• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My EP91 - First Car!

MaleCortana

Hi Guys! So you've probably seen me ask questions (relatively dumb ones tbh) regarding a Starlet EP91 and I decided to post some pictures here! Hopefully looking to make this a thread during its tenure with me. She's a Reflect F Limited model with a three speed auto and comes in the Toyota paint code "Super White" (Checked the serial number). English numbers and has done close to a 195k kms.

IMG-20200802-WA0003.jpg

InkedIMG-20200802-WA0005_LI.jpg

InkedIMG-20200802-WA0006_LI.jpg

InkedIMG-20200802-WA0008_LI.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

Hi Guys! So you've probably seen me ask questions (relatively dumb ones tbh) regarding a Starlet EP91 and I decided to post some pictures here! Hopefully looking to make this a thread during its tenure with me. She's a Reflect F Limited model with a three speed auto and comes in the Toyota paint code "Super White" (Checked the serial number). English numbers and has done close to a 195k kms.

Congratulations ! You have achieved the almost unthinkable here ! Finding a Starlet that is still a Starlet :)

So...we need to christen the car with a name :) Looking forward to seeing her slowly progressing in to something unique :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

IMG-20200802-WA0003.jpg

InkedIMG-20200802-WA0006_LI.jpg

Congratulations and a sweet ride that is!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

IMG-20200802-WA0003.jpg

Very neat, original looking car.! Please keep it true to it`s roots. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Congratulations ! You have achieved the almost unthinkable here ! Finding a Starlet that is still a Starlet :)

So...we need to christen the car with a name :) Looking forward to seeing her slowly progressing in to something unique :)

haha thanks! 

Still thinking of a way to make her unique, but first I'm thinking of removing all her current flaws (seatbelt lights that are always on, super slow windows) and then going to think of building it up! 

4 minutes ago, MrCat said:

Very neat, original looking car.! Please keep it true to it`s roots. :) 

Thanks! Been getting a lot of peer pressure to slap a Glanza kit on it :( I'm conflicted. Maybe a nicer set of wheels to start with *shrugs* :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaleCortana said:

haha thanks! 

Still thinking of a way to make her unique, but first I'm thinking of removing all her current flaws (seatbelt lights that are always on, super slow windows) and then going to think of building it up! 

Sometimes the best way to make it unique is to keep it stock just like it just drove off the production line. Mainly because there are so many modified Starlets around. So you can look in to keeping the original look with perhaps original allow wheels, etc...and then make some subtle changes to make the car perform better (better brakes, better exhaust and intake system, etc...). then if you really want to go the extra mile..you can see what original accessories Toyota offered for the car and start hunting them down :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Sometimes the best way to make it unique is to keep it stock just like it just drove off the production line. Mainly because there are so many modified Starlets around. So you can look in to keeping the original look with perhaps original allow wheels, etc...and then make some subtle changes to make the car perform better (better brakes, better exhaust and intake system, etc...). then if you really want to go the extra mile..you can see what original accessories Toyota offered for the car and start hunting them down :)

@iRage That's actually some wonderful insight, I realized that putting a Glanza kit on it is the equivalent of ricing good 'ol Lancers to sound/look like Evos. (often failing at both) 

I guess I will try to make it look like it rolled off the factory (It did roll off as the exact specification as is). It will be a bit of challenge to find up the factory options but it seems like a worthy challenge to endure :) 

Thanks! 

21 hours ago, MaleCortana said:

Thanks! Been getting a lot of peer pressure to slap a Glanza kit on it :( I'm conflicted. Maybe a nicer set of wheels to start with *shrugs* :) 

I would definitely change those wheels, Congrats on the new aquisition

4 hours ago, GK_007 said:

Fine specimen of a EP91. Do such unmolested starlets even exist ? ? 

Great find buddy !

Thanks! She was a North Western gal, now she's a Western Province gal ? I'm assuming there are more, just outside of Colombo perhaps.

Thanks! @Twin Turbo

Already changed the engine oil, she's running Toyota Synthetic 15W45 now and put in a Toyota filter as well, must change the transmission fluid. 

What do you mean by a timing kit? If what you mean is a timing belt + bearings I have changed that already, water pump looks new so it must have been changed at 100k kms.

MC

Edited by MaleCortana
Forgot to tag the individual I was responding to

• 3 weeks later...

Problems
Head lamp - LED Conversion (?)
Transmission Fluid change
Car clock
Seat belt light indicators
Passenger side door handle
Remote Key 
Rear hatch deck clips
Rear lights clean
Radio

Upgrades
Rims
Suspension 
Breaks 
Interior

Current to-do list, once I deal with these the problems listed above the car should be a fully restored EP91 did the math and should cost about 30-40k to get all the problems fixed, then to the fun part of truly making the car my own :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Someway or the other I missed this thread! That's a nice looking Starlet you've got there.  Fun car with a peppy and reliable  motor( I myself have an EP71 running a 4EFE). Happy to see one that's not overly modded. Looking forward to read more about your car on this thread. Congrats! 

On 9/14/2020 at 8:06 PM, MaleCortana said:

Problems
Head lamp - LED Conversion (?)

What issue are you having with the Head lamps?

50 minutes ago, matroska said:

Someway or the other I missed this thread! That's a nice looking Starlet you've got there.  Fun car with a peppy and reliable  motor( I myself have an EP71 running a 4EFE). Happy to see one that's not overly modded. Looking forward to read more about your car on this thread. Congrats! 

What issue are you having with the Head lamps?

Thanks! EP71 with a 4EFE? that's amazing! Headlamps issue was somewhat sorted by replacing the bulbs, will be looking at Halogens in the future but I've changed my mind from LEDs (too scattered)

37 minutes ago, iRage said:

How did you swap the AT fluid ? Did you clean out the AT filter ? or replace it ? 

Its a metal mesh so can be cleaned out or replaced 

The AT filter was cleaned out! (That's the thing with the magnet right? My technical knowledge is improving albeit still at a slower rate) the fluid is funnelled in through the dipstick.