• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wrong Speedometers Used By Cops

ThilakR

Hi all,

I got court yesterday at Kurunegala road for high speed driving. But it clearly indicate the speed as 69 kmph as my car has a Digital Speedometer. But the cop insist that I drive at 73kmph. :D

Guys have you too experience this ? I am quite sure I did not drive fast and had a leasure drive keeping the speed between 65 to 69. At the time I got stopped, the speed was 69. How could be 73.? 4 kms difference.

The fine was Rs.1,000 + 100 as service charge of the Post Office. :lol:

May be government making money by using wrong meters. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I got court yesterday at Kurunegala road for high speed driving. But it clearly indicate the speed as 69 kmph as my car has a Digital Speedometer. But the cop insist that I drive at 73kmph. :P

Guys have you too experience this ? I am quite sure I did not drive fast and had a leasure drive keeping the speed between 65 to 69. At the time I got stopped, the speed was 69. How could be 73.? 4 kms difference.

how d u know at which point the camera recorded ur speed? perhaps when u were far u may have had hit 73

my experience is when i was caught for having done 79 or summin when actually i was doing about 95! anyway i have never pd. a fine in my life... most times i get scot free and other times 200/= does the job for me :D

Hi all,

I got court yesterday at Kurunegala road for high speed driving. But it clearly indicate the speed as 69 kmph as my car has a Digital Speedometer. But the cop insist that I drive at 73kmph. :D

Hi,

Your car's speedo would be is calibrated for a particular wheel diameter. If you are using a different Rim size or tyre size to what is recommended, it could result in a minor variation in the speedo reading.

OT: My worst experience with the cops and their speed guns is entirely different - I got pulled over in Hikkaduwa and was shown a speed gun with a reading of sixty something when we were travelling at 40. There were 3 of us in the vehicle all experienced drivers and were quite sure that we weren't speeding (plus a radar detector that didn't go off - which meant the cop didn't actually trigger his radar gun at us)

We just didn't want to go through the hassle of disputing his reading etc as we were on the way to a funeral so we just paid the fine and got it over with...

At the funeral we met 3 other people who had got stopped by the same guy in the same place and had just paid the guy a small 'something' and come away.

There should be some rule where they have to prove at least the exact time at which the reading was taken (ideally from the radar gun) does anyone know if such a rule exists ?

Have a similer experiance coming back from kaunayake one night i was doing about 85 and was stopped.

I told the cop i wanted to see the display of the radar gun and it showed 5 not 85.

The he said the first digit does not work. Then I told him to give a ticket and on the top mentioned i was doing 5KMPH (which was displayed in the gun) and I'll be happy to come to court.

He just gave license back and told me to go. So dont waste even 200 rupees on these guys.

Have a similer experiance coming back from kaunayake one night i was doing about 85 and was stopped.

I told the cop i wanted to see the display of the radar gun and it showed 5 not 85.

The he said the first digit does not work. Then I told him to give a ticket and on the top mentioned i was doing 5KMPH (which was displayed in the gun) and I'll be happy to come to court.

He just gave license back and told me to go. So dont waste even 200 rupees on these guys.

Hi,

Your car's speedo would be is calibrated for a particular wheel diameter. If you are using a different Rim size or tyre size to what is recommended, it could result in a minor variation in the speedo reading.

OT: My worst experience with the cops and their speed guns is entirely different - I got pulled over in Hikkaduwa and was shown a speed gun with a reading of sixty something when we were travelling at 40. There were 3 of us in the vehicle all experienced drivers and were quite sure that we weren't speeding (plus a radar detector that didn't go off - which meant the cop didn't actually trigger his radar gun at us)

We just didn't want to go through the hassle of disputing his reading etc as we were on the way to a funeral so we just paid the fine and got it over with...

At the funeral we met 3 other people who had got stopped by the same guy in the same place and had just paid the guy a small 'something' and come away.

There should be some rule where they have to prove at least the exact time at which the reading was taken (ideally from the radar gun) does anyone know if such a rule exists ?

Get a radar detector and speed all you want :-) ...

Yeah dude.. i have heard of this happening.. it happened to my friends CR-41 where the larger rims were installed and thus the speedometer often shows a lower speed than what we really are travelling in.. pretty risky at times but isnt there a way to get the speedo recalibrated?

