• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airforce Mazda3

miniace

Guys is the Mazda6 out in SL yet? I haven't seen it around when there. That's an awesome looking car and is quite popular here in the southern USA, my friends tell me the performance is quite good though(granted they're all using automatic transmission :lol: ) am actually looking into getting one sometime in the near future.

Guys is the Mazda6 out in SL yet? I haven't seen it around when there. That's an awesome looking car and is quite popular here in the southern USA, my friends tell me the performance is quite good though(granted they're all using automatic transmission :D ) am actually looking into getting one sometime in the near future.

ONLY TWO IN SL.

BLACK NON SPORT AUTO AND WHITE SPORT AUTO

SPORT CARRIES THE 2.3 LITER AUTO WHICH MAKES THE CAR LANDED IN SL AT AROUND Rs 5.1 - Rs 5.5 ( Thinks So )

In USA its around USD 23000 for the Sports I guess.

:lol:

Finally Sri Lanka Air Force ends the drought of boring cars get Mazda3.

Here are first pictures! Sorry about the poor quality pictures!

Cheers!post-1024-1136609749.jpgpost-1024-1136609810.jpg

At last Mazda has made its Mark in Sl,

Mazdas are really great cars. specialy the new 3 has awesome interior.

• 14 years later...

Mazda,

If I remember Our late entrepreneur Mr, Upali Wijwardana assembled about 100 Mazda cars in Srilanka. The first car he assembled was presented to Kelaniya Chief prest Vijitha Dammarakkitha. White coloured Upali Mazda.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

42 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

Wow...where is this? Upali wijewardane also had a glacier blue MG A Twin cam roadster. 

This was at Ceylon Motor Show (BMICH ) in 2017 , the classic car section 

Edited by sathyajithj99

On 1/7/2006 at 10:58 AM, miniace said:

Finally Sri Lanka Air Force ends the drought of boring cars get Mazda3.

Here are first pictures! Sorry about the poor quality pictures!

Cheers!post-1024-1136609749.jpgpost-1024-1136609810.jpg

Ahhh so that's why I see a lot of Guwan Planes on Mazda's - Well done  now.  Wonder who did the deal  ? Colonial or Carmart.

I'm sure it cant compare to flying in one of there planes but  with a Mazda - I'm sure it's the next best thing on 4 wheels  ?

• Like 1

Mazda,

This car was not popular in Sl during the open era. Later Mazda bongo was produced by the Japanese factory this van was popular in Sl they had two different rims bigger wheels in front and duel small wheels on the rear, therefore, the owner had to maintain two tires as spare tires. I in 1980 till 1988 imported plenty of Mazda vehicles including the buses also. Buses were difficult to sell in SL because other brands were more popular. Prisons department had few Mazda buses.

Originally RX7 was imported to Sl with rotary engines. Few cars were running in SL, suddenly this engine capacity as stated in CR was questioned by SL Customs, that was a false complaint, as to CC was not the original as stated on the CR. This was a piece of false information which they had received, from other Vehicle importers.

SL Customs banded the RX7 to SL, also the one vehicle in the SL port waiting for clearance. I remember importer from Kotahena contacted me because he had heard of my connections with Mazda in Japan. I immediately gave him the contact number of the factory engineer to confirm the CC capacity of the rotary engine. The importer managed to clear the vehicle from SL port without any difficulty. Thereafter few of Mazda RX& cars came to SL.

I imported duel rear wheel Bongos Diesel duel rear wheel with a little modification in japan made them 15 seaters and sold few of them to North of SL. I used a duel wheel  Gasoline engine Mazda van, made it a 9 seater paid the duty difference and used the same for 30000 Kilometers. Very good engine had no problems with that vehicle.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sylvi said:

I imported duel rear wheel Bongos Diesel duel rear wheel with a little modification in japan made them 15 seaters and sold few of them to North of SL. I used a duel wheel  Gasoline engine Mazda van, made it a 9 seater paid the duty difference and used the same for 30000 Kilometers. Very good engine had no problems with that vehicle.

The dual rear wheel variants in all vans are referred to as "Just Low" variants. The smaller wheels were used so that the rear wheel arch can be kept small..as a result the rear cargo area was completely flat as opposed to standard vans (ones with large rims) which had wheel arches popping out on the rear cargo floor area. If I am not mistaken the Just Low variants had a higher weight rating. The dual wheels were used to ensure that the rear wheels can handle the access weight.  

iRage,

You are correct about weight handling. I remember one importer imported about 200 Vehicles Just Low, (All Brands) converted them with imported used single rear (Two not Four-wheel) standard two-wheel Differantails and did the conversion, so that no one will be able to rectify same. All workers (TINKERS) were from the north, at that time the ethnic civil war was on they were forced to come to Colombo. Due to lack of work in the North.

Painters Electricians' seats and hood decorators were from close to Colombo. Importer made very good money from selling those vehicles to our buyers. Buyers did not know the difference between Chassis numbers. Some of them, very first few vehicles did not do well on their tires due to the wrong Chassis alignment. One Automobile Engineer correct the same. Thereafter they followed his instructions.

This was like Meter adjusting which is still in practice. Sri Lankans had a starved market for automobiles. Whatever imported were able to sell to our starved vehicle market.   

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.