Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Skyonline

Govt. suspends motor vehicles imports for 1 year

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

What's next?  A pay increase for our poor hardworking ministers, suggested and approved / ratified by themselves like last time? 🤮

I would say a hardship allowance...for the work they have to do above and beyond their call of duty during the pandemic.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Statement from Vehicle Importers Association highlighting 5 key issues

Import ban on motor vehicles

The government has imposed a complete ban on Motor Vehicles since March 2020 sighting foreign currency out-flows as the main reason. This measure has been strictly imposed and even those vehicles with already established letters of credit have not been permitted in to the country.

This has negatively impacted the Sri Lankan economy as well as vehicle importers and all related industries. These entrepreneurs have been in the motor vehicle industry for generations. Furthermore, those providing supporting services for motor vehicles have been adversely affected.

Erroneous information received by the Government regarding existing stocks

VIASL carried out a survey regarding the current stock situation. As per this report, there are less than 3,000 motor vehicles in the market and this is not even sufficient to cater to at least two and half months demand. Hence, lifting the import ban immediately is paramount for the survival of our trade.

Issues regarding purchasing a vehicle locally under the concessionary permit

Even though a circular has been issued detailing an arrangement for permit holders to purchase cars locally, no instructions have been issued to importers detailing how the permits can be redeemed. Furthermore, since most importers are without stock, the importers are facing the difficulty of catering to the preferred choice of permit holders.

Severe issues faced by vehicle importers and related parties

Vehicle importers provide various employment opportunities ranging from accountants, sales executives, marketing
executives, drivers, cleaners, security staff, etc. Furthermore, service areas such as clearing agents, interior cleaners, mechanics, car carrier operators and service centers are directly dependent on importation of motor vehicles. 

100,000 direct and indirect employees will have to be made redundant if the ban is to continue further. This would mean around 350,000-400,000 dependents of these employees would be facing severe financial difficulties  threatening survival.

Negative Impact on the Economy

For our economy to move forward transportation and mobility is essential. As per the people-centric economic development vision of our Hon. President Gotabaya Rajapaksa; Fisheries Sector, Milk Products, Tourism Industry, Construction Industry as well as Small & Medium scale Industries need to be boosted and developed. For this to materialize vehicles such as small and medium size vans, trucks, buses, smaller motor-cars etc need to be imported in to the local market at a very affordable price.

Issues with local assembling

An already completed product in China or India is dismantled and then carefully repacked in to several parts and imported as spare parts to Sri Lanka, evading the import tax applicable on a finished motor vehicle. Then the same vehicle is reassembled back in these so called workshops and sold to the general Sri Lankan public.

The local assembling companies mainly import an almost finished product and add minimal value to it. Hence the CIF (Cost, Freight & Insurance) value or the amount of foreign currency sent out of the country is perhaps more than the CIF value of a good quality Japanese vehicle.

So far, the intended objective of the government, in promoting vehicle assembling industry using locally manufactured parts had not been achieved and this process has not generated any export revenue.

Lifting the ban on motor vehicle importation

We urge to government lift the ban on motor vehicles at the earliest for the mobility of our economy and development of various industries. Furthermore, concessions need to be provided for categories such as small motor-cars, trucks, vans and buses. This will enable mobility and development of people-centric economic sectors while giving the motor vehicle importers to survive.

More Info - http://www.newswire.lk/2020/10/02/statement-from-vehicle-importers-association-highlighting-5-key-issues/

Edited by Skyonline
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people actually still buying vehicles at these ridiculously inflated prices ??

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, VWvortex said:

Are people actually still buying vehicles at these ridiculously inflated prices ??

Apparently yes. One of friends bought a 2016 Premio for 8.2M despite being told how stupid that would be. However some of them have crossed 9M now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, Skyonline said:

Severe issues faced by vehicle importers and related parties

Vehicle importers provide various employment opportunities ranging from accountants, sales executives, marketing executives, drivers, cleaners, security staff, etc. Furthermore, service areas such as clearing agents, interior cleaners, mechanics, car carrier operators and service centers are directly dependent on importation of motor vehicles. 

100,000 direct and indirect employees will have to be made redundant if the ban is to continue further. This would mean around 350,000-400,000 dependents of these employees would be facing severe financial difficulties  threatening survival.

Are those numbers true? 

