• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mini Spi Fuel Mixture

Maa

I've got a Rover MINI SPi. From the day 1 I got this MINI, I observed that the fuel mixture runs very rich. I cleaned the injector, replaced the plugs and wires, replaced the fuel filters, cleaned the ful lines and pump plus the tank. But still the car runs very rich. Later i replacd the Catalyst and the silancer mufflers with streight pipe and a barrel at the end. (The labmda sensor near the catalyst converter was damaged from the time i acquired this car)

The car runs very smooth in idle and I have no questions on the low-end and high-end performance.

I see lot of carbon at the tail of the exhaust and in spark plugs.

Don't tell me to replace the Labda sensor (O2 sensor), as they are not available in SL :)

Any workaround?

talk to MiniAce - he'll know wut to do :)

...but i've got a similar issue with a slightly rich mix in é Z...i attributed it to é plugs not firing right given they were not é premium spec - but u seemed to hav gone through all é possible causes n rectified it all..u may wanna consider a ECU remap - dunno if anyone here will do it though... :mellow:

Hey Maa!

I belive it’s the faulty Lambda sensor since you've done the most needed inspections/replacements.

Lambda in the exhaust manifold provides ECU with constant feedback on exhaust gas content- enables the ECU to adjust inlet fuel/air mixture to maximum efficiency. Lambda sensor has a built-in heating element, controlled by the ECU through the Lambda sensor relay to quickly bring the sensor’s tip to an efficient operating temperature.

Let me expalin how important Mini Lambda sensor is..

The sensor’s top is sensitive to oxygen, and sends the ECU a varying voltage depending on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases; if the inlet air/fuel mixture is too rich, the exhaust gases are low in oxygen, so the sensor sends a low-voltage signal; the voltage rises as the mixture weakens and the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases rises.

Peak conversion efficiency of all major pollutants occurs if the inlet air/fuel mixture is maintained at the chemically-correct ratio for the complete combustion of petrol - 14.7 parts (by weight) of air to 1 part of fuel (the “stoichiometric” ratio). The sensor output voltage alters in a large step at this point, the ECU using the signal change as a reference point, correcting the inlet fuel/air mixture accordingly by altering the fuel injector pulse width.

So change the sensor soon ans see! Try Iqbal uncle,he had one sometime back.Please post the result here.

MINIACE

Hey Maa!

I belive it’s the faulty Lambda sensor since you've done the most needed inspections/replacements.

Lambda in the exhaust manifold provides ECU with constant feedback on exhaust gas content- enables the ECU to adjust inlet fuel/air mixture to maximum efficiency. Lambda sensor has a built-in heating element, controlled by the ECU through the Lambda sensor relay to quickly bring the sensor’s tip to an efficient operating temperature.

Let me expalin how important Mini Lambda sensor is..

The sensor’s top is sensitive to oxygen, and sends the ECU a varying voltage depending on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases; if the inlet air/fuel mixture is too rich, the exhaust gases are low in oxygen, so the sensor sends a low-voltage signal; the voltage rises as the mixture weakens and the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases rises.

Peak conversion efficiency of all major pollutants occurs if the inlet air/fuel mixture is maintained at the chemically-correct ratio for the complete combustion of petrol - 14.7 parts (by weight) of air to 1 part of fuel (the “stoichiometric” ratio). The sensor output voltage alters in a large step at this point, the ECU using the signal change as a reference point, correcting the inlet fuel/air mixture accordingly by altering the fuel injector pulse width.

So change the sensor soon ans see! Try Iqbal uncle,he had one sometime back.Please post the result here.

MINIACE

So there IS a certain degree of oxygen being passed as exhaust eh.. but i thought to achieve maximum efficiency of the engine, all oxygen should be burnt up thus more power.. could you refer to an article which would enlighten me on dis bro? if its not a prob..

Zz

So there IS a certain degree of oxygen being passed as exhaust eh.. but i thought to achieve maximum efficiency of the engine, all oxygen should be burnt up thus more power.. could you refer to an article which would enlighten me on dis bro? if its not a prob..

Zz

Machan exhaust emission contains Carbon Monoxide CO ..forgot the basics :P ??? Lambda picks the percentage!! Lambda sensor is called O2 sensor!!

MINIACE

so basically its kinda a faulty O2 sensor? so if i have my O2 sensor - will that sort my issue as well Mini? :huh:

Yeah..most simply ignore a faulty O2 sensor but now you know how important that small thing is.Better get it checked and replaced !

