• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Over Clocking Ur Gpu

randiljosh

IPB Image

:blink:

i also noticed this - Josh JR would u care to explain yourself??

:huh:

...my privacy suddenly feels violated!!!... :D

umba policiyenda?

Id say.. that part bout intel experimenting on various chips basically like a "survival of the fittest" is news to me.. so in the sense, they have no clear directions as to where their heading but making take that current tech to the limits eh? interesting..

pretty true bout the low end processors being more overclockable.. certain chips which i ve handle are basically the superior chips with certain communication channels within disabled.. just for the low-mid-high end variations alone.. i ve seen plenty o cards which allows certain hacks to allow more pipelines to work, those very pipelines which were rendered useless via firmware...

as far as GPU overclocking goes.. my opinion is that it is pointless considering the few frames gain.. that is.. if you are blessed with an already powerful card.. my interest nevertheless lies on the research being done over at AMD based on combining both the CPU and GPU.. it would def be quite complex and com channels etc. would necessitate a thorough redesigning.. n from what i feel.. a new chipset to cope up with the tech..

used to be an overclocking fanatic.. gamin interest faded away slightly.. so did my interest in keepin up wit overclocking :(

I think ya would have definitely heard bout the Gigabyet I-RAM.... good stuff for boosting up overall speed of the machine.. inclusive of games!

Zz

Damn my office pc said admin locked... :(

• 2 weeks later...

machan that Video is AWESOME!!!!!! 5GHz!!!! :o

& liquid nitrogen cooling - thats jus insane!!!! :lol:

hmmm & i wonder why my poor laptop freezes up - when é exhuast air is hot enough to burn (ni i'm no kidding or exggerating - its hot enogh to case a fair deal of disconfort & prolonged skin contact with é underside n sides of é lap is not possible! :( )

what is the processor in your notebook?

its a P4 Mobile 2 Ghz

but its a very pld machine - jan 2002 - 512MB Ram , 40GB HDD , 64MB Ati VGA ++

é machine freezes every so many minutes - like jus today it froze about 5 minutes after booting up - knocked off using é power button n fired it up again only to have it happn agian

but i tried again an hour later anf have been using it since (abt 3hrs)

this freezing business has been happening for abt a month now...

is it possble that it may have somthing to do with my battery giving out? as in é battery has been on é decline for a while now but as of a month n a half has not been retaining a charge - so if é power from é main goes oout it just knocks off :(

any advice / help ??

its a P4 Mobile 2 Ghz

but its a very pld machine - jan 2002 - 512MB Ram , 40GB HDD , 64MB Ati VGA ++

é machine freezes every so many minutes - like jus today it froze about 5 minutes after booting up - knocked off using é power button n fired it up again only to have it happn agian

but i tried again an hour later anf have been using it since (abt 3hrs)

this freezing business has been happening for abt a month now...

is it possble that it may have somthing to do with my battery giving out? as in é battery has been on é decline for a while now but as of a month n a half has not been retaining a charge - so if é power from é main goes oout it just knocks off :(

any advice / help ??

Dude, you need to do something about the extreme heat. Besides slowly killing all the internal components, you run the real risk of the machine catching fire :o

The machine freezing is 99% due to heat. P4m's sometimes freeze instead of throttling down, when overheating (could be other motherboard components also running too hot causing freezing)

Here are some suggestions:

1. Get a laptop cooler: Unity plaza has some laptop coolers - these are panels you place the laptop on which have USB connection and fan(s) which will cool the bottom of the laptop. Alternatively, if you use your laptop on a table only, put something small under the front (so the laptop is at an angle and air can go under, cooling it) and put a small PC/case fan near the processors air intake (this is the hottest area). A simple fan can rapidly bring down the temperature to manageable levels.

Also use a software program to monitor hardware temperatures (e.g. speedfan). Your hard disk should not go above 36 degrees celcius and your processor should stay under 50. If either goes higher, shut down the PC as you risk physical damage.

2. You have a mobile CPU. Set it to its lowest speed option and allow it to speed up automatically if needed.
Seriously, heat (and moisture) kills PCs in Sri Lanka. And its a shame to have a PC die when you could have done something.

The P4 2ghz mobile gets surprisingly hot. I have one in my laptop. Also most laptops have poor cooling. HP's are particularly bad LOL

@fuzzo

does Intel have a warranty re: motherboards and capacitors? I have an Intel board (d865...) where most of the capacitors appear to have leaked from the top?

