• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Autolanka Funniest Moments

Duncan

Annnnnnd the winner for 2020 goes to, this guy!

GTA Inspired FAIL.

Like I always say, most of our buggers have more money than brains! 

The crawl control would have been able to dig it out itself, but it seemed to be getting worse because of rising tide. 

Had a video of over 200 people watching closeby.  

In the video the vehicle is covered halfway in water.

Pure aiyoo salli moment!

FB_IMG_1589450543271.jpg

FB_IMG_1589450538242.jpg

FB_IMG_1589450541255.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, fiat fan said:

GTA Inspired FAIL.

The crawl control would have been able to dig it out itself, but it seemed to be getting worse because of rising tide. 

Pure aiyoo salli moment!

FB_IMG_1589450543271.jpg

FB_IMG_1589450538242.jpg

FB_IMG_1589450541255.jpg

Damn,  Anyone able to catch the number of that vehicle?   Ha ha, definitely will end up for sale very soon.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

GTA Inspired FAIL.

Pure aiyoo salli moment!

FB_IMG_1589450538242.jpg

Wow. Time for a  "හපොයි.....?"

Also I see they have blacked out the license plate. Not cool. Instead I'd highlight the license plate info as a public service; as for sure as anything, that 'mint condition' Landcruiser is going to be up for sale as soon as they can get the salt stains out! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

FB_IMG_1589450538242.jpg

When people don't understand the difference between the real Land cruiser vs mom's wagon.. Those 200 series doesn't even have a diff lockers right? I won't even go near the sand with those 200 series Land cruisers stock.

Toyota Landcruiser 70 SERIES (2007 - present) | ARB 4x4 Accessories

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kmeeg said:

When people don't understand the difference between the real Land cruiser vs mom's wagon.. Those 200 series doesn't even have a diff lockers right? I won't even go near the sand with those 200 series Land cruisers stock.

Toyota Landcruiser 70 SERIES (2007 - present) | ARB 4x4 Accessories

Actually...that is not a fair statement.  It has a center diff lock complemented with a H and L range TC and a crawl control system that is actually pretty dang good. The entire range from the base GX to the higher grades have the same system (the higher grades had things like height adjustment which became standard in pretty much all the grades later on). We have field vehicles that go through sand banks rocks, etc...with minimal mods. In fact it is the same system that comes with the Tacoma and 4Runner TRD Pros with some slight tweaks to adjust for the body dynamics. I too was skeptical about the electronic gizmos but these things have held up pretty long and is as capable as the 70 series we have on the fleet. The difference with the 70 is that the mechanical locks give a sense of better control and peace of mind (still don't trust the electronics).

Like @fiat fansaid...crawl control would have gotten the car out by itself. I feel this was a case of the person not knowing how to use his own car and just digging himself in. More money than brains....

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pericles said:

Watch Matt LeBlanc race a tuk with 25 bags of Tea loaded on it, and you will never ask questions like this again.

Hey Pericles! Good to hear from you: Its been a while! 

Yes, that was an interesting episode, but a bit unrealistic...I've seen those bags get loaded (you have too I bet from watching the morning collection being weighed / visiting tea estates) and a properly filled bag is around 20-25kg no way the flimsy roof of a tuk would support all that weight?! Even if it did it'd be too top heavy to drive...

I will agree though, that Tuks are awesome on those estate roads as they either drive around any ruts or just bounce through them after everyone gets out. They are the ultimate village transport solution!

Dunno, but I've kinda gone off Top Gear ( as well as The Grand Tour)- sacrilegious I know! But they seem to have moved away from the core biz of reveiwing cars. I find Chris Harris and that British dude from carwow more interesting and for subtle humour that's not over the top: Doug Demuro! :D 

Edited by Kavvz

31 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

For subtle humour that's not over the top: Doug Demuro! :D 

I want an episode where they discuss all the interesting quirks and features and give a Doug score for the Bajaj Qute. 

