorry Im not sure with regards to answering your question but Ive heard the best option for getting an immobile auto car from a to b is a car carrier. Doesnt cost much and is a safe option (unless your tranny is gone) then it doesnt matter in what position the gear is.

Not sure about whether it is good or bad, but i've done it many times with no adverse effect to the cars.....

u can tow on neutral position, bt u cant tow the car for long distance, max is 2Km not more than that...

Hi guys,

is it possible to tow Auto car in neutral position. is it ok to keep the vehicle in drive position while stop in a traffic.

expect your valuable reply

Like Dunc said, lift from the drive wheels. (ie front if FWD, rear if RWD). Unless, u broke something on the other end, in which case, get a flatbed. There are ppl that blv towing an auto is a bad idea, The reasonning is that in an A/T the fluid is recirculated by the input side of the tranny and if being towed then only the output side is turning. Therefore if u tow for a long distance, u could dry out the tranny and overheat. I am just not sure it this applies to just early A/Ts or universally.

I dont think it hurts to stay in D at a quick light, eventhough I sometimes goto neutral (and then forget I am in N when light turns green)

Edited by dhp

Life it at the drive wheels as duncan and the rest said.. There is a valid reason as to why a vehicle wouldnt start when the gear is in D and I am sure based on that fact alone, that pushing/moving a vehicle by having the gear at D would do more definitely.. shift to N and do the needful...

Zz

is it ok to keep the vehicle in drive position while stop in a traffic

its best that you switch to Neutral when in traffic - you may have realized on your onw accord that the car tries to motivate itself forward and requires constant application of the brakes to keep it stationary and from inching forward

this alone results in mild engine strain as the power keeps being sent to the wheels where as there is no resultant movement

also you increase the wear on the brake pads

simplest thing to do is to flick the grear selctor into N - if u notice it slots in from "D" to "N" without having to depress the brake pedal fully - you'll realize how the strain feels relived the moment you put it into Nuetral when in traffic

wat he says is 100% correct....

Like Dunc said, lift from the drive wheels. (ie front if FWD, rear if RWD). Unless, u broke something on the other end, in which case, get a flatbed. There are ppl that blv towing an auto is a bad idea, The reasonning is that in an A/T the fluid is recirculated by the input side of the tranny and if being towed then only the output side is turning. Therefore if u tow for a long distance, u could dry out the tranny and overheat. I am just not sure it this applies to just early A/Ts or universally.

I dont think it hurts to stay in D at a quick light, eventhough I sometimes goto neutral (and then forget I am in N when light turns green)

Take 'sir' Duncan's advice.Tow only for short distances and durations.

When talking about transporting on a flat bed carrier or low beds ,I was given a very good service by a Jaela based company.Very cheap rates too. Sorry for not mentioning names here due forum rules practiced.

its best that you switch to Neutral when in traffic - you may have realized on your onw accord that the car tries to motivate itself forward and requires constant application of the brakes to keep it stationary and from inching forward

this alone results in mild engine strain as the power keeps being sent to the wheels where as there is no resultant movement

also you increase the wear on the brake pads

simplest thing to do is to flick the grear selctor into N - if u notice it slots in from "D" to "N" without having to depress the brake pedal fully - you'll realize how the strain feels relived the moment you put it into Nuetral when in traffic

Agreed, I do the same following the same logic

something I don't understand. Why do you want to shift to D when being towed? For what purpose?

The car is being towed....just keep the foot on the brake when stopped.

something I don't understand. Why do you want to shift to D when being towed? For what purpose?

The car is being towed....just keep the foot on the brake when stopped.

i don't think the setting it into Drive or nuetral was in direct relation to the towing question

i belive it was more a general question - or everyone assumed it to be! :D