• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise on bumps, uneven roads. (C-HR)

roosht3

Question

I own a C-HR YOM 17. I've been hearing a noise when the whole body is uneven. and slow. (also attaching a video)

There is a noise which mostly heard on right side of the vehicle. (but not sure where it is really coming from). The sound is felt on the accelerator.  Tried it with a mechanic removed all wheels tested sway bar, links, bushes, rods and ball joints. Everything is perfect and normal. What could be the issue if you guys had any experience before ?

Noises can be heard on: 01~02 secs, 09-10 secs, 22-23 secs,  29-32 secs (very clearly). 

Edited by roosht3

18 answers to this question

13 hours ago, roosht3 said:

I own a C-HR YOM 17. I've been hearing a noise when the whole body is uneven. and slow. (also attaching a video)

There is a noise which mostly heard on right side of the vehicle. (but not sure where it is really coming from). The sound is felt on the accelerator.  Tried it with a mechanic removed all wheels tested sway bar, links, bushes, rods and ball joints. Everything is perfect and normal. What could be the issue if you guys had any experience before ?

Steering rack.

1 hour ago, mcs627 said:

Steering rack.

Checked that as well. It is also normal. 

40 minutes ago, Randeewa said:

Check noise only hear hitting bumps when steering wheel straight position (not turning right or left)

Even on straight position it comes. It is like a noise that some nut is loose or needs lubrication kind of noise. 

Are you talking about the sound that comes at about 24~25 seconds ? Those kinds of knocking sounds can be very deceptive. I would say now go further down the undercarriage....look for loose exhaust bushes, body kit, etc...any messed up engine transmission, differential mounts, etc...

• Thanks 1

@iRage Noises can be heard on: 01~02 secs, 09-10 secs, 22-23 secs,  29-32 secs (very clearly).  It is not exactly clear in this scenario heard like duk duk but I feel like some part needs lubrication or a nut is loose kinda sound.

It is heard very well on concrete road moving slowly. 

3 hours ago, roosht3 said:

@iRage Noises can be heard on: 01~02 secs, 09-10 secs, 22-23 secs,  29-32 secs (very clearly).  It is not exactly clear in this scenario heard like duk duk but I feel like some part needs lubrication or a nut is loose kinda sound.

It is heard very well on concrete road moving slowly. 

I think my laptop's speakers are worn out..pretty hard to hear. Just expand a bit more on the search. I keep on talking about a hammering to look for hen testing a RAV4...that thing sounds like someone is hitting the floorboard with a hammer under the rear passenger seat when in reality is it coming from the transfer case. In the Fortuner I had a rattle that came from the behind dashboard...discovered it to be the side step outside the car that had gotten damaged. Sound transfers through metal and travels . So yeah....at least you can be relieved that the suspension is fine :) 

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I think my laptop's speakers are worn out..pretty hard to hear. Just expand a bit more on the search. I keep on talking about a hammering to look for hen testing a RAV4...that thing sounds like someone is hitting the floorboard with a hammer under the rear passenger seat when in reality is it coming from the transfer case. In the Fortuner I had a rattle that came from the behind dashboard...discovered it to be the side step outside the car that had gotten damaged. Sound transfers through metal and travels . So yeah....at least you can be relieved that the suspension is fine :) 

Main problem is reproducing the same sound. A similar incident to a guy from C-HR club, happens to be the sway bar needed some greasing for him (at sterling). I went there, They took me on a ride it was audible one or two times. then never.

I am attaching another video. there you can see the noise clearly. Same action thrice but only heard in first time.  Noise is heard at starting from 06th second. I am doing a reverse doing the same motion again the sound is no more. The front right wheel contact the concrete and makes the noise. 

Edited by roosht3

20 minutes ago, roosht3 said:

Main problem is reproducing the same sound. A similar incident to a guy from C-HR club, happens to be the sway bar needed some greasing for him (at sterling). I went there, They took me on a ride it was audible one or two times. then never.

I am attaching another video. there you can see the noise clearly. Same action thrice but only heard in first time.  Noise is heard at starting from 06th second. I am doing a reverse doing the same motion again the sound is no more. The front right wheel contact the concrete and makes the noise. 

Oh...okay..the duduk duk...not the tak tak metalic sound I thought I heard in the previous video. So yeah..that sounds less like something metallic from somewhere else. So....did you grease everything up ? and when greasing don't stop at one or two things..go the whole nine yards. If the sway bar needed greasing the other joints probably would too. Are you sure that there is no play in any of these bushes as well ?