Not to mention, trying to get into the back seat. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually...that is not a fair statement.  It has a center diff lock complemented with a H and L range TC and a crawl control system that is actually pretty dang good. The entire range from the base GX to the higher grades have the same system (the higher grades had things like height adjustment which became standard in pretty much all the grades later on). We have field vehicles that go through sand banks rocks, etc...with minimal mods. In fact it is the same system that comes with the Tacoma and 4Runner TRD Pros with some slight tweaks to adjust for the body dynamics. I too was skeptical about the electronic gizmos but these things have held up pretty long and is as capable as the 70 series we have on the fleet. The difference with the 70 is that the mechanical locks give a sense of better control and peace of mind (still don't trust the electronics).

Like @fiat fansaid...crawl control would have gotten the car out by itself. I feel this was a case of the person not knowing how to use his own car and just digging himself in. More money than brains....

As far as I understand (since I'm not a pro, just an amateur to wheeling)..

In LC 200 the center diff lock option is there because it allows to work as a AWD system with different speeds front to back (H4F) on high traction surface vs Tacoma and 4Runner can unlock 4wd and use 2wd. Since Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd systems are part time 4wd in 4H  they don't need a center diff lock it if 100% connected front to back. So LC 200 4wd high + center diff lock (H4L) is equal to Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd high. When LC 200 in low range (L4L) its center diff locked so same as Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd Low.

In addition to traction system and brakes based A-trac and crawl control on LC200 the Tacoma and 4Runner got rear diff lock which really locks left and right wheels which allows them to crawl slowly over obstacles.

In LC200 in order for A-trac to work you need to send power and allow wheel spin for the computer to work with the traction control system and  brakes to send power to either side like the left foot braking we use in old 4wd vehicles. Crawl control works in a similar way, using brakes and the computer controls the throttle. The diff locks on Tacoma and 4Runner does not rely brakes it locks left and right axles from the diff.

Again please correct me if I said anything wrong. This is only based on basic experience I have.

difflock.jpg

lc200.jpg

Edited by kmeeg

Can you not reduce the damage done by the salt water if you immediately wash the undercarriage with fresh water thoroughly? 

Also, the under carriage coating does not prevent salt water penetration up to some point? 

Saw a video some time back where some vehicles get caught to mild sea tide which comes on to main road, somewhere along Galle road. 

2 hours ago, JayZ said:

Can you not reduce the damage done by the salt water if you immediately wash the undercarriage with fresh water thoroughly? 

Also, the under carriage coating does not prevent salt water penetration up to some point? 

Saw a video some time back where some vehicles get caught to mild sea tide which comes on to main road, somewhere along Galle road. 

I'm sure you can  reduce some of the damage, but you won't he able to change the fact that this vehicle was immersed in salt water.

While rising it with water is probably a good idea to limit damage, the salt water potentially worked itself into all kinds of nooks and crannies it was never designed to be in and rising the exterior off with fresh water isn't going to change things that much.

While the undercarriage and other componants designed to be exposed to the weather and salt spray from the road etc may have some rust proofing; Toyota never designed the vehicle with salt water immersion in mind, so who knows what kind of havoc salt water will cause in areas that are not normally protected from corrosion. (I dread to think what kind of fault codes all those fancy sensors, connectors, fuseboxes and miles of wiring are going to generate once some corrosion kicks in after a few weeks!) 

Having said that, this vehicle may be perfectly fine after its little exploit. But who wants to spend upwards of 30mil  finding out? ?

Edited by Kavvz
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

Toyota never designed the vehicle with salt water immersion in mind, so who knows what kind of havoc salt water will cause in areas that are not normally protected from corrosion.

As far as I've heard Toyota is on the bad books when it comes to rust.  I take extra care in cleaning under-body.

image.png.44041d10ed1da56b00ac9293c60f95c1.png

16 hours ago, kmeeg said:

In LC 200 the center diff lock option is there because it allows to work as a AWD system with different speeds front to back (H4F) on high traction surface vs Tacoma and 4Runner can unlock 4wd and use 2wd. Since Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd systems are part time 4wd in 4H  they don't need a center diff lock it if 100% connected front to back. So LC 200 4wd high + center diff lock (H4L) is equal to Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd high. When LC 200 in low range (L4L) its center diff locked so same as Tacoma and 4Runner 4wd Low.