Edited by Saturn

as saturn said, heat would be the biggest cause of the machine hanging up. it was very common when they put desktop cpu's into notebooks. if you have a mobile processor, try using it somewhere well ventilated/cooler and check if the hanging continues.

as for intel warranty, intel gives 3 years warranty on all their items. the dealers here do not pass that onto the customers. where did you buy the board from. how long ago?

Yeah.. heat causes most of the lockups.. my desktop processor runs at a egg frying (almost) 80 odd degrees despite all my efforts to speed things up.. the only alternative being an aftermarket cooler which i do not have the cash for :( ...

and there are issues bout laptops being used on the laps.. lol.. i suggest ya read up on those before ya put em on ya lap.. :)

@ saturn - there should be a way to replace the stock cooler on the laptop with that of a better performing brand yeah? in terms of size and dimensions i am sure that there should exist aftermarket replacement fans..

heat is pcs killers.. especially in SL (during this season).. things get way too hot.. i normally remove my pc casing to keep things a bit cooler but i suppose that in ya case Devz it is literally impossible..

Zz

Yeah.. heat causes most of the lockups.. my desktop processor runs at a egg frying (almost) 80 odd degrees despite all my efforts to speed things up.. the only alternative being an aftermarket cooler which i do not have the cash for :( ...

WOAH.. seriously, you run a risk of seriously damaging that machine.

There is no reason for the processor to run so hot. Even in Sri Lanka, when properly installed, a typical Intel processor should run between 30 - 40 degrees (idle) and max out at around 52 or so (single core) or 55 (dual core)

If your processor is running at 80 degrees, please do NOT use the PC.

Possible causes for overheating:

1. Overclocked (please ensure that the CPU is running at manufacturer specs, not overclocked)

2. Inproperly seated heatsink - if the heatsink is not properly seated on the CPU its quite normal for it to massively overheat. Also, note, if for any reason you remove the CPU, you have to reseat it with a new intel approved thermal pad or OEM equivalent which, ironically, isnt available in Sri Lanka.

3. Incorrect thermal pad/paste. I recommend the original intel thermal pad or arctic silver. The thermal pad is available (sometimes) unofficially via EPSI (an intel agent).

You don't need an aftermarket cooler - the stock intel cooler is perfectly capable of managing the heat levels.

Try to do something about this PC or you seriously run the risk of killing it. YES, intel processors do include thermal protection but long term usage at the limits of thermal ability can damage the processor and/or board.

and there are issues bout laptops being used on the laps.. lol.. i suggest ya read up on those before ya put em on ya lap.. :)

Roasted nuts.. anyone? :))

@ saturn - there should be a way to replace the stock cooler on the laptop with that of a better performing brand yeah? in terms of size and dimensions i am sure that there should exist aftermarket replacement fans..

Well actually the laptops cooler is custom designed for that particular laptop. You may be able to get better results by switching to more heat conductive material (e.g. copper) but quite frankly,

1. Laptops tend to run rather hot, some brands more than others.

2. The extreme weather we experience here means virtually all laptops need external cooling (even if operated in an airconditioned environment) . As I said unity plaza have these little flat coolers which you can place your laptop on which usually solves the problem. Yes, it looks rather lame but it does the trick.

Lastly, switching to a better thermal paste (e.g. arctic silver) may help but it involves the risky procedure of opening your laptop (not recommended)

heat is pcs killers.. especially in SL (during this season).. things get way too hot.. i normally remove my pc casing to keep things a bit cooler but i suppose that in ya case Devz it is literally impossible..

Zz

True. I have heard many people mention removing their PC case to keep it cool. Honestly this is not the best solution (and sometimes it makes things worse - reason is the PC is designed to suck cool air from outside (from the bottom) and push warm air outwards. When you remove the case you kill this whole system.

A better solution would be to redesign the fan layout so that it is more efficient, also (obviously) use an AC.

Edited by Saturn

WOAH.. seriously, you run a risk of seriously damaging that machine.

There is no reason for the processor to run so hot. Even in Sri Lanka, when properly installed, a typical Intel processor should run between 30 - 40 degrees (idle) and max out at around 52 or so (single core) or 55 (dual core)

If your processor is running at 80 degrees, please do NOT use the PC.

