• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drifting Vs. Power-sliding

Ministry

Drifting vs. Power-sliding (taken from other forum, translated article- no exact source known)

First off, I've got no idea if something like this has been posted yet or not, so if it has, 1000 apologies and a side of fries.

I read something quite interesting the other day, something I never knew. I always thought that drifting and power-sliding was the same thing, turns out it's not.

Let me explain as best I can:

Sliding: A state where the tyres lose grip and slide. Power-sliding is considered a controlled slide, is usually done with a RWD car and the direction the vehicle is traveling in can be controlled by throttle input and steering. Has little use in racing as the vehicle generally loses momentum. Mostly seen as entertainment, both to watch and to do.

Drifting: All four wheels have grip, but the angle of the vehicle as a whole is slightly different than the direction the vehicle is traveling in (resembles oversteer but with all four wheels having grip). Typically, a drift is characterized by the front and rear-wheels being at approximately the same angle, usually with the front-wheels turned in slightly more (front wheels turned into the direction of travel as opposed to opposite-lock in power-sliding). Direction of travel mostly controlled by throttle input alone, accompanied by minimal steering adjustment.This is considered as the fastest way around a corner and employed by many race-drivers in numerous disciplines of racing.

I don't have the more in-depth details of it (will try to get it), but it comes down to the "drifting" we hear so much about isn't drifting at all! If you're confused at this stage as I was when I read it, think of it this way: Tyres are flexible, therefore, the direction the wheels are pointing in and the actual direction the tyres are traveling in can be quite different at times.

Need proof? Drive on a stretch of road when the wind is really strong and you'll experience it- steering wheel is kept stationary, side wind catches your car and suddenly you're traveling more left or right than you intended without you actually changing direction via the steering wheel.

Also, almost anybody can perform a slide. Turn, apply some handbrake or if your car is RWD and has enough power, simply throttle it, and voila, you just performed a slide.

Drifting is a different matter altogether and something I personally haven't experienced yet. It takes extreme skill in order to master this art as you can probably imagine. Boils down to getting the balance of the car just right (weight transfer between the wheels, both front-to-rear and left-to-right) and steering the car via the throttle without losing grip on any of the tyres...

Interesting I hope? (Taken from other site)

Look out for some extra technical details soon.

Edited by Ministry

yes dude i copied paste from that forum

good information are supposed to pass by

oh by the way did i put my name in the end if the article mentioning that its mine?????

thats something that we should not discuss here so keep it to urself

cheers

Edited by Ministry

yes dude

cheers

Really? This is a forum so I'll discuss it. Please do not post other's [articles] as your own and try to cheat us, thanks. Wasn't that wat you once told someone who posted a video of his own? Next time you could just tell the truth.

Sorry, but I had to bring this up, because I remembered having read the article in the present topic at

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27786 (hope its ok to post this as it is not a local forum). I also saw that a few days the person (Kooper) has said "It seems I might have been incorrect by saying drifting and power-sliding isn't the same thing. Not sure at this point to be honest. Maybe someone else can clear things up after I submitted the article."

You missed that one yea? I don't think Kooper would be happy that you didn't even bother citing him as the word-to-word author of the above. But that's not the problem.

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...ic=2222&hl=

Is a discussion that has been started by you. I was a little surprised to find that the original article was from http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items06/220706-7.html,

written by a person I know from Australia. Don't tell me that it is you because I know it's not :ninja: I'm sure he won't appreciate the fact that from your post, it appears more like you yourself have written it, but I'm not his lawyer to argue about it in here and that's why I didn't bring it up before. Then you went and told a long standing member not to post other people's videos as his own, though it was obviously one of his own. I didn't say anything. But then I asked if you're Kooper, and you told me not to discuss it in here. Why? :(

You join us in greatly condemning those on hi5 who post pics of other peoples cars, but on the other side you've joined in the fray! The moderators can feel free to delete this, but I think it should stay as a reminder of why exactly Sri Lanka is suffering from arrested development. Because so many people, from the top on down condemn others while contributing to the same mistakes. And while we could easily forgive them if they just admitted it, oh no, they just keep fuelling the fire by denying it :D

Edited by Morgoth

the drifting part requires a certain degree of slip (loss of grip) to get the car sideway else with the grip its impossible to negotiate a corner... furthermore the car should be in a "wheelie" mode once in the drift so as to "slip" around the corner.. once da corner is negotiated via clutch control ya ve gotta get back the grip... drifting part seems wrong in the article.. think ministry would ve copy n pasted and forgotten to put the source.. maybe..

Zz

think ministry would ve copy n pasted and forgotten to put the source.. maybe..

Zz

If that were the case it would be obvious and I would never have made a scene. Wen u make as if it was infact written by you, and do so more than once(while telling others not to cheat) that sort of makes the whole process a little hypocritical.

oh what are u talking morgoth,,

now i can understand why SL is going in the drain

Jealousy will kill ya

get a life, no offense

thats something that we should not discuss here so keep it to urself if u know the source site, we aint promote others site and its against autolanka rules

Edited by Ministry

oh what are u talking morgoth,,

Jealousy will kill ya

get a life, no offense

thats something that we should not discuss here so keep it to urself if u know the source site, we aint promote others site and its against autolanka rules

That doesn't make much sense.

What I do with my life is really none of your business Ministry, so cut it with the "no offense" crap or don't say anything offensive at all. I don't appreciate people who steal other people's ideas, and then use lies and make lame excuses to cover them up. Oh, and there are many more things that will kill me before jealousy does.

something wrong with you??