In addition to traction system and brakes based A-trac and crawl control on LC200 the Tacoma and 4Runner got rear diff lock which really locks left and right wheels which allows them to crawl slowly over obstacles.

In LC200 in order for A-trac to work you need to send power and allow wheel spin for the computer to work with the traction control system and  brakes to send power to either side like the left foot braking we use in old 4wd vehicles. Crawl control works in a similar way, using brakes and the computer controls the throttle. The diff locks on Tacoma and 4Runner does not rely brakes it locks left and right axles from the diff.

Again please correct me if I said anything wrong. This is only based on basic experience I have.

difflock.jpg

Yes for the most part. The Tacoma and only some 4Runners (I beleive) do not need the center diff...instead it would have a locking transfer case. The rear diff lock being electronic, the Tacoma/Tundra/4Runner all have ones that are selectable. With the LC range it is not selectable and depending on the terrain mode and what it feels, the system would choose to engage or disengage.

As for the rust issues. Wasn't it mostly a case of Americans being Americans. I don't know what the current cases are but they did get sued in the past. At that time the cases were mainly from States that used salt on roads and the undercarriage protection not living up to the claims. Interestingly I don't think there are any frame rusting issues in other countries (and even in other regions of North America). As for the Land Cruiser that went for a beach drive....yes..doing a proper wash out would minimize the damage.....but then one would have to look for even the slightest of blemishes on the frame/body surface and clean it out and dry it up...clean every crease and crevice and clean it out. Something which 99% of the car washes will not do....then the salt water does get on to sensors,  threads covered by the bolts, etc....cleaning those will be a pain. So it is not a clean once and you are good to go kind of thing (again, something 99% of owners will not do). 

Edited by iRage

15 hours ago, kmeeg said:

difflock.jpg

lc200.jpg

From the little I know, I would like to correct a few things. 

What does a diff lock do?

A center differential lock would lock the transmission in a 50/50 split front and rear, so unlike in a AWD or a permanent 4WD it does not vary the power given to front and back. The old Land Rovers except the Freelanders has this as standard. Freelander used a viscous coupling to give power to front and rear based on traction.

A rear diff lock would lock the rear diff giving the same kind of power to both the rear wheels (locks the rear axles 50/50), this way it eliminates the free wheel spin that you would see on a low traction surface or when a wheel is in the air and gives the same power to the other wheel so you can come out. (I remember the Y60 had this along with the center diff lock, so did some of the new Disco 3 & 4 when specified and its standard on the auto terrain response equipped ones)

Some vehicles are equipped with the front diff lock (Merc G Class and the Wrangler Rubicons) this would lock the front axle 50/50.

Diff locks are useful if you do a lot of hardcore off roading, in my view this LC could have come out without a diff lock, just needed to choose the correct sand program, maybe started on 2nd and let a bit of air out of the tires for more traction. On sand you need to be gentle with the throttle, if you panic and floor it you will bog down further. Most of the off roaders users would not use diff lock at all so some manufacturers dont offer them even as an option.

I think the crawl control on the LC doesnt need the rear diff to lock, it will make sure that the vehicle crawls through mud etc using the traction control to give power to whatever wheel has traction. Its basically a computer system working through ABS and traction control to brake the free spinning wheel and give power to the wheel that is not spinning. This is something similar to what you see on the new Jimny I think.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, Gummybr said:

From the little I know, I would like to correct a few things. 

What does a diff lock do?

A center differential lock would lock the transmission in a 50/50 split front and rear, so unlike in a AWD or a permanent 4WD it does not vary the power given to front and back. The old Land Rovers except the Freelanders has this as standard. Freelander used a viscous coupling to give power to front and rear based on traction.

A rear diff lock would lock the rear diff giving the same kind of power to both the rear wheels (locks the rear axles 50/50), this way it eliminates the free wheel spin that you would see on a low traction surface or when a wheel is in the air and gives the same power to the other wheel so you can come out. (I remember the Y60 had this along with the center diff lock, so did some of the new Disco 3 & 4 when specified and its standard on the auto terrain response equipped ones)

Some vehicles are equipped with the front diff lock (Merc G Class and the Wrangler Rubicons) this would lock the front axle 50/50.