Zz

Hi all,

I got court yesterday at Kurunegala road for high speed driving. But it clearly indicate the speed as 69 kmph as my car has a Digital Speedometer. But the cop insist that I drive at 73kmph. :alc:

The fine was Rs.1,000 + 100 as service charge of the Post Office. :alc:

May be government making money by using wrong meters. :P

Hi friend!

The minor change of your tyre profile could make a plus or minus 5km/h difference or the cop was showing you a previous reading of violator -which cops commonly do!

I know the guy who supplies the most commonly used radar hand held speed detector type in SL the "Stalker Basic" and the units are calliberated and tested regularly.I dont think the radar gun is wrong!

The reason behind the difference in the reading is because when cop is taking the reading if the radar gun moves, it shows a different reading than the actual. The correct way is, the radar gun should be stable on something (tripod) when taking the reading.

The other thing is, if you challenge the reading the cop has to seal the instrument and take it to the courts.

Get a radar detector and speed all you want :-) ...

Doesn't always work, coz u don't always get enough advance warning. :alc: Fortunately, some smooth talking from a couple of ppl allowed us to get away. It was only about 3kmph over the limit anyway. And it was in the cab too :P

how d u know at which point the camera recorded ur speed? perhaps when u were far u may have had hit 73

my experience is when i was caught for having done 79 or summin when actually i was doing about 95! anyway i have never pd. a fine in my life... most times i get scot free and other times 200/= does the job for me :alc:

Hey Isuru,

Believe me I never hit 70. I has a leasure drive and almost the speed was on 60s. That is why I feel bad. :P That ideots were in serious mood and no chance to play.

Just paid the fine. That's it.

It is Srilankan law.

He He.

Thilak

Hi,

Hi,

I have the standard 14 inch rims. Not done any mod.

Machan I think they don't trigger each and everyone. But claim that we did over speed and make the fine. It is the weakness of the law here. We cannot oppose and endup in courts.

Hmmmm

Thilak

Hi Guys,

And there is no expressed law about speeding in the country, and no signs to tell people what the limit is,

My dad got copped for doing 55 KMPH in a supposedly 50KMPH zone (Borella junction) atleast that was what was told to him, and he was just amazed, no signs nothing and as you can obviously see my dad wasn't driving aggressively at all,

Of course he has a way of getting out of these little situations, cos he just pulls out his Courts ID and they let him go, but if I was the one who was driving no such luck, I honestly drive at about 40-50KMPH on the base line road because of the bloddy cops and I cant risk my license stuck in some police station somewhere (and as a principle I do not bribe the cops).

I am not sure if anybody knows what the national speed limits are on particular roads, I think the limit is 55 rural and 40 or something in urban areas.

The only problem is if you go to courts it becomes a situation of our word against the cops word, which isnt much of a case, and I am not sure exactly how the courts will look at it in such a scenario, cos just because he is a policeman doesnt mean his word holds any more weight over yours if the police doesnt have conclusive proof who commited the offence, I guess if you had a data logged fitted into your car which can be produced as evidence to show the speed you were doing,

I think western courts require photographic evidence thesedays to convict somebody of speeding and they need a head shot as well if the driver disputed he or she was driving the car at that time,

The Don

Doesn't always work, coz u don't always get enough advance warning. :alc: Fortunately, some smooth talking from a couple of ppl allowed us to get away. It was only about 3kmph over the limit anyway. And it was in the cab too :P

well for what its worth.. it DOES give some advance warning most of the time :-) a high end model from a real good brand would do good.. but is pretty costly yeah..

smooth talkin z da BEST option hehe.. works all the time.. especially when ya ve got 200 to 300 /- in ya purse .. lmao..

Zz

Well guys, problems sorrounding radar detectors is basically a one of advanced warning, remember the cops only need a few seconds to get a speed reading and even if your detector detects the oncoming radar, you still need a bit of time before you can slow down,

and i think this post clearly indicates that cops aren't always honest or consistent in applying the law in this regard also, so god help us,

I think the speed limits should be revised anyway to accurately reflect the driving conditions of the roads as well as the capabilities of modern cars,

Regards,

The Don

Well guys, problems sorrounding radar detectors is basically a one of advanced warning, remember the cops only need a few seconds to get a speed reading and even if your detector detects the oncoming radar, you still need a bit of time before you can slow down,

and i think this post clearly indicates that cops aren't always honest or consistent in applying the law in this regard also, so god help us,

I think the speed limits should be revised anyway to accurately reflect the driving conditions of the roads as well as the capabilities of modern cars,

