• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What's The Fastest You Have Gone?

isurujosh

g-unit.

So you went to landRover site and posted what says there like as u master Landrover?? time to grow up dude....

You think only you have been on a Discovery 4? Anyway keeping that aside, we all hear would love to see some video evidence or a snapshot of a so called 200+ moment.

Its funny most ppl here just read the manuals and make it as a fact. The 245 Hp diesel can do about may be 215-220max and the 255HP with da 2 extra gears may be more but yhh the manual says 180M

Almost all powerful SUVs have speed limiters on for safety reasons. If you have managed to find a way past the problem once again I ask you. Please show us some proof.

Its funny most ppl here just read the manuals and make it as a fact. The 245 Hp diesel can do about may be 215-220max and the 255HP with da 2 extra gears may be more but yhh the manual says 180M

Not being awkward here junkfriend. How do you say that you reached 207 kmph limit when the gauge marked only upto 180?

I'm not so aware on this & that's why I'm asking. Does it marked more than 180 or you used a separate gauge for this? I'm not aware on the meter panel on a Discovery & that's why I'm asking.

No watchman, its the direction of the wind. If the wind is behind you, you should get a benefit in forward movement. I will admit I am not an expert in wind dynamics. All I can say is I've been able to achieve in excess of manufacturer quoted speeds on motorways with factors in my favor. And I can tell you a strong side wind is quite horrific when you are in a small car on a motorway at speed (you literally have to steer against it to keep the car in a straight line and you do feel it inside).

The Don, but when he travels at 207 kmph with an assist of wind power too, then the speed of the wind shoul be more than 207 kmph for sure to push the vehicle. Otherwise, the vehicle goes passing the wind. If not, still the vehicle has to fight with the wind up to certain extend. Am I right? No offence here & please correct me if I'm wrong. Just to clarify the thing.

The Don, but when he travels at 207 kmph with an assist of wind power too, then the speed of the wind shoul be more than 207 kmph for sure to push the vehicle. Otherwise, the vehicle goes passing the wind. If not, still the vehicle has to fight with the wind up to certain extend. Am I right? No offence here & please correct me if I'm wrong. Just to clarify the thing.

puh....new physicis here.

When we're travelling in a car , it's like we're travelling through a fluid(yes , air is a fluid). When we go faster , the amount of fluid passes through is increased, so in each second the vehicle has to do more work to overcome that wind resistance.

If the vehicle also travelling at the same direction of wind, the relative speed of two is low. That means vehicle dives through low volume of air in unit time. The remaining energy can be used to further increasing of speed.

So it doesn't matter the speed of wind, it can affect the vehicle's top speed. Yes if it's blow faster, the advantage is more, if slow the advantage is minimum.

This is the reason why , record book needs driving to 2 opposite directions when placing speed records..

In more simple language,

if your car has 100kmph max speed, (calibration done under zero wind speed conditions at factory).

If wind blows on 20kmph to direction you drive, you probably exceed 110kmph, or if it's opposing to your drive , you may never reach their said 100kmph.

Simple physics...

• Like 1

Not being awkward here junkfriend. How do you say that you reached 207 kmph limit when the gauge marked only upto 180?

I'm not so aware on this & that's why I'm asking. Does it marked more than 180 or you used a separate gauge for this? I'm not aware on the meter panel on a Discovery & that's why I'm asking.

The manuals says 112 but the actual gauge supports about 215km (130 m/h +).

You think only you have been on a Discovery 4? Anyway keeping that aside, we all hear would love to see some video evidence or a snapshot of a so called 200+ moment.

g-unit,

I didnt mean it that way but I hate it when some one just reads a manual somewhere in the net and post here like some pro

Edited by Junkfriend

now u are not serious about the wind effect right? ;) Edited by Junkfriend

what is the said new physics there? Agreed that if the wind also towards the direction of travelling, then there is an advantage of reducing the air resistance. But, what's wrong there? If the wind to push the vehicle, then it should be more than the travelling speed. Otherwise, still it has to fight with the wind. But it is less than the factory testing environment.

• Like 1

what is the said new physics there? Agreed that if the wind also towards the direction of travelling, then there is an advantage of reducing the air resistance. But, what's wrong there? If the wind to push the vehicle, then it should be more than the travelling speed. Otherwise, still it has to fight with the wind. But it is less than the factory testing environment.

think my explanation wasn't clear to you.

Get the facts straight - NO PUSHING needed here.

As you drive , you go through actual substance, faster you go the more thickness the substance become.

Thicker the substance , engine needs more energy to go through.

A-- In stable air , if you travel by 50Kmph. Your RELATIVE SPEED WITH AIR is 50KMPH.

B-- If air travelling at 20KMPH to your driving direction , your relative speed with air is 50-20 is 30KMPH.

C-- If you're travelling against that wind , now your relative speed is 50+20 is 70Kmph.

So when vehicle speedometer shows 50kmph at guage , you have three different thicknesses of actual substance which pass through you.

Let's say 20hp is needed to overcome each 10kmph wind resistance ,

A-B-C needs 100,60,140 horse powers respectively.

So say, a car with 140HP Can reach three different top speeds on above Three conditions.

Is that clear enough for you ?

So now you should take it seriously. If still you can't, Ok i assume you've Some serious IQ Than us .