Yea, there is a lot wrong with me, how kind of you to ask :ninja: Like I said, a lot of things will kill me before jealousy. Better if you would just explain yourself instead of asking after my health. This topic is becoming somehting that would make better reading postwhoring.

Jealousy will kill ya

get a life, no offense

i am with morgoth on this one. its ok to post articles from other sites, but pls give them credit or post the link from where you got it.

i also noticed that you had added the part about getting it off another forum just today. you could have gotten away with saying you forgot to add the link and leave it be.

:ninja::(:D ha ha ha I just love the way you add the following to the post:

"First off, I've got no idea if something like this has been posted yet or not, so if it has, 1000 apologies and a side of fries.

I read something quite interesting the other day, something I never knew. I always thought that drifting and power-sliding was the same thing, turns out it's not.

Let me explain as best I can:"

And then:

"Interesting I hope? (Taken from other site)

Look out for some extra technical details soon"

This is terrible & failed atttempt at plagiarism! and a 1000 apolgoies if I sound offensive- no offence man! :P:P Try harder next time buddy!

Edited by Pilawoos

Ministry, I aint gonna get involved in the right and wrong thing, coz thats already been done, but son, when ppl critique what u have done, keep it together and don't loose it.

Do appreciate the contribution tho.

Edited by Pericles

well guys

have i ever mentioned anywhere that this article belongs to me??

and more than that, that article was a translation of someone's work posted in other website in a different language (and i dont know that exact source)

thats why i dont want to put a credit for that translator since he too copied it

before you guys argue please just do a good investigation, this goes to some moderators and some senior members who are discouraging some of us not to contribute to this forum by not investigating the problem properly and just by talking against some new members by supporting some known users here.

Read that post in that forum from top to bottom and if you are good in english you will understand :ninja:

and about the GOD SAVE SL article,, its been forwarded to my email from some of my friend so do you think i should put her email and name in the end of that article?? and spam her email account?

p.s: copying a translated article which has no exact source from where its been translated is not a plagarism.....u guys need a break ...am so pissed

Edited by Ministry

Let me explain as best I can:

at least when you copy something from somewhere...edit the article to make it look like it was taken from somewhere else...doesn't that line i've quoted make it look like you wrote it?

and who are these moderators who discourage you from posting? names and examples please...no accusations...

Edited by sharkster

well guys

p.s: copying a translated article which has no exact source from where its been translated is not a plagarism.....u guys need a break ...am so pissed

Listen bud..

I fail to see what this 'translating' business you are talking about is.. its an english site forum which you have 'cut & pasted' word for word.

There is an exact source: 'Ultimatecarpage.com' Just because someone chooses to be ignorant- does not mean that its alright to just copy as their own. You have clearly plagiarized.

PS: I dont think the mods have ever penalized anyone for posting a foreign reference site.

yes dude i copied paste from that forum

good information are supposed to pass by

oh by the way did i put my name in the end if the article mentioning that its mine?????

cheers

You did a cowardly thing by editing your original post-in which you said tha you're the dude on ultimate carpage. Very cleverly done too. Just look at the post #4 and you'll see what he wrote earlier in place of the above quote. You also added that part about "no known source" much later in the day. All you could have done at the beginning was reply to me saying you received that lankaweb thing via email, and said that you took the otherone off UCP, instead of saying you're the guy who wrote it on that forum, and posting unnecessary remarks. Your articles were informative and all good, so I'd have dropped it right away because that would not have been your fault. But you were determined to bluff your way through it, so what can I do :) And I've never seen any moderator or senior member discourage people from posting here, AutoLanka has never condemned anyone for posting from another site, provided they don't go out of their way to pretend they wrote it themselves.

Edited by Morgoth

i read that forum and i understand that he has translated/paraphrased (what ever the case maybe) but you did a straight cut paste. then you should also add where u got it from just as a courtesy, specially when it has statements like 1000 apologies if posted before.

or if you don't want to post the link, there is a quote button which you can use. you test will appear as below

blah blah blah

can we drop this now

i read that forum and i understand that he has translated/paraphrased (what ever the case maybe) but you did a straight cut paste. then you should also add where u got it from just as a courtesy, specially when it has statements like 1000 apologies if posted before.

or if you don't want to post the link, there is a quote button which you can use. you test will appear as below

can we drop this now

Good idea fuzzo, i think the point has been made clearly and well, to be honest i thought power sliding was a form of drifting up to now

The Don

whatever meanies

i dont care what u guys say, am off from here

this forum looks like a bloody old school with shit loads of rules and some losers trying to let down people who post useful information. I had some good news for autolanka but now its no point to contribute here..

This goes to the admin-- please delete my account

p.s: Sharkster u need to learn how to talk to your members properly,, the way u reply is a bit rude like commanding, listen up we are not under you in this forum and being a moderator wont make u a boss in a forum.. Bye forever folks

:)

Edited by Ministry

whatever meanies

i dont care what u guys say, am off from here

this forum looks like a bloody old school with shit loads of rules and some losers trying to let down people who post useful information. I had some good news for autolanka but now its no point to contribute here..

This goes to the admin-- please delete my account

p.s: Sharkster u need to learn how to talk to your members properly,, the way u reply is a bit rude like commanding, listen up we are not under you in this forum and being a moderator wont make u a boss in a forum.. Bye forever folks

:)

"meanies"? Who is this, a 16 y/o girl? :D

Seems to have problems with authority, effects are wide reaching.... This aint the movies

Anyway, we have the latest in the "bye forever" bunch. Am curious to see if this one stays away. By my count, every single person who used that phrase in the AL forums has come back for at least one more post :ninja:

Edited by Pericles