• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vw Beetle

k89

would like to know the spare parts availability of Old beetle in Sri Lanka. just spoke to one guy who ownes a beetle and he said you have to make your own parts and also it does abt 6kms/litter :D is this true?

Hi

I don't live in SL, so can't answer your question.

I recently bought a 1956 Beetle and got most of the needed spares on e-Bay. This helped me to finish the project.

Which model is yours?

Mine does about 8km/L.

Cheers

well, i still dont own a bug. my first love is with mini's, but might go for a bug too. i have no idea abt e-bay purchase's for Sri lankens due to custom regulations over here.

is there is any body here buying stuff from ebay? if so how difficulte is it to clear thru customs ?

Edited by k89

well, i still dont own a bug. my first love is with mini's, but might go for a bug too. i have no idea abt e-bay purchase's for Sri lankens due to custom regulations over here.

is there is any body here buying stuff from ebay? if so how difficulte is it to clear thru customs ?

Yo dude,

E-bay's the best! I buy all my stuff from them from Turbos to Stereos to pro AV equipment. Fortunately I still have US credit cards, US mailing address and Paypal but if you don't have that it is difficult.

The problem is more the buying part and not the improting part, if you have a relative in US u can ask them to buy it for you and wire them the money from your local account. Then when they send it here ask them to not send any invoices and put a low value on the customs declaration form that way you pay small duty otherwise our Post Office buggers will rape you. For something that is valued at Rs.10k they will charge you Rs. 5K in taxes!

This is the sad and pathetic situ in out country even if you are bringing stuff dwn for personal use our govt will take its pound of flesh and blood to boot :D

Cheers, Porky

paypal is supposed to be up and running for SL in a few months. will let you guys know what happens with that. it will make online purchases easier.

Hey fuzzo,

That's going to be good news for a lot of locals, this way they can avoid getting ripped of for low quality car and other stuff from the numerous unscrupulous local vendors and just buy good brand name stuff for the same price direct from anywhere in the world. :D

This is not to say you don't have to be careful on e-Bay but there are many good vendors online other than just e-Bay that accept Paypal.

Do keep us posted.

Cheers, Porky

would like to know the spare parts availability of Old beetle in Sri Lanka. just spoke to one guy who ownes a beetle and he said you have to make your own parts and also it does abt 6kms/litter :D is this true?

VW beetle parts available in Sri Lanka. There are specific VW dealers .. u name it you can get the part. I know a person who did a complete restore on his VW1300 and he even bought brand new VW wheel rims and those are of Argentinian make. if you want further details let me know

VW beetle parts available in Sri Lanka. There are specific VW dealers .. u name it you can get the part. I know a person who did a complete restore on his VW1300 and he even bought brand new VW wheel rims and those are of Argentinian make. if you want further details let me know

yea... I pls do let me know store names with tel no if you can. and Tks for the info.

"paypal is supposed to be up and running for SL in a few months. will let you guys know what happens with that. it will make online purchases easier."

wow.. this is best news i had so far this morning !!! Tks.

eh.. is it confirmed that paypal would be landing over here in LK? from what i know.. it would take a minimum o another year or two especially with the rate of scams going on in our country.. they ve reasons to be doubtful of our financial market/laws...

Zz

yea... I pls do let me know store names with tel no if you can. and Tks for the info.

"paypal is supposed to be up and running for SL in a few months. will let you guys know what happens with that. it will make online purchases easier."

Hi dude,

There are many dealers in SL. I don't have their contact details. A walk through Panchikawatte should sort you out. There is a club here and you should contact them. I'm sure they'll be able to help you. You may call Nimal - 0777777069. He is a member of the club.

Well, as for the fuel consumption we have a VW bug 1200 at home and it does about 7-9 kmpl city running.. There are 1300 and a 1600 dual carb versions too.

I dont think u`ll need to worry much about spare parts coz there are plenty of used parts available at junk yards and there are plenty of "reputed" junk yards scrapping VW beetles and other old cars.. I`m not really sure abot brand new parts availability but i must tell u that living with a VW bug (or any classic car in that matter) is not easy when it comes to repairs.. Thing is that it`s not just buying parts off the shelf and replacing u know.. The engine and other machanicals are really simple and basic stuff so fixing one is not really hard for an average mechanic but u`ll have to run about and get stuf done for the repair if ur mechanic is not prepared to do that part..

But then again if u are not really using it hard running thousands of km`s per month, a bug will run reliabely after a good overall repair work..

Good luck with ur Bug..

Cheers..

Edited by MrCat

• 2 weeks later...

hi..

i had a VW beetle 1960 model. Did abt 8Km/L.

p1010003oh3.th.jpg

2 years back did a upholstry, rewiring, and paint jobs.

spares are easy to find:

shops:

• Sindu Motors, moratuwa
  • Subasingha Motors, Colombo 10

also some junk yards in Battaramulla, Nadimaala, and Koggala.

good mechanic (old CarMart mechanic) - near Angulana Railway station, moratuwa.

Sadly had to sell it 3 weeks back for Rs 100000/=

Smeegol

would like to know the spare parts availability of Old beetle in Sri Lanka. just spoke to one guy who ownes a beetle and he said you have to make your own parts and also it does abt 6kms/litter :lol: is this true?

tell me the part description and i will send it to you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

a friend is lookin for the Wolfsberg logo on the steering wheel on the Volkswagen Beetle (1200 CC).

WolfsburgCrest.gif

can u pls tel me where we can get one.

ciao

Hi Smeegol,

There are couple of places at armor street and one near kotikawatte which should have this. I purchased a steering with the said logo for my 1300cc from the kotikawatte place.

Just drop me an email to [email protected] and i will send you the details of the places as the names cannot be quoted here.

Clyde

Hi Smeegol,

There are couple of places at armor street and one near kotikawatte which should have this. I purchased a steering with the said logo for my 1300cc from the kotikawatte place.

Just drop me an email to [email protected] and i will send you the details of the places as the names cannot be quoted here.

Clyde

Hi

thanx a lot man..

will tell my friend about this.

ciao

Hey guys

a friend is lookin for the Wolfsberg logo on the steering wheel on the Volkswagen Beetle (1200 CC).

WolfsburgCrest.gif

can u pls tel me where we can get one.

ciao

Call this guy and ask.. Mr Nihal Gunasekara 0112850136 and tell him you're a known person of Harshan who has a white peugeot GR

• 2 years later...
  • 10 years later...

You can buy anything for beetle , from the nut and bolt to body panel , engine , interior , each and every parts , but you have to import from online parts seller like VW heritage, jbug.com, wostburgwest.com etc ... there are many.

I imported around 17lac parts for my 1963 beetle restoration ,  sad part is high custom tax , I had one of my friend working in custom so i got some discount tax ;) 

51 minutes ago, harshanath86 said:

You can buy anything for beetle , from the nut and bolt to body panel , engine , interior , each and every parts , but you have to import from online parts seller like VW heritage, jbug.com, wostburgwest.com etc ... there are many.

I imported around 17lac parts for my 1963 beetle restoration ,  sad part is high custom tax , I had one of my friend working in custom so i got some discount tax ;) 

Why are you responding to a question posed 14 years ago?