• Like 1

think my explanation wasn't clear to you.

Get the facts straight - NO PUSHING needed here.

As you drive , you go through actual substance, faster you go the more thickness the substance become.

Thicker the substance , engine needs more energy to go through.

A-- In stable air , if you travel by 50Kmph. Your RELATIVE SPEED WITH AIR is 50KMPH.

B-- If air travelling at 20KMPH to your driving direction , your relative speed with air is 50-20 is 30KMPH.

C-- If you're travelling against that wind , now your relative speed is 50+20 is 70Kmph.

So when vehicle speedometer shows 50kmph at guage , you have three different thicknesses of actual substance which pass through you.

Let's say 20hp is needed to overcome each 10kmph wind resistance ,

A-B-C needs 100,60,140 horse powers respectively.

So say, a car with 140HP Can reach three different top speeds on above Three conditions.

Is that clear enough for you ?

So now you should take it seriously. If still you can't, Ok i assume you've Some serious IQ Than us .

Not sure who has got the serious IQ here.

Your first statement also a crystal clear. But what I asking was, what was the new physics on my point?

And the other doubt is, if the meter panel gauged only upto 180, then how does he read a 207 kmph value? Still I'm saying that, I'm not aware about the odometer gauge of this particular vehicle whether it has marked more than 207 value. I have mentioned it initially. If the meter gauge marked above 207, then that's fine. Coz, the reply from g-unit made me sense that it has marked only up to 180. That may be my bad, but I asked it just to clarify.

• Like 1

But what I asking was, what was the new physics on my point?

here it is ...

The Don, but when he travels at 207 kmph with an assist of wind power too, then the speed of the wind SHOULD BE MORE than 207 kmph for sure to push the vehicle.

don't know about speedometer thing,to be honest i've never been in discovery 4.

Edited by chan5
  • Like 1

Top Speed: 232 kmph

Machine: Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid

Mods: non

Road: E01

What prevented you from going further : traffic in front, but the car could deff do more than that.

Top Speed: 210-220 kmph

Machine: Subaru Sti 9 Spec C

Road: Udawalawa

What prevented you from going further : thought not to risk any more

Top Speed: 210-215

Machine: BMW X3 30d

Road: Nurburgring

What prevented you from going further : end of track!

Top Speed: 220 kmph

Machine: BMW X1 20d

Road: E01

What prevented you from going further : bend in front

plenty more, mostly from Europe.

When we're travelling in a car , it's like we're travelling through a fluid(yes , air is a fluid). When we go faster , the amount of fluid passes through is increased, so in each second the vehicle has to do more work to overcome that wind resistance.

If the vehicle also travelling at the same direction of wind, the relative speed of two is low. That means vehicle dives through low volume of air in unit time. The remaining energy can be used to further increasing of speed.

So it doesn't matter the speed of wind, it can affect the vehicle's top speed. Yes if it's blow faster, the advantage is more, if slow the advantage is minimum.

This is the reason why , record book needs driving to 2 opposite directions when placing speed records..

In more simple language,

if your car has 100kmph max speed, (calibration done under zero wind speed conditions at factory).

If wind blows on 20kmph to direction you drive, you probably exceed 110kmph, or if it's opposing to your drive , you may never reach their said 100kmph.

Simple physics...

Thanks for clarifying that Chan5. It's good to understand the principles.

here it is ...

don't know about speedometer thing,to be honest i've never been in discovery 4.

The word PUSH also should have to be in upper case on the quote. Then it changes the meaning of what you said.

Anyway, you have cleared off something were blind to me. Thanks for that.

Could anybody advise about the Odometer of this vehicle please.

The word PUSH also should have to be in upper case on the quote. Then it changes the meaning of what you said.

Anyway, you have cleared off something were blind to me. Thanks for that.

http://s14.postimage...1206_085820.jpg

Edited by Junkfriend

Gummybr actually WORKS at Land Rover... so yeah, he may know a bit more than some doofus who has a picture of a UK registered Disco as his profile picture and catches snake tails on highways...

Top Speed: 142 ish kmph

Machine: Mazda astina 1.5

Mods: K&N CAI, port and polished head, platinum tiped plugs,

Road: marine drive

What prevented you from going further : started seeing the pics of my funeral in my head if i were to not have any limbs, closed casket and all, especially with drum brakes stil at the back.

Top Speed: 165 ish kmph

Machine: Subaru legacy B4 TT

Mods: none

Road: marine drive

What prevented you from going further : remote controled braking system, my mum was in the car.. ! also the speedo only went to 180.

Edited by charitha19

Gummybr actually WORKS at Land Rover... so yeah, he may know a bit more than some doofus who has a picture of a UK registered Disco as his profile picture and catches snake tails on highways...

Supra_Natural,

I cant believe you are a Moderator and posting in such a irresponsible way. If u at least have a clean vision, you'll see that the pic is indeed taken in sri lanka. Here's a pic of da speedometer

Btw Gummybr may work at landrover but u dont !!! so at least stay away from things that you don't know.

Edited by Junkfriend

I cant believe you are a Moderator and posting in such a irresponsible way. If u at least have a clean vision, you'll see that the pic is indeed taken in sri lanka. Btw here's a pic of da speedometer

I think the guys wanted you to post a pic with the spedometer at the speed which you stipulated. Is your vehicle still on UK plates?