• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Melted Fan

sharkster

Question

this morning i drove up to Laugfs to get my engine oil and oil filter changed... on completion the dude who was working on my car was blowing the dust off the engine and noticed one of the fans had MELTED. fortunately the car had not been heating up cos the radiator fan was still intact. it was not only the fan that had melted but the mount/frame was warped too so it wasn't just a case of replacing the fan but the ENTIRE unit. i was lucky enough to find the entire lot in nugegoda...

my question is how the hell could this have happened? i'm thanking the stars i actually went to get my oil changed even though its time wasn't up yet...

11 answers to this question

Hmmm I got the funny feeling your going to burn the replacement fan as well dude, cause you have not identifed the prob. This must the a/c one your taling about right? maybe is came in contact with mani shield by some way?

yup it is the a/c one... since it was a recent incident i'm guessing it was cos of that 2 hour traffic jam i was stuck in... it was that saturday checkpoints were setup across colombo... it took me 2 hours to cover about 6kms and a very hot day it was...

you are not the only one having issues with fans. my car over heated thi smorning at 4am.

had to get a friend to tow me back. my fans have died too. ac and radiator..

time to get rid of that car machan - too much bad luck you've had with it :P Hmm and what were you upto this sunday morning at 4.00 by the way lol

Hi Guys,

Just throwing a theory your way to be considered,

Don't the bearings of these fancs have a temperature range for operation, So if at a given point the temperature inside the engine compartment exceeded this range then its quite possible the bearing would have seized and the fan rendered inoperational which contributed to the temperature rising even more.

The bearing might have seaized due to a manufacturers defect or simply because of electronic faliure of the control unit,

To see if this theory of a fan faliure causing a sudden increase in engine compartment temperature, i wonder if Shaks noticed any change in the operational efficiency of the AC unit, i mean it should have got affected as soon as the fan went out of operation,

I do not think if the fan would have come into contact with anything if it was firmly mounted in its bracket,

only possibilities i can think of is

A. It was subject to a foreign source of heat of some form.

B. The rise of the ambient temperature within the engine comparment possibly caused by the multiple reasons

1. Very hot day

2. Car was not moving very fast so atmosphoric air flow could not have contributed to the cooling.

3. Fan faliure

4. AC working over time

caused the problem, just a theory to be poked holes in

The Don

hi don

i'm guessing it was indeed that hot day when i was stuck in traffic for over 2 hours

1. very hot day

2. car was not moving - period :action-smiley-060:

3. the fan could have failed in the midst of it... hard to say...

4. the a/c was on for most of the ride but i switched it off when i saw the temp guage move a notch up more than usual....

your list was exactly what i came up with... and considering nissans run verrryyy hot i'm just going to take a pass on the next gridlock...

cheers

These overheating problems are very worrying, because you don't want your head gasket going,

my car at home runs hot by default or so it seems since it has a very small radiator and condensor since it was never meant to run in the hot tropical climate so the temp guage is always at about halfway point.

I once suffered a fan faliure and oveheated not because the fan motor failed but the relay controlling the fan jammed up, and that caused a water tube to burst, that was in the old family mazda.

I hope both fans are now working and working well,

The Don

These overheating problems are very worrying, because you don't want your head gasket going,

my car at home runs hot by default or so it seems since it has a very small radiator and condensor since it was never meant to run in the hot tropical climate so the temp guage is always at about halfway point.

I once suffered a fan faliure and oveheated not because the fan motor failed but the relay controlling the fan jammed up, and that caused a water tube to burst, that was in the old family mazda.

I hope both fans are now working and working well,

The Don

The reasons given by you Don and agreed by the Shakster have become part and parcel of driving in Colombo.

1. Very hot day

2. Car was not moving very fast so atmospheric air flow could not have contributed to the cooling.3. Fan failure

4. AC working over time

Point 1, 2 and 4 cannot be avoided while fan Failure; Item 3 can never be predicted (or can it).

I was stuck yesterday for one hour at Warakapola on the way to Colombo. the line of vehicles was about 5kms long. My eyes were glued to the tem gauge.

Any idea how our vehicles could survive this sorta mess apart from leaving it at home and riding a bullock cart.

Cheers

hi

both fans are indeed working well... it was a lesson learned without too much fuss...

newbi the next time that sort of thing happens within city limits... i'm pulling over and hopping on to a bus... it's really not worth the strain on your car...