Diff locks are useful if you do a lot of hardcore off roading, in my view this LC could have come out without a diff lock, just needed to choose the correct sand program, maybe started on 2nd and let a bit of air out of the tires for more traction. On sand you need to be gentle with the throttle, if you panic and floor it you will bog down further. Most of the off roaders users would not use diff lock at all so some manufacturers dont offer them even as an option.

I think the crawl control on the LC doesnt need the rear diff to lock, it will make sure that the vehicle crawls through mud etc using the traction control to give power to whatever wheel has traction. Its basically a computer system working through ABS and traction control to brake the free spinning wheel and give power to the wheel that is not spinning. This is something similar to what you see on the new Jimny I think.

Well...that is the ideology behind the diff lock. However, it does not need to be a 50/50 split. The differential can be used to split in a different ratio as well. If I memory serves me right, the the LC200 center diff lock leaves the power at 40/60. (EDIT: So I did some reading on this and there was a misinterpretation on my part...what it said was that without the center diff lock the power is locked at 40/60. So I suppose when the D is locked it is 50:50)

As for the rear diff lock...yes..the crawl control emulates the locking as it decides what it should do. So the rear diff lock function is not selectable as in the case with the Tacoma and 4Runner (which also has an eDiff lock but at a set ratio of..uhh..50/50 ?).

Yes...the crawl control does not need the SELECTABLE read diff because it is emulated by the crawl control system. 

Edited by iRage

6 hours ago, iRage said:

in the case with the Tacoma and 4Runner (which also has an eDiff lock but at a set ratio of..uhh..50/50 ?).

That is correct. When you press the rear diff lock switch on Tacoma & 4Runner its  fixed split of 1:1 left to right

7 hours ago, Gummybr said:

I'm planning to get an after market front locker for mine. I'm looking at ARB locker. In order to get a front locker I would need an onboard air compressor to power the ARB air locker. 

So when I get that I have stock rear locker (locks left and right 1:1), Center lock (since it part time 4wd its fixed 1:1 locked front to back when shifted to 4 wheel), After market front locker (locks left and right 1:1). 

If you ask me why I don't like A-trac or Crawl control they are like "Let's try that" type of system. On trails they have almost put me in a bad situation at an edge of a drop. 

28 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

I'm planning to get an after market front locker for mine. I'm looking at ARB locker. In order to get a front locker I would need an onboard air compressor to power the ARB air locker. 

So when I get that I have stock rear locker (locks left and right 1:1), Center lock (since it part time 4wd its fixed 1:1 locked front to back when shifted to 4 wheel), After market front locker (locks left and right 1:1). 

If you ask me why I don't like A-trac or Crawl control they are like "Let's try that" type of system. On trails they have almost put me in a bad situation at an edge of a drop. 

You've got two 4Runners right? So I have an easy solution for you: Get rid of one and buy a G-Wagon ! :D 

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

You've got two 4Runners right? So I have an easy solution for you: Get rid of one and buy a G-Wagon ! :D 

You think I'm CEO of a big firm? ??

image.jpeg.387ae096a192a933269ac7fc4d32f2ff.jpeg

Edited by kmeeg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

You think I'm CEO of a big firm? ??

image.jpeg.387ae096a192a933269ac7fc4d32f2ff.jpeg

lol! Used G-Wagon's are cheaper than new 4Runners so....yes.  :D 

I kid! I could never understood the whole fascination Americans have with the with G-Wagon...I'd rather have one of your 4Runners over a G-Wagon any day!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kavvz said:

lol! Used G-Wagon's are cheaper than new 4Runners so....yes.  :D 

I kid! I could never understood the whole fascination Americans have with the with G-Wagon...I'd rather have one of your 4Runners over a G-Wagon any day!

Well..back in the 90s there really was not that much of a fascination with the G-Wagon. It came about after rap musicians and bulbble gum pop artists started pimping them out as the Gangsta wagon in the early 2000s.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:07 PM, kmeeg said:

Machang do you need the front lockers? Just asking, cos I am under the impression that the front locker is not necessary for normal trail driving, unless you do hardcore rock crawling or extreme mud. My opinion only.