• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota 10W30 engine oil instead 0W20 

Harshadewa

In my opinion, unless you know your engine is worn out (Running on low compression), just keep using the same oil weight. I have a car with almost 220,000km and I still use the factory oil weight with zero issues.

Also I don't think using mileage is a good method of judging engine health.

23 hours ago, Harshadewa said:

Hi,

I have Axio Hybrid 2014.
Current mileage is nearly 116000.
I'm using 0W20 since the beginning.
Someone said as I've run 116000, I should use 10W30.

Is there any truth to it?

Thanks

Using 0W-20 is not a hard fast requirement. Manufacturers recommend the 20 weight oil for fuel efficiency (the thinner oil creates less surface resistance thus the engine finds it easier to move). However, lighter oils thin out under high temperatures (like what you would experience on long runs in hot weather...or long sitting around in traffic times or even spirited driving). So manufacturers do recommend heavier oils for better heat absorption (there are ranges where 20/30 and even 40 work).

When engines reach high mileages people are told to use heavier oils because with average wear and tare the engine would have a bit of "loss in compression"-ness that is natural (its like after all that grinding and rubbing the surfaces are slightly worn out so it is not as tight as it used to be <-- now that is a sentence I never thought I would say over here). The heavier oil with its added resistance creates that bit of tightness that has been lost. Whether you need it or not..depends on the condition of your engine. It is not an absolute must....nor is it an absolute not needed thing either. There are plenty of threads discussing the merits of using a thin (20) oil vs a heavier oil (30) so do a search and see what works for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OW20 to 10W30 is a bit of a jump mate, I don't know much about Axio engines or the state your particular engine is in.

But as a reference 10W30 and 15W40 are usually used in 20+ year old Starlets clocking close to 200k kms.

Not sure what you could do with this information however, best of luck!

MC 

17 minutes ago, MaleCortana said:

OW20 to 10W30 is a bit of a jump mate, I don't know much about Axio engines or the state your particular engine is in.

But as a reference 10W30 and 15W40 are usually used in 20+ year old Starlets clocking close to 200k kms.

Not sure what you could do with this information however, best of luck!

MC 

actually that has no bearing what so ever. Yes..if the engine worn out then you do use heavier oils to increase surface to surface resistance. But other factors on why you would use heavier oils would be the conditions the vehicle will be used in and how it is being used. You can have have a low mileage 3 year old car that is raced and it will probably using even up to 40 weight oil because the engine runs high. I had a Mark X with just 68,000km and I used 40 weight oi because I would do non-stop 300 km runs in high temps (lighter oils would thin out and I could hear the engine suffering). I have said this many many times...if you look a the user manual of Axios, Aquas, etc..it clearly states that the 0W-20 is recommended in the interest of fuel efficiency. There are other recommended oil weights and it goes on to say that the nearest dealer is to be contacted for the most appropriate oil type. In SL for new cars 0-20 is used for fuel efficiency just as the manufacturer suggests....but depending on how one uses the car..they may choose to move to heavier oils.

15 minutes ago, iRage said:

actually that has no bearing what so ever. Yes..if the engine worn out then you do use heavier oils to increase surface to surface resistance. But other factors on why you would use heavier oils would be the conditions the vehicle will be used in and how it is being used. You can have have a low mileage 3 year old car that is raced and it will probably using even up to 40 weight oil because the engine runs high. I had a Mark X with just 68,000km and I used 40 weight oi because I would do non-stop 300 km runs in high temps (lighter oils would thin out and I could hear the engine suffering). I have said this many many times...if you look a the user manual of Axios, Aquas, etc..it clearly states that the 0W-20 is recommended in the interest of fuel efficiency. There are other recommended oil weights and it goes on to say that the nearest dealer is to be contacted for the most appropriate oil type. In SL for new cars 0-20 is used for fuel efficiency just as the manufacturer suggests....but depending on how one uses the car..they may choose to move to heavier oils.

Interesting, I stand corrected then, I guess I made a very generalized statement of the average user comparison. Comparing kilometers within cars isn't an apples to apples comparison it seems.