• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Say no to wiper blades, windscreen nano coating

Got to hear from few nano coating service providers that, due to the water repellent activity, windscreen wiper blades wont be necessary. Any pros and cons about this. Even after the nano coating is applied, if necessary we can still use the wiper blades. They provide at least 2 years gurantee for the coating. Within a range of Rs. 5000 this can be done. I think it is a good option than changing the wipers blades.

• Haha 2

You need wipers... with the nano coating the water beads off...but it simply does not do that full wipe during the rain as the water trails still remain. So do not fall for the marketing gimmicks. Granted..you might be able to get away with slightly worn out wiper blades but then if the wiper blades are worn out then it messes up the water trails and obstructs your view and will even scratch the windscreen (first the anno coating and then the glass itself) 

You need good wiper blades for that clear wipe of the windscreen. The nano coating will HELP the blades achieve that but it does NOT replace the need for wipers.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of people recommend this to me but I'm still on the fence on putting something up on my windscreen :), I want to try it first on the windows, rear-view mirrors and maybe my back windows.

But to answer your question I don't think coining the term 'replacing' windshield wipers is adequate though, at best it'll help greatly with visibility.

5000? Someone told me it was 2500? Perhaps there are various levels of quality to this as well?

Bottom line is...DO NOT THINK THIS IS A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR WIPERS !!! NOR THAT IT IS A WAY FOR YOU TO NEVER CHANGE YOUR WIPER BLADES ! (see my reply above).

NOT HAVING FUNCTIONING WIPERS AND BAD WIPER BLADES IS DANGEROUS AND CAN COMPROMISE YOUR SAFETY AND THAT OF YOUR PASSENGERS AND OTHER ROADUSERS !!!

This is something, if done properly, can help what your wipers are supposed to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had a large scratch on my windscreen and had to solve that and from the polishing place got a nano coating as well, what I feel is it stays well for few months and loosen the quality quite quickly. And in the heavy rain wipers are always needed.May be the one I got was not a high quality one, anyway it's better to check them out before applying the coating.

Agree with the fellow member too

I'm sure there is a reason the manufactures  have wiper blades - even premium brands  such as Bentley,  AMG have them on for a reason.

Who ever came up with this story of 2 year warranty and stuff  - well he/she i  good at selling a fridge to an Eskimo . The coating will help  but not replace.

What will they come up next ??????

1 hour ago, mazdaspeed said:

Agree with the fellow member too

I'm sure there is a reason the manufactures  have wiper blades - even premium brands  such as Bentley,  AMG have them on for a reason.

Who ever came up with this story of 2 year warranty and stuff  - well he/she i  good at selling a fridge to an Eskimo . The coating will help  but not replace.

What will they come up next ??????

How about Apsara fuel savers and omnipotent valampuris... Oh wait... 

• Haha 4

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I think it would probably make me really anxious knowing I don't have normal wipers. I mean even if I keep them as extra, how would it work with ice? Like when you scrape off the ice would you damage the coat? Also if you get mud or dust on your windshield, would the water pumps work properly with such a coat applied on the window? I just ask because I'm not sure and I'm interested in the topic. I just changed my wipers a few weeks ago and I'm really proud of myself cause I had to search for the dimensions that I needed and found it all on www.cararac.com which was the fisrt time I did something by myself on the car, so I'm pretty proud of that.

Edited by KevinSkinner

4 hours ago, KevinSkinner said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I think it would probably make me really anxious knowing I don't have normal wipers.

No...no wipers is a definite NO...

It is just that in SL there are some stupid coating suppliers who are spreading false info just to get people to get the glass coating done. Sadly there are plenty of people who buy in to these statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Members,

I have done this coating long time ago, it is a thin coating of a paint only lasts for two to three months, Still on heavy rain any vehicle have to use wipers to get a better vision for driving. Advertisers who do this in Sri Lanka are giving all false benefits that the driver will have to make quick money.

My advice is to get a polish with a machine with correct polish, instead of applying all types of coatings.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

6 hours ago, Sylvi said:

I have done this coating long time ago, it is a thin coating of a paint only lasts for two to three months,

Coatings have changed quite a lot over the last few years. How long it lasts depends on the type of coating that is being used and some lasts up to 18-24 months (it has several layers and with some types of coatings they give you an additive to apply every 3 to 4 months). Also, you need to use a coating friendly shampoo when washing the car and most car shampoos in SL or at car washes are not coating friendly.

But yes...all this claim about wipers not being needed is nothing but false advertising to make a quick buck. The coating helps the wiper with wiping, but it definitely does not a replacement for wipers. Having said that...I am shocked to see that people actually fall for this...I mean c'mon...how much are a pair of wiper blades ? Do you really save that much by not using your wipers ?