Possible causes for overheating:

1. Overclocked (please ensure that the CPU is running at manufacturer specs, not overclocked)

2. Inproperly seated heatsink - if the heatsink is not properly seated on the CPU its quite normal for it to massively overheat. Also, note, if for any reason you remove the CPU, you have to reseat it with a new intel approved thermal pad or OEM equivalent which, ironically, isnt available in Sri Lanka.

3. Incorrect thermal pad/paste. I recommend the original intel thermal pad or arctic silver. The thermal pad is available (sometimes) unofficially via EPSI (an intel agent).

You don't need an aftermarket cooler - the stock intel cooler is perfectly capable of managing the heat levels.

Try to do something about this PC or you seriously run the risk of killing it. YES, intel processors do include thermal protection but long term usage at the limits of thermal ability can damage the processor and/or board.

Roasted nuts.. anyone? :))

Well actually the laptops cooler is custom designed for that particular laptop. You may be able to get better results by switching to more heat conductive material (e.g. copper) but quite frankly,

1. Laptops tend to run rather hot, some brands more than others.

2. The extreme weather we experience here means virtually all laptops need external cooling (even if operated in an airconditioned environment) . As I said unity plaza have these little flat coolers which you can place your laptop on which usually solves the problem. Yes, it looks rather lame but it does the trick.

Lastly, switching to a better thermal paste (e.g. arctic silver) may help but it involves the risky procedure of opening your laptop (not recommended)

True. I have heard many people mention removing their PC case to keep it cool. Honestly this is not the best solution (and sometimes it makes things worse - reason is the PC is designed to suck cool air from outside (from the bottom) and push warm air outwards. When you remove the case you kill this whole system.

A better solution would be to redesign the fan layout so that it is more efficient, also (obviously) use an AC.

My gues is as good as ya s dude.. the sealant seemz to be bit scrwed up.. i ve heard that artic silver does quite a good job conducting the heat so i guess i better somehow find the crap via the net atleast... plus everythings installed perfectly and the processor aint overclocked.. dont wanna risk extra bucks.. the best part is that the system runs smoothly lol.. even in high load times.. gotta another prob though recently.. gpu s cooler went bust.. sigh.. what a life!

i ve noted that with the casing closed the internal temp is way higher in comparison to it been open.. so that s why i ve opted for the open air solution.. lol.. unfortunately.. over here construction work is pretty high so dust too causes major probz..

fried nuts is somewhat ok lmao.. shooting blanks? now thats a way different story lmao...

considereing DevzZ financial status.. and A/C would very wel be eh.. well... lets say a stock part of a home ;) jkz..

Zz

thanx for all your replies guys :)

u guys r spot on - cuz it is an HP!!! :o ..well a Compaq Presario 2100 to be exact! :)

i think i'll take ur advice & go check out a cooling dock

without really thinking abt it - simply cuz é heat was damaging é polish on é table i put a small wooden base of sorts which elevated é Laptop an ince or so off é table - this has jus two thni contacts so there's a fair deal of space under é machine for air to flow - so hopefully it'll help a bit

only downside is that its not all that steady so typing is a bit messy! :(

& as for é chances of me getting an A/C..... :rolleyes:

if u lot can help me sell é "Z" , then my financial situ would not only allow an AC but possibly a new laptop too! :D

thanx for all your replies guys :)

u guys r spot on - cuz it is an HP!!! :o ..well a Compaq Presario 2100 to be exact! :)

i think i'll take ur advice & go check out a cooling dock

without really thinking abt it - simply cuz é heat was damaging é polish on é table i put a small wooden base of sorts which elevated é Laptop an ince or so off é table - this has jus two thni contacts so there's a fair deal of space under é machine for air to flow - so hopefully it'll help a bit

only downside is that its not all that steady so typing is a bit messy! :(

& as for é chances of me getting an A/C..... :rolleyes:

if u lot can help me sell é "Z" , then my financial situ would not only allow an AC but possibly a new laptop too! :D

wel ya could spilling some water over the table n placin da laptop over it ;) just kiddin! dnt try it lol... there are these portable A/C s dude which retails for bout 5-8k which is quite cheap.. that could be a good solution for ya heat prob.. not 2 mention da terrible heat @ nite too...

Zz