• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2003 Montero Sport

Nozozo

• 13 years later...

So taking it up all the way from 2006,

here goes, looking for a 2003 2004 Montero Sport, somewhere in the 4mil figure,

Gotta be an auto as my wife intends to drive it. Need something that can take the abuse

initally thought of a Raize but toys won’t cut it.

Will see a few cars in the weekend

just wanted a few facts on it. We’ve had a 2008 Diesel, same body, facelift a bit but not one of these

well they are 3l 6G72 V6, fuel economy is not a concern but really how bad is it?

besides any other issues?

Does it have enough grunt as per that engine? Hence why I’m looking for a petrol suv

these are fairly old now so? Gearbox (auto) ? Suspension ?

being a frequenter at the agent, I asked them and they said it’s the best gen that ever came as they are from Japan and smooth engine blah blah. Of course they want the business 

Appreciate any help. 
@iRagesaw some ancient comments from you, anything to add please? 

Well..same as my earlier comments....based on the Challenger which was pretty nice. It was quite popular in East Timor where I was based sometime ago. The V6 was pretty peppy (in its hay day) for decent city and highway running and some average off-roading. but the diesel is (obviously) preferred for any serious off-roading or towing.

The Montero Sport variants which were manufactured in Thailand was a bit "tuned" for local conditions. Which means the interior materials were a bit cheapish (for SEA and Asian variants) and the suspension was hardened (which made it a bit bouncy...which got only worst with the following model). 

The initial Montero Sport (at least some batches of it) and the Challenger were produced together with market spec differences...Production was carried out in Thailand as well and progressively became the main production base for the Montero Sport a small time after Japan pulled out the Challenger.

If you are looking for a proper large SUV obviously a Raize would not cut it..but may I ask why a Toyota would not cut it ? (granted finding a decent Prado or Fortuner is a bit hard). Having said that....I prefer the first generation Fortuner over the Montero Sport of the same era. However,I find  the latest Montero Sport better than the latest Fortuner (in fact eh latest Fortuner sucks a lot more than the 1st gen Fortuner which its loosely based on).

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..same as my earlier comments....based on the Challenger which was pretty nice. It was quite popular in East Timor where I was based sometime ago. The V6 was pretty peppy (in its hay day) for decent city and highway running and some average off-roading. but the diesel is (obviously) preferred for any serious off-roading or towing.

The Montero Sport variants which were manufactured in Thailand was a bit "tuned" for local conditions. Which means the interior materials were a bit cheapish (for SEA and Asian variants) and the suspension was hardened (which made it a bit bouncy...which got only worst with the following model). 

The initial Montero Sport (at least some batches of it) and the Challenger were produced together with market spec differences...Production was carried out in Thailand as well and progressively became the main production base for the Montero Sport a small time after Japan pulled out the Challenger.

If you are looking for a proper large SUV obviously a Raize would not cut it..but may I ask why a Toyota would not cut it ? (granted finding a decent Prado or Fortuner is a bit hard). Having said that....I prefer the first generation Fortuner over the Montero Sport of the same era. However,I find  the latest Montero Sport better than the latest Fortuner (in fact eh latest Fortuner sucks a lot more than the 1st gen Fortuner which its loosely based on).

Prados in the 4mil range are kinda ancient, and fortuners are beyond 5 mil innit

Is there anything else you would recommend?

59 minutes ago, tiv said:

Prados in the 4mil range are kinda ancient, and fortuners are beyond 5 mil innit

Is there anything else you would recommend?

I am confused about what you want....if you are looking at something around the 4mil price point there are the usual cross overs....but I am guessing they are too urban for your needs ?

A good option that falls in between would be the 2nd gen Vitara....has a proper dual range four wheel drive system....practical and decently put together. For the same price as a Challenger and something like a 10 year old RAV4 you probably can find a much newer Vitara.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I am confused about what you want....if you are looking at something around the 4mil price point there are the usual cross overs....but I am guessing they are too urban for your needs ?

A good option that falls in between would be the 2nd gen Vitara....has a proper dual range four wheel drive system....practical and decently put together. For the same price as a Challenger and something like a 10 year old RAV4 you probably can find a much newer Vitara.

Yea I’m sorta looking for a larger suv, body on frame type, large engine petrol or diesel. Has to be Automatic and 4wd, bit after the early 2000s in terms of Yom, need something capable with space.

I am a bit loyal to the Mitsubishi brand since we had a few, but I’m yet to find a 1st gen Montero sport that has been well maintained, with a reasonably low mileage, say less than 100,000km

I know it sounds unreal but well there was a car and I missed it.

and I’m happy with the agents, also my mechanic knows in and out of the Mitsubishi’s 

Those 2001 Montero also seem fine but they have unrealistic mileages of 130k km and also the GDI issue, 

Fortuner is in the crosshairs but bit over budget, I will look at the prev gen Vitara too.