• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can Adsl Turn Into Wifi?

Hola

guys...i'm looking for a wireless adsl router for my slt adsl connection at my house...i already have a normal adsl modem, will i need that when i get a wireless router?...also can anyone enlighten me about this port thing,cause i've heard people make a fuss over this 4-port router thing,and i dont know what it means...

and guys can anyone suggest me a place i can get one of these cheap...even used is ok

thanks

Most Routers has the ADSL modem buit in so no need of Modem and a Router, Linksys, Netgear and US Robotic are gud brands, as i know the 4 port means the number of RJ45 ( Wired Network) ports, with a 4 port router u can conect up to 4 wired computers,

go to Unity plaza and check for wireless router prices, for a basic home wireless u dnt need expensive one, but if u planing to run a big wireless network with wireless computers in every singe room with security u need something like "Linksys WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Routers has the ADSL modem buit in so no need of Modem and a Router, Linksys, Netgear and US Robotic are gud brands, as i know the 4 port means the number of RJ45 ( Wired Network) ports, with a 4 port router u can conect up to 4 wired computers,

go to Unity plaza and check for wireless router prices, for a basic home wireless u dnt need expensive one, but if u planing to run a big wireless network with wireless computers in every singe room with security u need something like "Linksys WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router"

thanks very much gihan..and no,i'll be only using one connection for the whole house...so no need for a expensive one neda

one more question.....i have a desktop with NO wifi and a laptop WITH wifi...will i be able to use both with one router?

thanks very much gihan..and no,i'll be only using one connection for the whole house...so no need for a expensive one neda

one more question.....i have a desktop with NO wifi and a laptop WITH wifi...will i be able to use both with one router?

Either u can buy a wireless card for ur Desktop or u can conect ur Desktop using RJ45 cable to the Router, u can use both or even more, ya u dnt need expensive one,

bets solution i can recommend is to get a wireless ADSL modem and buy a wireless adapter for the PC. Thats the setup i have at our house. since we have2 comps at 2 ends of the house (+they're never online at the same time) it saves the hassle of wiring. plus when i'm home I get to use my laptop without having to worry about wire-reach.

I got the wireless ADSL modem from s'po for around Rs.9000 about 1.5 years ago, and the wireless adapter cost about Rs.4000 (both Linksys). I think prices shouldnt be that much different in SL.

PS: if you wanna save some cash you can get just a wireless router and connect it to ur existing modem, but the savings is quite small. But its easier to get the wireless modem and just keep ur existing modem for an emergency.

You could always opt for a router which has both WIFI and Ethernet ports so as to be on the safe side. You could use both parallely in most cases and the prices aint that steep for a router which supports both. If you are going for a wifi router make sure it is on the N class which is the latest. Wanted to get one baby myself but then again I couldn find the one i wanted for the price i wanted over here :D

Routers are usually WITH modems but there are those without, so make sure that you do get a router with a modem.

Zz

Hi IT experts,

I finaly bought my brand new Toshiba notebook which got WIFI.Maybe I am asking the dumb question, but is there a way I can setup my ADSL to be WIFI with any kind of gadget?

1. find out what wireless bands the laptop supports (802.11b, g, A, N etc)

usually laptops support B and G

2. Go to unity plaza, buy a ADSL WIFI accesspoint that supports G and WPA

WPA = wifi protected access - they cost under 10k. Get a popular brand like DLink, USRobotics, Linksys

make sure you get it from a decent agent, it has to support local adsl

3. Come back home, set it up to connect to ADSL (ask SLT for help)

4. Switch on your PC,enable wifi, and connect :)

You should also set up security (WPA etc) - how to do that depends on the router, OS etc, check the manual

Oops looks like I'm asking a question from long long ago! didn't notice the date there :o

Edited by Saturn

If you are going for a wifi router make sure it is on the N class which is the latest. Wanted to get one baby myself but then again I couldn find the one i wanted for the price i wanted over here :D

Zz

Im using a "Linksys WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router" because im using PEOTV SLT asked me to run DSL from their router and use my router as the access point :( , still they dnt know how to programme N class to support PEO

guys...i'm looking for a wireless adsl router for my slt adsl connection at my house...i already have a normal adsl modem, will i need that when i get a wireless router?...also can anyone enlighten me about this port thing,cause i've heard people make a fuss over this 4-port router thing,and i dont know what it means...

and guys can anyone suggest me a place i can get one of these cheap...even used is ok

thanks

Ports = the number of wired connections (unless I'm mistaken) so if you get a 4 port wifi router, you can connect 4 machines which don't have wifi to it..

where to buy new: unity plaza.. under 10,000

used.. well I don't know anyone selling them used, though sometimes if you check HITAD mag you may spot one..

Yes, that should be OK. the desktop you would connect with a wire to one of the 4 ports (if you buy a 4 port) and the laptop can connect via wireless.

oops: both questions already answered excellently by Gihan :) guess I shoulda check for replies. Ah well. On another note Gihan.. would you mind telling us about PeoTV? hows the quality? (made another thread with that question here, can you post there?)

