• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is it necessary to repaint ? (front bumper) (pearl white)

roosht3

Question

Today there was a deepgroove to my front bumper C-HR 17 JDM  from an accident without even knowing. Either a biker or strong sharp something (attached photo). Inner plastic is visible therefore I thought of repainting. 

I've got some quotation from several places

1. Toyota
    1. If Insurance claim 25K
    2. Own 16K
  2. Some outside places around my area (both uses debeer paint)
    1. One person 5K with half bumper with 3 years warranty
    2. Second person 8K with full bumper with 5 years warranty (Insurance agent recommended) 

I am pretty nervous about getting it done in outside places, since bumper has to be removed and reclipped (my understanding is, C-HR bumper clips are one time and needs to freshly put for exact fit second time)

Or on second thought Do I really have to repair this ? 

If I am to do Will toyota do an excellent job ? 

image.png

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, roosht3 said:

Today there was a deepgroove to my front bumper C-HR 17 JDM  from an accident without even knowing. Either a biker or strong sharp something (attached photo). Inner plastic is visible therefore I thought of repainting. 

I've got some quotation from several places

1. Toyota
    1. If Insurance claim 25K
    2. Own 16K
  2. Some outside places around my area (both uses debeer paint)
    1. One person 5K with half bumper with 3 years warranty
    2. Second person 8K with full bumper with 5 years warranty (Insurance agent recommended) 

I am pretty nervous about getting it done in outside places, since bumper has to be removed and reclipped (my understanding is, C-HR bumper clips are one time and needs to freshly put for exact fit second time)

Or on second thought Do I really have to repair this ? 

If I am to do Will toyota do an excellent job ? 

image.png

Every modern car these days comes with one time clips you have to replace. And a CHR is just another car, so a decent mechanic can do the repair and refix.

But do you really want to do the repair? By the looks of it,  it seems just 1" long to me. Do you really want to repaint the whole/part of the bumper just for that ? If I were you I would wait until I get more scratches and dents to do a complete pait job. ? As bumpers are always prone to such.

That way you could save the NCB on insurance as well. 

No experience with TL, but the 'agent' doesnt always gurantee excellent service.

• Like 3

It's just a small scratch. Not worth the hassle or money to do a proper paint. Just get a bottle of touchup paint for the colour code from eBay or a Ali express and DIY. It will not be a perfect finish but will stop it from sticking out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 1

I don't think they'll remove the bumper for small paint job. Normally they cover the other area and will do the job.

Secondly, this is not worth to do at all. Cloudy paint patches, color miss matching, time hassle and financial lost is high on this kind of repairs.

• Like 1

Its pearl white...pearl white is a b**** to match. A good garage with proper color matching equipment can get it really really close (like 95-98%)...but there still will be a slight difference in shade in the color for anyone with a keen eye. 

It simply is not worth fixing it for that...just get the touch up spray...mask around the scratch with some paper and tape and just give it one quick squirt. (do not put multiple coats as it will show and you will drip the paint). Make sure that the masking is really close and that only the scratch is visible.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

Well...I would say go with what the plate says....the difference is the degree of shade (? i.e. pigmentation level, etc..)

Also, like I said....you only need a sliver to just cover that 0.5 cm strip...get the masking tape really really really close to the cut and just put one small spray. Let it dry and follow up with another light.  It should be thin enough that the difference between 4,7 and C should not be evident to the naked eye at first glance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well...I would say go with what the plate says....the difference is the degree of shade (? i.e. pigmentation level, etc..)

Also, like I said....you only need a sliver to just cover that 0.5 cm strip...get the masking tape really really really close to the cut and just put one small spray. Let it dry and follow up with another light.  It should be thin enough that the difference between 4,7 and C should not be evident to the naked eye at first glance.

The plate color says 070 only.  070 is translucent pearl. I read reviews who used 070 and it turned out greyish. This is OEM touch paint though and recommended to use 040 with it. 

image.thumb.png.e327be615a7b99326ec659b150dc23f8.png

Top of this on aliexpress I couldn't find the 070 code rather some other white pearls. It is hard to find a spray paint ?

As the scratch is linear with a width of no more than a couple of millimeters, you don't need a spray paint which can be very messy if not done properly. The ones you found online should be fine. 

As for colour matching, the results may not be perfect as pearl white is very difficult to match and the density of the pigment/particles will be different. 

I have had excellent results with silver colour cars with both genuine Nissan touch up paint on a Nissan and something cheap off aliexpress matched to the color code on a Toyota. 

As it is a small scratch and you are likely to pick up these in sri Lanka traffic best thing is to just touchup as best as you can and learn to ignore it. After all even if you do the whole buffer, it may end up being slightly different to the rest of the car. 

I have to ask...do you really need to touch this up ?

By the way..the masking in that picture sucks...you need to be tighter with your won. Hmm..I suppose SL does not have the small touch up cans anymore ? A few years ago a few shops in Delkanda had the mini spray can pen things. If you hand paint it..then you just need one small swipe. Do not do multiple coats.