MINIACE

é Nissan COnzult doesnt seem to pick it up :(

...i have a feeling i'll be calling on Mr.Zakie Ismail sometime in é near future..

my only issue is replacing O2 sensors means a huuuge cost - é Z is said to have FOUR sensors!!!

one beore é CAT & another after it - so thats TWO there & é same for é other Exhuast line!!!

...this is é downside of a V6... ~sigh~ its double EVERYTHING! :mellow:

Hi MiniAce,

Isn't the Lambda sensor which is located in the exhaust manifold does the fuel mixture controlling job in the MINI?

As I know, the sensor which is located after the Catalyst takes the measures for Emission Control System.

Anyway from all the info I got, I think I better search for a O2 sensor for the MINI. Any idea from where I could find one in SL? At least an equivalent? BTW, Bosche should have the original. Anyone know who is the Boche dealer in SL?

-Maa

Machan exhaust emission contains Carbon Monoxide CO ..forgot the basics :P ??? Lambda picks the percentage!! Lambda sensor is called O2 sensor!!

MINIACE

Yeah..most simply ignore a faulty O2 sensor but now you know how important that small thing is.Better get it checked and replaced !

MINIACE

oh ma bad.. lol.. but then what would you call the sensor at the air filter.. what confused me is why this sensor at the exhaust is called o2 sensor.. i do know it calculates the percentage of exhaust gases.. 02 is oxygen yeah? n CO - carbon mono... sorry if am bugging ya.. just want to know man :)

Zz

Hi MiniAce,

Isn't the Lambda sensor which is located in the exhaust manifold does the fuel mixture controlling job in the MINI?

As I know, the sensor which is located after the Catalyst takes the measures for Emission Control System.

-Maa

Read my reply again...

All fuel-injection Mini models are equipped with a catalytic converter in the exhaust system.

The system, unlike that fitted to carburettor models, is a “closed-loop” system. The Lambda sensor in the exhaust manifold provides the engine management ECU with constant feedback on exhaust gas content,

which enables the ECU to adjust the inlet fuel/air mixture to keep the converter operating at maximum efficiency.

Clear this time???

MINIACE

Read my reply again...

All fuel-injection Mini models are equipped with a catalytic converter in the exhaust system.

The system, unlike that fitted to carburettor models, is a “closed-loop” system. The Lambda sensor in the exhaust manifold provides the engine management ECU with constant feedback on exhaust gas content,

which enables the ECU to adjust the inlet fuel/air mixture to keep the converter operating at maximum efficiency.

Clear this time???

MINIACE

And the pro has Spoken!

Miniace, from which year did minis get its ECU?

And the pro has Spoken!

Miniace, from which year did minis get its ECU?

Thanks MINIAce... I had the same understanding... but i wonder what the sensor does which is located next to the Catalyst??? Any way i already removed it as it was damaged + i wanted to remove the Catalyst...

when i bought this MINI, the particular sensor was damaged and the ECU alarm was beeping... so now i run with a disconnected alarm :)

Thanks MINIAce... I had the same understanding... but i wonder what the sensor does which is located next to the Catalyst??? Any way i already removed it as it was damaged + i wanted to remove the Catalyst...

when i bought this MINI, the particular sensor was damaged and the ECU alarm was beeping... so now i run with a disconnected alarm :)

Now you know where the problem is....sometimes DIY doesnt work you know :D

MINIACE

Re-launched your Mini plans or something ;) ??? You asked too many Mini questions recently :D and inquired about my Minis :D

MINIACE

Oh dont worry, i am a fan of minis. The picture right below haunted my mind to dream on this particuler color and model.But one day (like3 decades later :D ) when i colect my funds i will buy this together with you

IPB Image

how expensive is a NEW Mini?? :huh:

...there were a few unregisterd ones in Kohuwala ya? any idea of 'r price range - registered or otherwise?

4mil upwards, there was a reg one in a sale at union place. they asked for 4.2

Oh dont worry, i am a fan of minis. The picture right below haunted my mind to dream on this particuler color and model.But one day (like3 decades later :D ) when i colect my funds i will buy this together with you

Macho thats a good target!! dont change it or I will not let you change it :lol: BTW a similar car (same colour scheme) is In SL and owned by Sanjeewa T.

New MINIs are 5+ mil nowadays.

MINIACE