Regards,

The Don

yup.. a few secondz all they need but from what i have read, the top quality detectors with sensitive receptors could detect the radar at times from 1 km apart.. so if you guys are willing to invest in one its best it be of good qualtiy and of a good brand (which is obviously usually costly!).. the only situation where the radar detectors effectiveness would be compromised is when the "kossas" use laser radar which is basically a laser pointed at the approaching car.. detection is only possible once the laser hits the car and a few milliseconds is all that required to get the approaching speed... i doubt though that this type of radar is currently being used here in LK.. porkster would ve got somethin wider to add about the bands of the radar detector...

i clearly agree with you bro.. smooth wide straight roads with a speed limit of 60 just aggravates the driver .. lmao.. but in this country.. it is the fines that count the most.. but in a way its good.. since SL is a country very prone to drunk drivers.. the speed limit would do good in preventing such drunk-driving related accidents.. but then again .. what about the sane drivers? hehe..

Zz

The reason behind the difference in the reading is because when cop is taking the reading if the radar gun moves, it shows a different reading than the actual. The correct way is, the radar gun should be stable on something (tripod) when taking the reading.

The other thing is, if you challenge the reading the cop has to seal the instrument and take it to the courts.

This is exactly what I wanted to say. In other countries, even the hand held types are always firmly mounted on the cop bikes when a reading is taken. One guy tried to tell me I was doing 65 on Elvitigala once (wthe speed limit sign states is around 50 or 55 I think) when I was doing under 50. I asked him what about the guys who were overtaking me, why didn't you stop them, and how come he moves the radar gun when I have not even passed him? Must've thought I know more than him or something cause he let me go without any trouble :P Don't always succumb to what the cops say, because theye sometimes think you know nothing about road rules and they can pull a fast one on u. Excuse the pun.

But if you know that you're not in the wrong, don't just succumb to everything they say. But if you know you're wrong I guess its best not to argue.

on elvitigala mawathe there'd always be someone who'd overtake you at anytime of day (or night) so just wait for that person...and then pick up speed...

the first time i was caught speeding was when i was driving my friend's green galant...driving back from negombo i was doing 80 and somewhere in seeduwa i was caught but as i slowed down the cop thought it was a cop car and let me go...we never even came to a complete halt! some luck...

Is it also true that if the cop holding the gun, shakes his hand or so, then the reading too will be affected?

Ya it is. Here's an interesting article I found:

"We've covered the problems with speed cameras multiple times in the past, including the one that accused a brick wall of traveling at 58 MPH or the one that clocked a car at an astounding 480 MPH. Of course, those are obviously wrong.

However, much more problematic are speed cameras that are off in a way that could be reasonable. That's much more difficult to prove -- though, it helps if you understand a bit of math. The Raw Feed points us to a story of an engineer who was able to use the photos from the speed camera itself to prove it nearly tripled his speed from 18 MPH to 46 MPH in a 30 MPH zone (using the distance between road markers and the elapsed time between two photos)."

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20051229/138257_F.shtml

http://www.therawfeed.com/2005/12/engineer...a-error-in.html

• 1 year later...
Provided no guns they have. :D:D

nowadays it's a huge chance you're taking. the coppers will cal the other checkpoints or whatever and inform of a fleeing vehicle and description of it and you're done for :angry-smiley-048:

unless of course you know the area very well and know how to evade these things :)

i know this is an old thread but i got nabbed at hikka as well and i don't recall my radar detector going off either .. i was nabbed at 124.... and my collegue who came an hour later got nabbed by the same guy... it may have been the same guy..who knows

i know this is an old thread but i got nabbed at hikka as well and i don't recall my radar detector going off either .. i was nabbed at 124.... and my collegue who came an hour later got nabbed by the same guy... it may have been the same guy..who knows

Very likely.... it's sort of an organized racket there. They set up a table with 3 chairs in a house by the side of the road where they sit and write the charge sheets then and there. The traffic OIC himself was there the time i got caught..... :)

• 7 months later...
Very likely.... it's sort of an organized racket there. They set up a table with 3 chairs in a house by the side of the road where they sit and write the charge sheets then and there. The traffic OIC himself was there the time i got caught..... :)

If any of you have ever gone to the Traffic Police station near Nawaloka Roundabout you should have seen living proof of government earning big from fines. Get a radar detector! its worth the buck and the hassle.