• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Resetting Ecu's

Terabite

Question

hi,

I was just wondering what would be the best way to reset a Ecu, I have read some forums & come up with the following, let me now if you guys have better ideas,

1. Unplug the negative battery cable connection for 30 seconds then plug back on & run on idle for 10Min
  2. Unplug both the positive & Negative Cables & hold together for 15 sec, then plug back on & run on idle for 10 Min.
  3. Unplug the Fuse ( I guess to find that will take more time)
  4. Disconnect the battery, go in your car and hold the brake light for 10 secs this will discharge what remaining power u got in your systems so u are sure there is no power and memory is lost then run on idle for 10 min.

Appreciate your ideas boys,.......

5 answers to this question

disconnecting the negative cable and turning on the ignition switch should discharge the ecu. most repair shops revs the engine right after connecting battery and i have experience very bad fuel performance after this. leaving engine run idle for a while (5mins or so) always had better performance.

disconnecting the negative cable and turning on the ignition switch should discharge the ecu. most repair shops revs the engine right after connecting battery and i have experience very bad fuel performance after this. leaving engine run idle for a while (5mins or so) always had better performance.

so i guess the best way for a reset would be to unplug the battery terminals ??

unplug the terminal and leave it for a while - overnight will definity reset the ECU

but any particluar reason u'd wanna do this??

upon reset i've felt that fro the next 20km at least the car "doesnt quite feel right" - throttle response becomes inconsistent etc until é ECU studies n maps é driving style & fuel air mix etc

unplug the terminal and leave it for a while - overnight will definity reset the ECU

but any particluar reason u'd wanna do this??

upon reset i've felt that fro the next 20km at least the car "doesnt quite feel right" - throttle response becomes inconsistent etc until é ECU studies n maps é driving style & fuel air mix etc

hi Devinda,

No particular reason, just a quick research.

thanks