On a separate note...this is one gripe I have about Sri Lankan service stations making such big deal out of under carriage cleaning and charging crazy money for it. Putting all these weird chemicals and stuff is in fact bad for the lubrication that is already there and the rubber components themselves. The chemicals strip all the grease and silicon lubricants away ...and then dries up the rubber parts that they prematurely start cracking. Sri Lankans need to learn to appreciate the power of water. Even after wading in water and such...just wash it thoroughly in all the creases and joints and curves with water.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, iRage said:

Oh...okay..the duduk duk...not the tak tak metalic sound I thought I heard in the previous video. So yeah..that sounds less like something metallic from somewhere else. So....did you grease everything up ? and when greasing don't stop at one or two things..go the whole nine yards. If the sway bar needed greasing the other joints probably would too. Are you sure that there is no play in any of these bushes as well ?

On a separate note...this is one gripe I have about Sri Lankan service stations making such big deal out of under carriage cleaning and charging crazy money for it. Putting all these weird chemicals and stuff is in fact bad for the lubrication that is already there and the rubber components themselves. The chemicals strip all the grease and silicon lubricants away ...and then dries up the rubber parts that they prematurely start cracking. Sri Lankans need to learn to appreciate the power of water. Even after wading in water and such...just wash it thoroughly in all the creases and joints and curves with water.

No. didn't grease anything. Since they couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I am pretty sure there is no play around anything because personally I was trying to pry beside them. Irrelevant to the topic I saw a link in back lower left side arm with a sensor attached it had a minor play. When inquired replied as It is by design. 

Their verdict was to note down instances, weight distribution at the time of the sound. Finally, insisted me to run for few miles and let the vechile make more audible noise to identify the problem.

If I am to grease up where should I ? since this is my first vehicle I am no brainer in this stuff ! where would you recommend for a good garage 

On another note I tried this question in a Japanese C-HR club. One guy told me there is a common issue with coilover spring of C-HR where it loses tension overtime and needs to add tension again. Toyota Japan did it for free. But his sound completely different than mine. 

Edited by roosht3

Well...try greasing the control arm joints, around the sway bar links, sway bar bushes; etc...just look at the bottom and it will be pretty obvious....

As for the sensor...no idea what that is....cars with VSC, TRC, etc..have various sensors going  it to various parts of the car including suspension and brake.

I can't understand why garages in Sri Lanka are so stuck up hen it comes to doing basic things and makes a big task out of everything. Would it have hurt so much to lubricate the joints and then tell you to observe what is happening ? Last Saturday I went to my Toyota dealer because the rear suspension felt loose. Went for a test drive...put it up on the hoist..pried and tugged on everything until we found a play in the control arms. They greased everything up and said to come back on Friday when the part is available. but in Sri Lanka...it seems like an arranged marriage is simpler than the things these garages make you do. For garages...I used to take my Mark X to Platinum and then an ex Toyota mechanic and the mechanic we have been using for the last 35 years. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, harshansenadhir said:

I would narrow down to front right hand suspension. though you said the previous garage checked the suspension, still worth to try a second opinion on following 

1. Front righthand shock mount 

2. Front righthand sway-bar link 

Checked at 3 places. 

1. Ex toyota employee recommended mechanic

2. Another guy recommended by a doc who had a similar sound like this. 

3. Sterling recommended by C-HR club member who also had this similar issue. 

1 hour ago, roosht3 said:

Checked at 3 places. 

1. Ex toyota employee recommended mechanic

2. Another guy recommended by a doc who had a similar sound like this. 

3. Sterling recommended by C-HR club member who also had this similar issue. 

did they not hear the sound during a test drive or heard the sound and could not diagnose what it is?

31 minutes ago, harshansenadhir said:

did they not hear the sound during a test drive or heard the sound and could not diagnose what it is?

1st guy heard one or two times.

2nd guy could reproduce it everytime on a coconut garden. 

at sterling it came one or two times. 

at all 3 places they checked but couldn't identify the issue. 

Came to remember when I was riding a a 240 Allion there was a similar (probably not as sharp as yours) thud coming when the front wheel bumped over at a certain steering angle. It never occurred when driving straight even on rough roads and never frequent. After a long time found out it was due to a bad shock mount. The mount was not broken but when inspected from the engine bay the mount appeared asymmetrically positioned. Replacing it solved the problem. Just for your information ?

Edited by aamarakoon
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, roosht3 said:

1st guy heard one or two times.

2nd guy could reproduce it everytime on a coconut garden. 

at sterling it came one or two times. 

at all 3 places they checked but couldn't identify the issue. 

I would still go with shock mount (front RH) worth a removal inspection I believe 

• Like 1