• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Serena

thanu_dk

Hi there,

Serena was the 1st van in SL with a bonet and people were amazed to see such a van. But there are lot of complaints like comfort, engine issues. I rember 3 years back a friend of mine got a 252 dash one for 650,000. And those are the prices, i dont know the market now.

For me, i find its a good vehicle and worth the price.

Note-I guess Serena was the newer version for Vanet

Hi there,

Serena was the 1st van in SL with a bonet and people were amazed to see such a van. But there are lot of complaints like comfort, engine issues. I rember 3 years back a friend of mine got a 252 dash one for 650,000. And those are the prices, i dont know the market now.

For me, i find its a good vehicle and worth the price.

Note-I guess Serena was the newer version for Vanet

Was your friend happy with the Serena he got 3 years back?

The Serena bacame unpopular due to engine overheating problems, quick engine wear, electrical and suspension related problems. Making commercial running difficult.

At the time (90's on) the Toyota Town Ace CR27 Lotto models were only slightly more expensive but made super workhorses. Now the Serena goes around 7-800k while a Town Ace of the same vintage sells for 1.3mil range.

Vanette is a rebadged Serena in some markets but in SL is came as a different model (JDM)

When talking about Serena overheating problems,cant blame the manufacturer.

Serena is fitted with few air bleed nipples of water circulation system and trapped air in the system be properly bleed out using them and if not ,result in overheating problems.This is not known to many technicians and users thus end up blaming the van.An aftermarket custom local radiator with an additional electrical fan will easily sort out any heating realated matter.

MINIACE

Was your friend happy with the Serena he got 3 years back?

The Serena bacame unpopular due to engine overheating problems, quick engine wear, electrical and suspension related problems. Making commercial running difficult.

At the time (90's on) the Toyota Town Ace CR27 Lotto models were only slightly more expensive but made super workhorses. Now the Serena goes around 7-800k while a Town Ace of the same vintage sells for 1.3mil range.

Vanette is a rebadged Serena in some markets but in SL is came as a different model (JDM)

Machang he had given it to rent and he didnt have much compliants

the Serena was woefully sluggish! i'm not saying a van should be brisk - that isnt quite the point but they really didnt like moving...

also there was another issue in the lack of sliding windows at the back

this meant that A/C use was virtually a must if the passengers at the back were to survive the journey without being susceptible to heat stroke on account of the lack of air & being fried from the sunligh let in through the ver large rear & side windows! :lol:

the Serena was woefully sluggish! i'm not saying a van should be brisk - that isnt quite the point but they really didnt like moving...

also there was another issue in the lack of sliding windows at the back

this meant that A/C use was virtually a must if the passengers at the back were to survive the journey without being susceptible to heat stroke on account of the lack of air & being fried from the sunligh let in through the ver large rear & side windows! :lol:

ok, i respect your thoughts but its not that bad

To start with many Serena models here in SL are just delivery models and not meant for passenger transport.So pax complanits are not entertained :lol:

But the same shape called Largo is a passenger and the VX is passenger

In 1996 we bought a Serena VX, lured by the MPV looks, perceived comfort and of course the Diesel economy. Unfortunately we had the usualy never ending over heating problem. We did not keep it even for a year.

Besides that as Devinda says its dead slow, even though I once outran a 1.5 Mazda 323 in it :D

Build quality wasn't that great too. But it had a cool feature....... power assisted door closing :D

Serena may have a front nose (a bonnet) but the engine is still midship under the front seats like the vannet

as such the front nose did not improve frontal crash safety, but rather obstructed the ventilation to engine / radiator I guess

when Toyota and Mitsubishi introduced the bonnet to their popular van models they put the engine in front which made a big difference compared to their predecessors in terms of safety and reduced penetration of engine noise and heat into the cabin. I think it improved the handling too.

Edited by HardHat
  • Like 1

More Serena details found

This is what Euro NCAP Crash Test Results state about Serena

"The Serena suffered massive intrusion into the footwell and cabin. The front wheel was pushed back into the driver's footwell while the facia and steering wheel were pushed upwards, reducing the driver's survival space to a worrying extent. What's more, the slide mechanism on the front passenger seat failed, allowing it to move forward during the impact. And, because the belt buckle is attached to the seat rather than directly to the cabin floor, this failure was even more alarming. Nissan says it is investigating why this happened and how it can improve future designs"

www.shocking-AA-serena-test-report

More Serena details found

This is what Euro NCAP Crash Test Results state about Serena

"The Serena suffered massive intrusion into the footwell and cabin. The front wheel was pushed back into the driver's footwell while the facia and steering wheel were pushed upwards, reducing the driver's survival space to a worrying extent. What's more, the slide mechanism on the front passenger seat failed, allowing it to move forward during the impact. And, because the belt buckle is attached to the seat rather than directly to the cabin floor, this failure was even more alarming. Nissan says it is investigating why this happened and how it can improve future designs"

www.shocking-AA-serena-test-report

But i think for SL crash test results doesnt matter to determine the market value of a car

• 12 years later...