Edited by Saturn

thanks to all you guys for your inputs

yes a prowl around unity plaza is a good idea

ok here's what i'm going to ask them for...based on your input

* a four port wireless router

* an n-class router

* WIFI accesspoint that supports G and WPA

is there anything else i should ask them?

and since i only need one wired connection is there a router with one port for cheaper price?

sorry guys if my questions seem too trivial to you....but my knowledge in this is abysimal :)

* an n-class router

and since i only need one wired connection is there a router with one port for cheaper price?

sorry guys if my questions seem too trivial to you....but my knowledge in this is abysimal :)

dnt ask any of those from them, just ask them for a wireless router, then the price, most of those dnt know what the hell is N, G, WPA

* an n-class router

You mean WLAN USB adapter not a WIFI Access point? Right Machan? (Thing Connect to the Desktop PC To make it WIFI enable??) it's cool if you can get N Class WLAN Adapter for desktop but price would be the problem..

dnt ask any of those from them, just ask them for a wireless router, then the price, most of those dnt know what the hell is N, G, WPA

righto :)

You mean WLAN USB adapter not a WIFI Access point? Right Machan? (Thing Connect to the Desktop PC To make it WIFI enable??)

hold on hold on.....is that what it is...then i dont need that machan...my desktop will be using a wired connection from one of the ports,so no need for a wifi adapter...thanks dude

Edited by HelRazor

This was one baby i had in mind.. but didnt have the bucks to go for..

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...=Specifications

I doubt whether you could still find Wireless N routers over here. For one, it is quite costly in comparison to the normal routers and the adapters too are quite a fair amount. Basically all the newer routers have support for encryption and security so you have nothing to worry about :)

Zz

* an n-class router

Ask for a wireless ADSL router. They may not have N routers.. or they may be expensive.. for now you will probably be OK with an ADSL wifi router with support for A/B/G (99% of them will) - tell them its for SLT adsl so they should give one that is (again, they probably wouldnt bring them down if not, but all the same worth asking.

D-Link is usually the budget bargain offer everyone has

check out asian computer systems, try to speak to the old guy there ("Uncle") tell him you need a cheap ADSL wifi router for use with SLT, he will give you one with a huge price, e.g. 15-20k marked on the box, ask him for the lowest price he can give, he will probably give you a decent low price on it (I am assuming under 10k)

you can also check with PC-partner (lower floor) or any of the other shops (however most are just fronts for pc-partner :) so its probably easier to check with pc partner. (note - IT land - I think thats what its called, a shop on lower ground floor, have some OK pricing also

As Gihan says, most are clueless about fancy stuff like WPA, etc, just check the box, all will be listed there - just make sure you pick a decent brand: i.e. usrobotics, dlink, linksys, etc. AFAIK d-link are the best deal around pricewise (You will recognise their white-blue boxes, also planet (white/green box) both are fine

Edited by Saturn

Got my Prolink WL- 4 port router for around 11k from SLT when I went to get the ADSL connection for my home and had an Ovislink WLAN USB adapter bought before. Last couple of days it wasn’t working properly. One call to SLT yesterday responded within an hour, came to my place, checked and asked me to get my router changed. router is still under warrenty, so no worries.

Ask for a wireless ADSL router. They may not have N routers.. or they may be expensive.. for now you will probably be OK with an ADSL wifi router with support for A/B/G (99% of them will) - tell them its for SLT adsl so they should give one that is (again, they probably wouldnt bring them down if not, but all the same worth asking.

As Gihan says, most are clueless about fancy stuff like WPA, etc, just check the box, all will be listed there - just make sure you pick a decent brand: i.e. usrobotics, dlink, linksys, etc. AFAIK d-link are the best deal around pricewise (You will recognise their white-blue boxes, also planet (white/green box) both are fine

Aren't there two port wireless routers around, which can be cheaper?

from what I gather, Hola actually needs only one port to physically connect the desktop, and wireless for note book...

allright guys i went to unity plaza today and got a 4 port wifi router called d-link(which you guys recomended) for 7300/-...took me awhile to figure it our and install it but i finall got the PC connected via the ethernet cable and the laptop and ps3 via wifi.....thanks to all you guys for your help in this baffling matter to me...for that i'm eternally grateful...

allright guys i went to unity plaza today and got a 4 port wifi router called d-link(which you guys recomended) for 7300/-...took me awhile to figure it our and install it but i finall got the PC connected via the ethernet cable and the laptop and ps3 via wifi.....thanks to all you guys for your help in this baffling matter to me...for that i'm eternally grateful...

7300 .. excellent!

since you got this far.. why not give WPA2 a try - you can also enable mac addresses, though that's more of obfusication than real security

WPA2 is worth it just go to your admin panel then

Home

Wireless

scroll down to bottom, select WPA 2 and Pre-Shared Key

enter an alphanumeric password

save, reboot

your laptop should then ask for a password when you connect

you can also improve security/save power by setting the router signal strength to minimum under advanced - wireless performance i think

if you are using wifi in your room only, set the strength to minimum, if you need for the whole house, you can increase it a bit more

7300 .. excellent!

since you got this far.. why not give WPA2 a try - you can also enable mac addresses, though that's more of obfusication than real security

Home

Wireless

save, reboot

you can also improve security/save power by setting the router signal strength to minimum under advanced - wireless performance i think

if you are using wifi in your room only, set the strength to minimum, if you need for the whole house, you can increase it a bit more

yes WPA2 is the way to go

If you want to make things more interesting you can always add mac address filtering.. though that's somewhat easy to bypass, it does add that 1% more security.

Lastly, you could try hidden SSID, but I could never get that to work haha.

7300 .. excellent!

Home

Wireless

save, reboot

ok done......now it's connected through wpa2 security password i made up..and i've limited the number of possible connections to two.....good thing as well,because when i scan for the router from the laptop it shows another router as well(probably my neighbours)...it was with a 20% signal strenght...now they cant hack me right...

thanks a lot you two :)

• 1 month later...
Hi IT experts,

I finaly bought my brand new Toshiba notebook which got WIFI.Maybe I am asking the dumb question, but is there a way I can setup my ADSL to be WIFI with any kind of gadget?

yes, it is possible. you need to buy an ADSL router with wireless connection capabilities. you can find one for around 8k in unity plaza or MC