• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Galant 1989

Dila007

Hi guys 

this is my first post. I had a Maruti 800 and sold the car few months back. To be honest im bit tired of indian car quality. Now i had somewhere around 1 mil and looking to buy a Japan car. 

currently im thinking about Mitsubishi Galant 1989 - 1990 model or maybe ASP model. Appreciate if you guys could help me with more recommendations with similar range cars and more informations about Galant. ?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! Galant would be a good choice if you managed to find a good specimen. It has a reputation for being little thirsty and being engine swapped. Have you considered Mazda 323, Lancer C11, CK1? They were little more popular, hence the chance of finding a good specimen is little higher.

If you are looking for a car with good build quality, take in to account that these cars are  older than the maruti 800 and may have deteriorated due to poor upkeep. Still they age better.

Are you looking for a daily driver?

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Dila007 said:

Hi guys 

this is my first post. I had a Maruti 800 and sold the car few months back. To be honest im bit tired of indian car quality. Now i had somewhere around 1 mil and looking to buy a Japan car. 

currently im thinking about Mitsubishi Galant 1989 - 1990 model or maybe ASP model. Appreciate if you guys could help me with more recommendations with similar range cars and more informations about Galant. ?

now that's an interesting car - a friend of mine had one used it for a couple of years without any major niggles than to replace the shocks.

Other options off the top of my head : Lancer CB Series, Mazda 323 (So called Butterfly model) ,Sunny B13 (Doctor Sunny- usually overrated and overpriced) Corolla E90(Almost always Overpriced), Carina AT170 (sometimes overpriced), Tercel/Corsa and if you're into hatches Corolla 2/s come to the equation. All of these despite their age will be a better experience than the Maruti 800 (with all due respect). 

Time to time good cars pop up -so I'd suggest you keep following the classified sites as well as the dozens of Facebook Groups for a few select models than stick with one also if possible have a few test drives and experience a few cars. Some cars when you drive it you feel it's not for you and some you feel meet your expectations.

All these cars are OLD -they've survived insurgencies, oppressive regimes, civil wars, tsunamis, landslides, bomb explosions etc. so do keep aside at least 100,000 to sort out any immediate repairs. A lot of older cars are on duplicate CR and while that does not amount to anything in reality - in the local market people make it a bargaining point so if you're ok with someone using it as a haggling point when you sell - do consider those as well. There are some good cars out there going for a reasonable price due to the duplicate CR. 

Good luck and please keep us updated. The 1980-1990's gave us some nice cars and looking forward to seeing what you end up with :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, this is pretty interesting. Owning my Galant for 6 years now. Never a dull day with this car. What you're looking for is the version before mine. But still, it was ahead of its time in terms of its suspension, how everything was put together, etc. 

Obviously, any specimen from 1989-1990 would be having at least some issues, especially when it comes to interior bits and general upkeep. But then again, it's to be expected from a car pushing 30 years. 

There are still some cars owned by passionate owners. Such cars come to the market once in a while. If I were you, I'd also consider some of the other options mentioned by the others. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:27 AM, varotone said:

Welcome to the forum! Galant would be a good choice if you managed to find a good specimen. It has a reputation for being little thirsty and being engine swapped. Have you considered Mazda 323, Lancer C11, CK1? They were little more popular, hence the chance of finding a good specimen is little higher.

If you are looking for a car with good build quality, take in to account that these cars are  older than the maruti 800 and may have deteriorated due to poor upkeep. Still they age better.

Are you looking for a daily driver?

Im not a daily driver maybe use the car twice for week to impress a girl or to cover 20/30 Kms for fun rides. That’s why I thought Galant would be great due to its look and all. But yes i have a good impression about Mazda 323 but can’t find good vehicle for my budget broh ?

18 hours ago, matroska said:

now that's an interesting car - a friend of mine had one used it for a couple of years without any major niggles than to replace the shocks.

Other options off the top of my head : Lancer CB Series, Mazda 323 (So called Butterfly model) ,Sunny B13 (Doctor Sunny- usually overrated and overpriced) Corolla E90(Almost always Overpriced), Carina AT170 (sometimes overpriced), Tercel/Corsa and if you're into hatches Corolla 2/s come to the equation. All of these despite their age will be a better experience than the Maruti 800 (with all due respect). 

Time to time good cars pop up -so I'd suggest you keep following the classified sites as well as the dozens of Facebook Groups for a few select models than stick with one also if possible have a few test drives and experience a few cars. Some cars when you drive it you feel it's not for you and some you feel meet your expectations.

All these cars are OLD -they've survived insurgencies, oppressive regimes, civil wars, tsunamis, landslides, bomb explosions etc. so do keep aside at least 100,000 to sort out any immediate repairs. A lot of older cars are on duplicate CR and while that does not amount to anything in reality - in the local market people make it a bargaining point so if you're ok with someone using it as a haggling point when you sell - do consider those as well. There are some good cars out there going for a reasonable price due to the duplicate CR. 

Good luck and please keep us updated. The 1980-1990's gave us some nice cars and looking forward to seeing what you end up with :D 

Thanks a lot for your kind reply brother. Learned a lot ❤️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Ah, this is pretty interesting. Owning my Galant for 6 years now. Never a dull day with this car. What you're looking for is the version before mine. But still, it was ahead of its time in terms of its suspension, how everything was put together, etc. 

Obviously, any specimen from 1989-1990 would be having at least some issues, especially when it comes to interior bits and general upkeep. But then again, it's to be expected from a car pushing 30 years. 

There are still some cars owned by passionate owners. Such cars come to the market once in a while. If I were you, I'd also consider some of the other options mentioned by the others. 

Thanks a lot for your kind reply brother ❤️