400,000 means 2% of the population of SL. 😱

 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, Skyonline said:

Issues with local assembling

An already completed product in China or India is dismantled and then carefully repacked in to several parts and imported as spare parts to Sri Lanka, evading the import tax applicable on a finished motor vehicle. Then the same vehicle is reassembled back in these so called workshops and sold to the general Sri Lankan public.

Dismantled in china or India and Reassembling??

Who is doing this? Micro, Ideal? 🔨

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hrm said:

Apparently yes. One of friends bought a 2016 Premio for 8.2M despite being told how stupid that would be. However some of them have crossed 9M now.

Wow! Am curious: What was his justification? As your friend- He must be a smart chap, as he's buying a luxury vehicle and not a commercial vehicle, he obviously had the option not to purchase right now, so I would be quite interested as to the logic behind the purchase now vs 12 months from now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Wow! Am curious: What was his justification? As your friend- He must be a smart chap, as he's buying a luxury vehicle and not a commercial vehicle, he obviously had the option not to purchase right now, so I would be quite interested as to the logic behind the purchase now vs 12 months from now? 

He has sold his Axio and looking for a car for about a month. His justification was simply prices would not come down at least for a year or so and can't wait that much. Told him if he really want to spend 8M+ for a car let it be a SUV not another sedan which would be more or less same as his old car. Made an intervention through his reporting manager at office also but didn't work out :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hrm said:

He has sold his Axio and looking for a car for about a month. His justification was simply prices would not come down at least for a year or so and can't wait that much. Told him if he really want to spend 8M+ for a car let it be a SUV not another sedan which would be more or less same as his old car. Made an intervention through his reporting manager at office also but didn't work out :D 

Ah! But see, in his case as he already sold a vehicle at the current prices he is probably only paying slight premium for the Premio. Would be better if he could have sold now at the current inflated prices and waited 12 months to buy as you suggested in order to take advantage of the market but that's in an ideal world....We are all so attached to our cars, sometimes we can't see beyond the fact that cars aren't really a necessity. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody keeps predicting the vehicle prices to come down. It might not materialize after all as the previous idiotic tax structure favored high value cars due to taxing based on CC

This is how we ended up will many Audis/ BMWs/ Mercs not to mention the exotics.

In 2007 Price of a Allion was Rs. 7.2 Mn. prior to issuing permits and messing up the market.

Most likely there will be a new duty structure when the restriction is taken out may be with the new budget.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kush said:

Everybody keeps predicting the vehicle prices to come down. It might not materialize after all as the previous idiotic tax structure favored high value cars due to taxing based on CC

This is how we ended up will many Audis/ BMWs/ Mercs not to mention the exotics.

In 2007 Price of a Allion was Rs. 7.2 Mn. prior to issuing permits and messing up the market.

Most likely there will be a new duty structure when the restriction is taken out may be with the new budget.

 

I highly doubt it, the way things are going government might extend the restrictions further, if at all they will increase the taxes to a point that only who want will bring down a vehicle.

 

The reason for the change to CC was due to the fact that many found loop holes in the system to undervalue and bring down the vehicles at cheaper prices whilst the black money launderers were having a field day sending money out of the country. (in your view which is good, sending money the legal way or by illegal means thereby bringing down the economy further?)

In 2004 when I started life as a car sales person a Suzuki Liana was 1.9mil, Grand Vitara was 3.2mil a Freelander was around 7.0mil and a Disocvery 2 was 9.5mil. Gradually the duty went up and by 2007-10 duties were at a high. A C Class was selling for 24mil, a Range Rover was around 40+Mil, a S Class was 60mil, it all changed in 2010 mid when the duty was reduced (to half in some cases E Class from 30mil came down to 16mil, S from 60mil to 30mil) and then the sudden boom happened, again gradually the duty was increased trying to limit imports but it didnt change much until the luxury tax on vehicles was imposed by the previous government on top of the duty. 90% of vehicles in the market have come in without paying the luxury tax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed a flattening of the price increment.... may be due to the current covid wave or due to some other reason... I was looking for a vitz for one my relative.... most cars are unsold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, priyanka said:

I have noticed a flattening of the price increment.... may be due to the current covid wave or due to some other reason... I was looking for a vitz for one my relative.... most cars are unsold 

Simple market dynamics at work....excessive demand that exceeds supply would push up prices. When demand dies down the excess of supply would push the prices down. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vitz at 4m was felt overpriced too.I wonder who buy at 6m now a days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...