• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alternative Fuels

Duncan

Hey everyone

We are all moaning and groaning about the price of petrol these days, and rightfully so.

Has any of you ever considered running your petrol cars on either 100% ethanol or even a blend of ethanol?

Some models of cars will need minor adjustments to be made to their engines and in some almost no adjustments at all to run this alternative fuel.

It is widely used in quite a few countries with the biggest users being in Brazil.

The cost saving can be as much as 50%!

I think it is worth persuing.

Now here is the best part about ethanol........it has a higher octane level without all the enviro unfriendly lead in it. So you get to be "green concious" and also have more power.

:)

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

so y hasnt this been implementd so far?...oh i forgot its sri lanka... :)

Well it is not just Sri-Lanka. IMO, a lot of politics and the influences of the oil giants also comes into play here. Imagine how catestrophic it would be for them if there was an abundance of alternative fuels at a fraction of the cost?

But my point is, we as individuals can start trying out ethanol as small collective groups (not sure though how available it is in SL). But it is worth looking into.

Assuming that you get into a group of a few friends and find a source/supplier for ethanol. Then use it for at least 30% of your vehicle's consumption. The savings you would make could be substantial.

Especially in a country like SL, where you don't really travel long distances this I feel is quite practical.

• 14 years later...

All Members,

LPG was in a very big way few years back. I think a few cars are still running with LPG.

I had two Mitsubishi Vans running with LPG, only one vehicle gave me a problem with one cylinder missing, had to regrind valves and refaced all others too. With Italian LPG  units imported from India.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
Splling mistake.