• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recommend Ac Repair Shops

fuzzo

Question

1 hour ago, NeroX said:

Reviving an old thread. Need help repairing the ac system of a corolla 121. Any good recommendations around kandana, ja-ela, negombo areas?

Atlantic Ref Engineers, Kadolkae Road, Negombo (road parallel to railway line)

Dear members, 

I hope you are keeping well. I thought I would raise my question here (instead of creating a new tread). It is somewhat mysterious and we are not able to get it solved despite of few attempts(via 2-3 places) including a full service & installation of a new cooler.

Vehicle: KIA Sportage 2008 (Petrol 2.0/mileage 105 K)

Problem: Loss of cooling after driving 30 - 40KMs in constant higher speeds (80kph or higher occurs mainly on expressway). The AC kicks-in as soon as when the car slows down(eg: arriving at the toll-gate). Other than this, The AC works without any issue when driving in city, suburbs, or lower speeds (even for long hours, ie: Colombo to Kandy). The cooling totally ok when it works. 

It would be great if someone could shed some light on where is problem lies/ how to fix it ?

Thank you. 

Not sure this is the same issue but I’ve experienced something of similar nature.

This was when I bought the EX, AC worked fine in the first day and I noticed A/C dropping during city run on the next day. 

My first observation was that when driven in very hot conditions (like in city traffic) for a while, the compressor clutch stopped engaging.

when this was referred to my AC mechanic, he instantly identified the problem. The solution was to remove a metal o-ring from the compressor clutch assembly. He said that due to metal expansion when getting  heated , clutch moves further away from the coil thus preventing the magnetic bond.

He further said that in time as the compressor wears off, this happens. Removing the metal ring solved the issue and it never surfaced.

I don’t know whether something of this sort causing your problem as well. 

Reading your symptoms, It seems the culprit is the compressor. So better to start from there.

However replacing the cooler was a total unnecessary thing in my opinion....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, trinity said:

when this was referred to my AC mechanic, he instantly identified the problem. The solution was to remove a metal o-ring from the compressor clutch assembly. He said that due to metal expansion when getting  heated , clutch moves further away from the coil thus preventing the magnetic bond.

He further said that in time as the compressor wears off, this happens. Removing the metal ring solved the issue and it never surfaced.

Did this modification affect the overall performance of the AC system? 

How did the AC of the ASX fare compared to the EX? 

14 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Did this modification affect the overall performance of the AC system? 

How did the AC of the ASX fare compared to the EX? 

It’s  not a modification per say, fairly a simple fix. As far as I can say, the AC system works as it intended to work. 

The ASX has auto climate control. Didn’t see much of a different between both vehicles in AC wise. However in comfort, power, handling and overall driving pleasure wise, the Lancer is way ahead of the ASX. 

Driving that vehicle made me question the value addition the ASX or any other mid range SUV could give over a Sedan like ours. I don’t see any good point over the sedan when compared those vehicles. Just pure waste of money. 

I would pick a Lancer EX or a Mazda 6 over any mid range SUV at this juncture. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trinity said:

It’s  not a modification per say, fairly a simple fix. As far as I can say, the AC system works as it intended to work. 

The ASX has auto climate control. Didn’t see much of a different between both vehicles in AC wise. However in comfort, power, handling and overall driving pleasure wise, the Lancer is way ahead of the ASX. 

Driving that vehicle made me question the value addition the ASX or any other mid range SUV could give over a Sedan like ours. I don’t see any good point over the sedan when compared those vehicles. Just pure waste of money. 

I would pick a Lancer EX or a Mazda 6 over any mid range SUV at this juncture. 

Well that was a good tidbit to know in any case, Unimo would've suggested a complete replacement of the compressor for sure

29 minutes ago, trinity said:

Quick google search prompt me the below article which explains the process.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/air-conditioner-clutch-shim-removal.17403/

The workshop manual itself explains this process:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer_x/online/Service_Manual/2010/55/html/M155200460207500ENG.HTM

However it says "use shims to adjust the air gap to the standard value of 0.25-0.5mm"  

zf6BnaS.png

And here be the shims (and replacement nuts and snap rings! just $8 for the whole kit)

oa0IwML.jpg

So it seems your mechanic was right. You can add/remove/replace shims until the gap is 0.25-0.5mm, that's why those are there for

Edited by Hyaenidae

9 hours ago, trinity said:

Not sure this is the same issue but I’ve experienced something of similar nature.

This was when I bought the EX, AC worked fine in the first day and I noticed A/C dropping during city run on the next day. 

My first observation was that when driven in very hot conditions (like in city traffic) for a while, the compressor clutch stopped engaging.

Reading your symptoms, It seems the culprit is the compressor. So better to start from there.

@trinity, should have report to Mitz about this unnecessary o-ring design. Our local engineers way ahead in some cases. 

Edited by john cooper

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

The workshop manual itself explains this process:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer_x/online/Service_Manual/2010/55/html/M155200460207500ENG.HTM

However it says "use shims to adjust the air gap to the standard value of 0.25-0.5mm"  

zf6BnaS.png

And here be the shims (and replacement nuts and snap rings! just $8 for the whole kit)

oa0IwML.jpg

So it seems your mechanic was right. You can add/remove/replace shims until the gap is 0.25-0.5mm, that's why those are there for

Wow ?, this is a good find. I never bothered to check in depth to this. Good that it’s confirmed. 

@Davy can you share the above post as well as the other post which explain the issue to the Lancer EX repair thread as well. Might be useful to some who’s referring that thread for repair details. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, john cooper said:

@trinity, should have report to Mitz about this unnecessary o-ring design. Our local engineers way ahead in some cases. 

What else could the manufacturer have meant when they said "use shims to adjust the air gap"? 

The clutch kit (pictured below) contains 8 shims and 1 of every other nut and snap rings

oa0IwML.jpg

CvnYNTp.png

zf6BnaS.png

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2010 at 12:41 PM, lasi said:

Where is SAS?

There's an SAS near Kohuwala cemetery. Went there for a second opinion when that AC joint near SLT Regional Office, Kotte tried to rip me off with an unnecessary compressor and evaporator replacement. Saved me a heap of trouble, money and found the culprit was just a leak in the evaporator. Did a small weld and all was good. Highly recommend them.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, trinity said:

@trinitycould you share details of the place you got this done? Sounds like a honest guy who doesnt look to mislead you.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, trinity said:

Hi Trinity,

I faced the same problem with my EX. And a mechanic said the same thing what you've said here. He said the gap between clutch and coil is too much due to metal expansion. He is in Thalahena, koswatta.

So, just wanted to know. Did removing the O-ring fixed the issue completely?

I'm about to go and get it fixed.