• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking For The Right Tyre Profile

Vtechman

Oops I had no idea it was that detrimental! Me just thought that if you were changing profiles then all you had to worry about was changing a set of tyres (either front or back)..........thanks for the advise Pila it's really hard to get some educated, honest advice from the sales outlets......all they wanna do is sell them pricey tyres to you! In their opinion this wasn't a prob.

No.

go for the same profile tyre you have in the back.

mixing profiles will screw your car's cambering (and handling) and will cause abnormal tyre wastage!

Very true... If you're wanting to change the profile of you're tyres for better comfort, go for 16" Rims and a 225/50/16 tyres. This will give you +6mm of hight from your current tyre size. If you want further info, send me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you a tyre and rim size calculator program.

Cheers!

Pila is correct.

Question - why do you want to change the profile?

same question i had in mind.

plus wont having new pofile tires make the car pull to a side if/when you have a plaf and use the regular profile tire.

Pila, just curious.....to keep all wheels the same circumference cant you use a lower profile tire with a larger rim than the stock ones? but that'd mean 4 new rims + 4 tires...

same question i had in mind.

plus wont having new pofile tires make the car pull to a side if/when you have a plaf and use the regular profile tire.

Pila, just curious.....to keep all wheels the same circumference cant you use a lower profile tire with a larger rim than the stock ones? but that'd mean 4 new rims + 4 tires...

Sorry dude cant quite understand the question :violent-smiley-099: You'll have to rephrase that please

Sorry dude cant quite understand the question ;) You'll have to rephrase that please

ok see, on a wheel, (as i would think) whats important is the circumference of the wheel right… so say your stock rim is a 16 inch one (8 inch radius) and your tyre has a profile of 3 inches… this you get a total radius of 11 inches.. So if you want some low-pro tyres.. So you get a tyre with 1 inch profile…. An make sure you get bigger rims to suit it… in this case 10 inch radius tyres… so there’s be no alteration in the final radius (and circumference) of the wheel from the stock wheel.. (8 + 3 = 10 + 1)

or is this only good in theory???

No. Its not about having the same height/size ratio. Its about having the correct combination of balance- as tyres are obviously flexible and they will alter & flex under different road conditions. Therefore you need all 4 wheels to react the same way different tyre sizes will disrupt this harmony....

Anyway...

I think its now proven by most members on various threads that increasing rim size from its original disrupts your comfort and effects your shocks in the long run. This means 13" stick with 13" and so on...Im sure a increase of the rim by 1 inch wont mtter...

Porkster adviced me that putting 195/55 wil give the same feling of the 13"..But still people are so negative on increasing the tyre size

had some questions, and some were answered, but not all. here PPL, in my new carina it has stock tyres and rims which is 175/70/14, but if i want to put some alloys i think atleast i will have to change to the size of 185/65/14.

older carina i changed its tyres which was ther wen we bought 185/65/14 to 195/60/14 of course handling is REALLLY gud, the way i take turns the car would have already in garage, but unless for the fast times, all other times i feel dat the car is really heavy kind of to drive, 'cos of the large tyres i have used. i mean its quite heavy to drive u know.

please advice, if to keep stock, or if changing wot size to be taken?

thanx.

Edited by Kim

had some questions, and some were answered, but not all. here PPL, in my new carina it has stock tyres and rims which is 175/70/14, but if i want to put some alloys i think atleast i will have to change to the size of 185/65/14.

older carina i changed its tyres which was ther wen we bought 185/65/14 to 195/60/14 of course handling is REALLLY gud, the way i take turns the car would have already in garage, but unless for the fast times, all other times i feel dat the car is really heavy kind of to drive, 'cos of the large tyres i have used. i mean its quite heavy to drive u know.

please advice, if to keep stock, or if changing wot size to be taken?

thanx.

Dude.. dont think of these things too scientifcally.. a few points this way or that way is not going to result in a dramatic change. Of course the quality and material of the tyre being used does matter.

Go for 195/15/55- its a good allround combination.

Dude.. dont think of these things too scientifcally.. a few points this way or that way is not going to result in a dramatic change. Of course the quality and material of the tyre being used does matter.

Go for 195/15/55- its a good allround combination.

hmmm..OK boss, i will try it this time.

yeh. wot tyres are gud? where can i find gud alloys?

thankx.

Edited by Kim

• 9 months later...

Hi,Mate

Tyres do not have to be the same size or pattern front and back-some very high end cars are desinged with different tyres front and back! Most cars have the same tyres front and back for cost reasons-but look at a F1 car-front tyres are thinner than the back ones- Jaguar xk models have different sizes and patterns on the same brand(pirelli). How ever before deciding to change the size of your tyre ask why-If it is handling the lower the profile the better they are-if it is comfort the lower profiles-i.e 45 or lower will give a harsher ride and leave a lot of damage on your wheels(rims) from the pot holed roads of Sri Lanka. Make sure you fit the narrower tyres to the front to avoid oversteer.Best advice I can give you if your car came with 215/45r17 s keep them adthe alternatives will not be that good-if it is a 4 WD then DO NOT FIT DIFFERENT SIZE TYRES TO ANY AXEL AS YOU MAY SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE TRANSMISSION.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...